Quantcast

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Worked part of last weekend, when my facility received our first Covid-19 patient. Never have I seen so many management assholes around on a weekend/night.

In speaking with them (as i was dealing directly with our patient) I warned them they really needed to get something good out in the media and hospital wide e-mail. People are going to freak out, you'll have many call-outs, and the phones are going to go nuts. You all need to get some plans in place, especially as it is only likely to get worse. The response was basically "nah man, we'll be fine."

Fast forward - the last few days off have proved me and my other unit peeps correct. Tons of staff calling out, and endless texts asking for any staff to come in extra.
Don't worry, man - we'll be fine.

First coworker quarantined. Literally a dude I work day in and day out with
Don't worry, man - we'll be fine.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
My mom works for one of the oldest and most successful biotech VC firms in the world. My dad is an engineer at Boeing an spent 30 years in the Phantom Works division (Boeing's Skunk Works). They are smart and know how this math works and are deflecting this as paranoia. My dad is a Trumper and my mom hears it incessantly. When I told her we were effectively boarding up MIL and when she does come back, she will be driving back staying at off-line hotels, etc. she said I was crazy. They just flew up to ID to see my 85 & 88 y/o grandparents who are regularly sick and weakly acknowledged that they probably shouldn't have.

No matter if you know how the math works. No matter if you know the potential end results. If you don't want to believe it, you probably won't.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Most fucked up, but ironically right comment I've heard about COVID19 - Social Security might be saved because the risk population is on or about to go onto Social Security. WTF people?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Most fucked up, but ironically right comment I've heard about COVID19 - Social Security might be saved because the risk population is on or about to go onto Social Security. WTF people?
i made a similar comment about a boomer purge for the impending election.

i'll take my king asshole crown any time.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
At the end of the day, whether you think its paranoia or not or if thats what someone believes this is, you just have to be smart about it. Screen your visitors and guests, be clean and don't be a fucktard. If you're in a high risk area or something, don't insert yourself into the risk. At least up here we have the right to refuse unsafe work - I'm sure there is a way that this all falls under that clause, should you feel you're at risk, at work.

Corona virus or not, if you're sick or have symptoms of being sick, you shouldn't be going to work, visiting people with vulnerabilities or travelling....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

I have had these same thoughts. Welcome to the club.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
At the end of the day, whether you think its paranoia or not or if thats what someone believes this is, you just have to be smart about it. Screen your visitors and guests, be clean and don't be a fucktard. If you're in a high risk area or something, don't insert yourself into the risk. At least up here we have the right to refuse unsafe work - I'm sure there is a way that this all falls under that clause, should you feel you're at risk, at work.

Corona virus or not, if you're sick or have symptoms of being sick, you shouldn't be going to work, visiting people with vulnerabilities or travelling....

True...but what if you travel one way and then get sick? Where are you going to self-quarantine?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I have had these same thoughts. Welcome to the club.
Guess I'll need my membership too. I've posited that Donnie & Co wouldn't actually coordinate a national response until it starts taking seed in the Republican strongholds. Right now the worst outbreaks are mostly isolated in the Democratic states hes been trying to punish for years anyway.

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Your link is bad and you should feel bad.

Edit: works now? Reuters has coronavirus!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
"But the effectiveness of such interventions will depend on public compliance, and the public will have to trust what it is being told.
That is why, in my view, the most important lesson from 1918 is to tell the truth. Though that idea is incorporated into every preparedness plan I know of, its actual implementation will depend on the character and leadership of the people in charge when a crisis erupts.......
I was stunned. This official had not actually told a lie, but he had deliberately minimized the danger; whether or not this particular patient had the disease, a pandemic was coming. The official’s unwillingness to answer questions from the press or even acknowledge the pandemic’s inevitability meant that citizens would look elsewhere for answers, and probably find a lot of bad ones. Instead of taking the lead in providing credible information he instantly fell behind the pace of events. He would find it almost impossible to get ahead of them again. He had, in short, shirked his duty to the public, risking countless lives.

And that was only a game."

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Fuck, I feel a little sick today, throat feels weird, dry cough every now and then, stomach not totally cool. Im at work but am basically self quarantined here. Guess margaritas yesterday didnt help. Im going to yell at the lunch truck to bring me a burrito soon. I wont let him touch anything of mine. "Just leave it on the door step to my double wide"

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
True...but what if you travel one way and then get sick? Where are you going to self-quarantine?
Stay wherever you are and get medical advice...Hopefully you have travel insurance with medical coverage or something.

If work travel, I guess make sure that you're employer is aware of the risks and if you get stuck, have them cover your extended vacation.

Or spend two weeks hiking the Appalachian trail in solitude.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Fuck, I feel a little sick today, throat feels weird, dry cough every now and then, stomach not totally cool. Im at work but am basically self quarantined here. Guess margaritas yesterday didnt help. Im going to yell at the lunch truck to bring me a burrito soon. I wont let him touch anything of mine. "Just leave it on the door step to my double wide"
"Not sure if hungover or just bout of COVID-19."
:D