Quantcast

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Got an email from Health First Colorado (the CO Medicaid program) about an app to help track potential exposure.

By opting in, your Android or iPhone device will share anonymous tokens with other CO Exposure Notifications users using your phone’s Bluetooth. If another user you’ve been near tests positive for COVID-19 within a 14-day period, the service will notify you. If you test positive, you can easily and anonymously notify others to stop the spread of COVID-19.
So the way I understand it is, that it detects other BT devices near your phone, checks if it has this app installed, and basically saves that connection anonymously in your app. And then, if the user of an app that you've been near self-reports through the app that they test positive for COVID, you get a notification. Sound right?

Kinda still thinking through whether or not this is awesome or just too Big Brother-y for me.

EDIT: okay not an app, but already baked into the phone OS just need to turn it on? I'm always the last to hear about this shit. Anycrap, SIL and her BF are already opted in. I also just did. Seems SMRT.

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Got an email from Health First Colorado (the CO Medicaid program) about an app to help track potential exposure.

So the way I understand it is, that it detects other BT devices near your phone, checks if it has this app installed, and basically saves that connection anonymously in your app. And then, if the user of an app that you've been near self-reports through the app that they test positive for COVID, you get a notification. Sound right?

Kinda still thinking through whether or not this is awesome or just too Big Brother-y for me.
Sounds about the same as the apps used here in Europe. I installed the Italian one and it‘s basically useless I‘d say, because almost no one uses it. Each country in Europe did their own apps but outcome is pretty much the same everywhere.
The idea itself is obviously good as you‘d have contact tracing that works, but failed pretty much everywhere In Europe imo. Correct me if I‘m wrong regarding the successful implementation.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

a similar system is credited to South Korea keeping spread in control.

but yea, feels intrusive. they should have just deployed it without telling us and begged forgiveness later if it was found out.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

but yea, feels intrusive. they should have just deployed it without telling us and begged forgiveness later if it was found out.
Like Google Maps having been tracking every user even when not using the app for years without people noticing or caring.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO

So not an app, but already baked into the iPhone OS so I just needed to turn it on i.e. they deployed it w/o telling us. But, you have to opt in, so that's the rub. Though it does look like for Android devices one has to actually download something?

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Correct me if I‘m wrong regarding the successful implementation.
I heard Ireland did a good job for a fraction of what other countries spent and is still adding features. Adoption rate in Germany is decent, but functionality could be improved. I think there’s international compatibility with a few countries at the moment.

Not making this up, my app just notified me while I was typing to check my status and it informed me that I had one low risk encounter. Now if it would tell me when and where... I suppose another 30 million or so and they could add that feature.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I heard Ireland did a good job for a fraction of what other countries spent and is still adding features. Adoption rate in Germany is decent, but functionality could be improved. I think there’s international compatibility with a few countries at the moment.

Not making this up, my app just notified me while I was typing to check my status and it informed me that I had one low risk encounter. Now if it would tell me when and where... I suppose another 30 million or so and they could add that feature.
The app's (at least what I read on the CO one) don't actually record your location. I guess if they're recording times they could tell you midday last Monday you were potentially exposed and then you'd have to work out where you were.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
The app's (at least what I read on the CO one) don't actually record your location. I guess if they're recording times they could tell you midday last Monday you were potentially exposed and then you'd have to work out where you were.
You don't have to work out where you were - you just go to your Google Maps history and check that time... :D

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
They say the app only records a contact, no time. But I am wondering how it knows when to erase the data. :tinfoil:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
You think it's bad on your side? Poland is 6th in the world in absolute covid death numbers. We have 38 milion people!! We are building a makeshift hospital on a stadium but what we really miss are healthcare professionals. We had 2nd most underfunded healthcare in Europe, by some measures probably first. All our governments forgot about it since they probably got private healthcare and forgot that it doesn't cover epidemics and other serious shit. Our current government decided that instead of funding healthcare we need to fund our state run propaganda TV that's worse than Fox News. They are now literally as bad as Alex Jones in their theories but with billions of dollars in funding (yaay).

For years experts have been ringing alarms our nurses will age out of the system and no one will replace them and that the doctors are leaving. This happened as covid hit us and as our government ignored the pandemic. We also have massive protests for at least 3 different reasons. Also the govt closed cementaries for All Saints Day to prevent spread but it did it 4 days before (they waited to the last minute because they hoped nothing will happen) so people who earn their money in that day already paid for plots of land and flowers and other shit so now they are fucked. Literally everyone is fucked. There was "Escape from NY", There was "Escape From LA" now it's "Escape from Poland". Seriously my country is fucked and there is no hope for a better government since the opposition has no support and are worse at winning than democrats plus they have no sensible ideas (even less than dems).

If I didn't have business ties in Poland probably plan to relocate after covid ends.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
You think it's bad on your side? Poland is 6th in the world in absolute covid death numbers. We have 38 milion people!! We are building a makeshift hospital on a stadium but what we really miss are healthcare professionals. We had 2nd most underfunded healthcare in Europe, by some measures probably first. All our governments forgot about it since they probably got private healthcare and forgot that it doesn't cover epidemics and other serious shit. Our current government decided that instead of funding healthcare we need to fund our state run propaganda TV that's worse than Fox News. They are now literally as bad as Alex Jones in their theories but with billions of dollars in funding (yaay).

For years experts have been ringing alarms our nurses will age out of the system and no one will replace them and that the doctors are leaving. This happened as covid hit us and as our government ignored the pandemic. We also have massive protests for at least 3 different reasons. Also the govt closed cementaries for All Saints Day to prevent spread but it did it 4 days before (they waited to the last minute because they hoped nothing will happen) so people who earn their money in that day already paid for plots of land and flowers and other shit so now they are fucked. Literally everyone is fucked. There was "Escape from NY", There was "Escape From LA" now it's "Escape from Poland". Seriously my country is fucked and there is no hope for a better government since the opposition has no support and are worse at winning than democrats plus they have no sensible ideas (even less than dems).

If I didn't have business ties in Poland probably plan to relocate after covid ends.

Dayum dude, that really sucks. Stay safe.