Quantcast

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
heard a story on npr yesterday that at certain grocery stores in dc and la (maybe safeway and giant?) they occasionally will announce anyone who's in the store who wants a shot can get one if they have excess so as not to waste them.
Talking with a friend last night who works in a local hospital, and her report is similar. This particular hospital will have vaccinations drawn and ready to go, and they get through all the vaccinations for the day and have additional that will be wasted if not used. They put out a call to the volunteers in this hospital at that moment, and were SHUT DOWN BY ADMIN from doing this, as the volunteers were not eligible according to state guidelines or whatever. What the hell? Fucking GIVE THEM THE SHOT... why waste it? This is not a fucking drill, people. Stick them!

Talked to my brother yesterday. It seems that the likelihood of his MIL dying in the hospital from COVID in the next day or so is pretty damn high.
Sorry to hear. I think?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
NYT podcast today basically laid out the same scenario, a few places are burning through their leftover vaccines on whoever wants one, others are either sitting on it, or if the case is already open they're throwing it away for fear of repercussions for straying from the guidelines. What in the fuck?

How is it that, I, a guy who barely knows how a fucking band-aid works could have foreseen this issue, but the people in charge of this roll out, after anticipating it for 9 months, can't figure it out?

On the up side, 300k new cases a day, wasn't the number something like 80% to hit herd immunity? Should be there shortly.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

Oh ok, West Bank and Gaza, K.
Despite the delay, the (Palestinian) authority has not officially asked for help from Israel. Coordination between the two sides halted last year after the Palestinian president cut off security ties for several months.
Thanks. Palestinians in occupied territories are not Israeli Arabs, correct?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada

Looks like this lockdown - starting Jan14 is going to be tighter than the last one regarding who and what is considered essential.

-Edit-

Here are the new restrictions in place effective 12:01 a.m. Thursday.

• Ontario will be placed under a stay-at-home order, which will require everyone to remain at home with exceptions for essential purposes, like going to the grocery store or pharmacy, accessing health care services, for exercise or for essential work.
  • No return to in-class learning until Feb. 11 at the earliest for the following public health units: Windsor-Essex, Peel Region, Toronto, York Region and Hamilton.
  • All businesses must ensure any employee who can work from home do so.
  • Outdoor gatherings are restricted to five people, consistent with the first-wave lockdown rules.
  • Masks remain mandatory indoors at open businesses or organizations. Masks are also now being recommended outdoors where physical distancing of more than two metres is not possible.
  • There will be reduced hours for non-grocery stores and pharmacies. All non-essential retail will be forced to close by 8 p.m. and open no earlier than 7 a.m. These limits don't apply to stores that primarily sell food, gas stations, pharmacies, convenience stores or restaurants providing take-out or delivery.
  • Non-essential construction is further restricted, including below-grade construction, exempting survey.
  • No restrictions on the purchase of non-essential items

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Looks like this lockdown - starting Jan14 is going to be tighter than the last one regarding who and what is considered essential.

-Edit-

• Ontario will be placed under a stay-at-home order, which will require everyone to remain at home with exceptions for essential purposes, like going to the grocery store or pharmacy, accessing health care services, for exercise or for essential work.
  • No return to in-class learning until Feb. 11 at the earliest for the following public health units: Windsor-Essex, Peel Region, Toronto, York Region and Hamilton.
  • Outdoor gatherings are restricted to five people, consistent with the first-wave lockdown rules.
  • Masks remain mandatory indoors at open businesses or organizations. Masks are also now being recommended outdoors where physical distancing of more than two metres is not possible.
  • There will be reduced hours for non-grocery stores and pharmacies. All non-essential retail will be forced to close by 8 p.m. and open no earlier than 7 a.m. These limits don't apply to stores that primarily sell food, gas stations, pharmacies, convenience stores or restaurants providing take-out or delivery.
  • Non-essential construction is further restricted, including below-grade construction, exempting survey.
How are they going to enforce some of this? It seems far fetched.

And I get that its a pandemic, but I still don't understand how restricting business hours and whatnot is actually going to help or improve things?

The whole goal is to spread people out and reduce gatherings and whatnot. But here they are cranking down on business hours and stuff - so now you'll have people GATHERING around being lined up outside, trying to get shit down before closing. Okay......

Its like the other day I went grocery shopping. There store (a big Zhers) has a limited capacity, okay sure fine. No line to get in. But there is a freakin' lineup around the entire inside of the store just to check out. Now you've got a whole bunch of people standing in the same area, people walking past closely to get to other aisles etc etc.

And what businesses are still open that aren't essential? None.

And it must suck to be living in some buttfuck nowhere polar bear town in northern Ontario, where the bears out number the people.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

-Edit-

I stopped breathing until I read "for exercise".

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
How are they going to enforce some of this? It seems far fetched.

And I get that its a pandemic, but I still don't understand how restricting business hours and whatnot is actually going to help or improve things?

The whole goal is to spread people out and reduce gatherings and whatnot. But here they are cranking down on business hours and stuff - so now you'll have people GATHERING around being lined up outside, trying to get shit down before closing. Okay......

Its like the other day I went grocery shopping. There store (a big Zhers) has a limited capacity, okay sure fine. No line to get in. But there is a freakin' lineup around the entire inside of the store just to check out. Now you've got a whole bunch of people standing in the same area, people walking past closely to get to other aisles etc etc.

And what businesses are still open that aren't essential? None.

And it must suck to be living in some buttfuck nowhere polar bear town in northern Ontario, where the bears out number the people.
We must shop at the same Zehrs. Same thing, line up to get in, and huge line literally stretching half way around the store to check-out....

Yes, you would think they would expand hours because of the limitations of store entry and curbside pickup.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
We must shop at the same Zehrs. Same thing, line up to get in, and huge line literally stretching half way around the store to check-out....

Yes, you would think they would expand hours because of the limitations of store entry and curbside pickup.
Sounds like grocery stores can remain open past 8:

1610486635898.png

(though that might require paying OT?)

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Sounds like grocery stores can remain open past 8:

View attachment 154966

(though that might require paying OT?)
Sorry, was not clear enough on that second point, was referring to businesses outside of grocery/pharmacy.

Regarding grocery OT - if they can update fancy store displays and also charge 6 bucks for a softball sized cauliflower, I think there may be a few shekels in the system....

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Sorry, was not clear enough on that second point, was referring to businesses outside of grocery/pharmacy.

Regarding grocery OT - if they can update fancy store displays and also charge 6 bucks for a softball sized cauliflower, I think there may be a few shekels in the system....
:rofl: Six dollar softball sized cauliflower.

Heck yeah they can afford OT.

Isn't Loblaw HIGHLY profitable and yet they took this money... https://globalnews.ca/news/5145773/catherine-mckenna-loblaw-new-fridges/

But I'm guessing they can skirt around a lot of OT stuff with all their part time workers.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I'm sure glad I have received both rounds of the Pfizer Vaccine. I had to transport 2 patients from nursing homes that have had confirmed Covid outbreaks to dialysis today. My rig reeks of Clorox and my n95 is getting the Clorox and peroxide treatment post shift. Sure as fuck hope Biden actually does something regarding ppe production vs all talk and no clue trumpo.