Quantcast

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
No need to do anything, just reduce security and wait long enough for some right-winged rioters to burn it down. ;)

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
If we haven't already, liable to cross 400k deaths in the US today. Which is weird, since it went away the day after the election.

Early last year, I remember thinking how ludicrous it sounded when some health professionals claimed that 500K+ Americans could die during this pandemic. Now that, it appears, is a reality.

Clearly I grossly overestimated our capability and willingness, as a whole, to tackle such an episode. What an illuminating year this has been.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Early last year, I remember thinking how ludicrous it sounded when some health professionals claimed that 500K+ Americans could die during this pandemic. Now that, it appears, is a reality.

Clearly I grossly overestimated our capability and willingness, as a whole, to tackle such an episode. What an illuminating year this has been.
It shouldn't be too shocking, considering alcohol and cigarette related deaths are more than that.....every year.

Don't tread on us.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Honestly this is the time for out of the box thinking. One of the reasons why Californian Condors are almost exctinct is that they used to rely on washed up marine mammals. We could improve air quality and help an endangered species.
The amount of plastic and other pollutants inside the average Murican might not do the birds too much good though.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Came across this comparison vs. a car accident on Reddit. Good mix drop for those who might want to use it to bitchslap some family or friends.

I make my money through risk analysis. I run the numbers daily for Covid so I can perform risk analysis for my family. And yes, the simple act of driving your car is one of the most dangerous things you can do. We know this because we have over 100 years of data. Pretty much every single variable is known. And by analyzing those variables, one can reduce risk. For example, the vehicles my family owns have extremely high safety ratings. And since having children, you will absolutely not see me out driving on nights like New Years. Not just for my children's physical health, but to increase the chances of them having both parents into adulthood.

If those variables changed and 35% of the population thought that drunk driving was no big deal and 2-3% of drivers were drunk at any one time, I'd drive less. If certain law enforcement organizations chose not to enforce drunk driving laws, I'd drive less. If our governor wouldn't create drunk driving laws and wouldn't let cities enforce any, I'd drive less. If our director of our public health agency set standards for drunk driving and when they were exceeded just ignored those standards, I would drive less.

If, when we got in a minor accident, the doctors would tell me that as a result, 100% of kids had biomarkers for vascular damage and they had no idea what that meant for their future health, I'd drive less. If, after a minor fender bender my child had some unknown chance of contracting MIS-C and we didn't know the medium to long term effects of that, I'd drive less. If we got in an accident and the emergency response and subsequent care was less than optimal because something else was overwhelming the healthcare system, I'd drive less. If there were countless unknown short and long term variables because driving was so novel, I'd drive less.

I could go on and on and that's why my family is currently "driving" less.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
This shit has been going on for a year. I remember when quarter million death estimates seemed like an unimaginable tragedy. 400,000+ later and it is treated on par with the cost of milk going up $0.10.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
This shit has been going on for a year. I remember when quarter million death estimates seemed like an unimaginable tragedy. 400,000+ later and it is treated on par with the cost of milk going up $0.10.
It hits overproportional old folks and minorities, so whatever.... ;)

Sorgie

Monkey
May 20, 2005
Rochester
My wife never ended up getting sick after being coughed on, so apparently masks work. Huh, who knew? She got her second dose on Wednesday morning and only had muscle aches that started about 12 hours after. Of all the people that got their second dose on Wednesday the symptoms ranged from nothing to 24 hours of flu like symptoms. Nothing that kept anyone from going in the next day. The interesting thing (I think) is that as far as she can tell from talking with people the only ones who had symptoms were the ones that got the Moderna shot. Nobody who got the Pfizer had any symptoms. Is that what the Monkey consensus is as well @eric strt6, @Toshi, @scrublover? I wouldn't hesitate to get either one, but an interesting observation.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
News piece last night seemed to suggest the current SA mutation might have changed sufficiently to make it more likely that people can become re-infected more easily...yay :/

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Pretty good article. I normally don't read the comments, but I couldn't help it. Glad I did, actually, of I'd have never seen this little nugget...
The Turd Reich has finally ended.
:rofl:

Nobody who got the Pfizer had any symptoms. Is that what the Monkey consensus is as well @eric strt6, @Toshi, @scrublover? I wouldn't hesitate to get either one, but an interesting observation.
Teh Financée has now had both of her Pfizer shots (got the booster yesterday) and so far has had no symptoms beyond a soreness in her arm. Good friend who just turned 70 a month ago has had two of the Moderna shots, and I think he experienced some flu-like symptoms. He's also, you know... 70. That said, dude skis 60-80 days a year, does a few thousand miles on the road and mountain bikes every season, and walks about 3 miles a day with his wife and doggo. It's not like he's a feeble old man.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My wife never ended up getting sick after being coughed on, so apparently masks work. Huh, who knew? She got her second dose on Wednesday morning and only had muscle aches that started about 12 hours after. Of all the people that got their second dose on Wednesday the symptoms ranged from nothing to 24 hours of flu like symptoms. Nothing that kept anyone from going in the next day. The interesting thing (I think) is that as far as she can tell from talking with people the only ones who had symptoms were the ones that got the Moderna shot. Nobody who got the Pfizer had any symptoms. Is that what the Monkey consensus is as well @eric strt6, @Toshi, @scrublover? I wouldn't hesitate to get either one, but an interesting observation.
I got Pfizer. Mid 102s fever and frank shaking chills around 18 hours after shot 2, for what that’s worth. Still would 100% take it again were I to go back in time.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Just got some information about possibly participating in a COVID vaccine trial study. This wouldn't be one of the currently EUA vaccines, the trial is blind and would last for 2-1/4 years, there's a 50/50 chance I would be given the vaccine or a placebo but I wouldn't know until the end of 2023. I could choose to be "unblinded" from the study prior to that, but that doesn't seem helpful in any way to the study and disingenuous if I were to sign up for the trial with the thought that I might unblind myself for reasons. I could also choose to receive an EUA vaccine in that time, but there is no known info about possible side effects of mix-n-matching multiple vaccinations, plus it would skew the data of the study. Again, seems a bit disingenuous and maybe dangerous to go into it knowing I would get the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine when it became available to me. I am signed up to get whatever it is I'd get the first week of March, but have that time to think about it essentially... I'm not committed to it yet.

What would y'all do?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Just got some information about possibly participating in a COVID vaccine trial study. This wouldn't be one of the currently EUA vaccines, the trial is blind and would last for 2-1/4 years, there's a 50/50 chance I would be given the vaccine or a placebo but I wouldn't know until the end of 2023. I could choose to be "unblinded" from the study prior to that, but that doesn't seem helpful in any way to the study and disingenuous if I were to sign up for the trial with the thought that I might unblind myself for reasons. I could also choose to receive an EUA vaccine in that time, but there is no known info about possible side effects of mix-n-matching multiple vaccinations, plus it would skew the data of the study. Again, seems a bit disingenuous and maybe dangerous to go into it knowing I would get the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine when it became available to me. I am signed up to get whatever it is I'd get the first week of March, but have that time to think about it essentially... I'm not committed to it yet.

What would y'all do?
I would 100% sign up and if you get offered Pfizer or Moderna then ask to be unblinded (and don't thus double dose). Trial participants are volunteers, and you should look out for your best interests. Even if you're in the placebo group you still will provide them data on baseline side effect incidence and infection rate until/if you drop out.

/me dropped out of the Moderna trial to get Pfizer, having been unblinded and confirmed to be in the placebo arm

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I would 100% sign up and if you get offered Pfizer or Moderna then ask to be unblinded (and don't thus double dose). Trial participants are volunteers, and you should look out for your best interests. Even if you're in the placebo group you still will provide them data on baseline side effect incidence and infection rate until/if you drop out.

/me dropped out of the Moderna trial to get Pfizer, having been unblinded and confirmed to be in the placebo arm
If I get unblinded and turn out to be in the vaccine group, does that mean I am basically out of the study? i.e. I still provided them valuable info up until I chose to be unblinded, but then just wouldn't continue providing more data?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If I get unblinded and turn out to be in the vaccine group, does that mean I am basically out of the study? i.e. I still provided them valuable info up until I chose to be unblinded, but then just wouldn't continue providing more data?
No issues with continuing on in the study once unblinded at that point. Several of my co-workers are in that boat, unblinded from Moderna when they were offered Pfizer shots, still in that Moderna study. All it means for them is that they'll have a few more in-person follow-up visits until 24 months +/- another tickling of the brain at those instances and blood draws.