At a temperature of 68 degrees, SARS lasted:

—Less than 8 hours on latex
—2 to 8 hours on aluminum
—2 days on steel
—4 days on wood
—4 days on glass
—5 days on metal
—5 days on ceramics
—5 days on plastics (but one strain survived up to 9 days on plastic)

3% bleach spray will kill it
So, the takeaway here is to wear latex? amiright?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i made a similar comment about a boomer purge for the impending election.

i'll take my king asshole crown any time.
are you going to make the vaunted youth vote.....saviours of the world....bernies life blood...show up at gun point and vote in november then?

you know the choice between fuckstick trump and joey shits his pants....

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Fully stocked with canned goods. rice was a tad light but the night crew was restocking. Where I live you have all the scientists that work at Lawrence Livermore and Sandia National Laboratories. Probably more highly educated and rational that most areas. No one is freaking out
Interesting, the market I was at is across the street from Amgen, and down the street from Baxter/Baxtalta/Shire/Whateverthey'recalledthisweek, our two major employers in the area, so not entirely science-tarded around here.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
"only 11,000 people tested for virus in the US. since this started, versus as many as 10k per day in other countries"

Our govt. has tripped over their orange dicks every step of the way since Jan. What an absolute fail.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
"only 11,000 people tested for virus in the US. since this started, versus as many as 10k per day in other countries"

Our govt. has tripped over their orange dicks every step of the way since Jan. What an absolute fail.
the trump administration is just fumbling this, they are causing a failure on a massive scale that will result in the deaths of thousands of americans or more.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the trump administration is just fumbling this, they are causing a failure on a massive scale that will result in the deaths of thousands of americans or more.
Counterpoint: With no available treatment other than supportive care and already community spread by the end of January or so, widespread testing would give us higher quality prevalence data but wouldn't fundamentally change the course of the disease... unless we went Italy style full lockdown a month ago. And that never would have flown.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Counterpoint: With no available treatment other than supportive care and already community spread by the end of January or so, widespread testing would give us higher quality prevalence data but wouldn't fundamentally change the course of the disease... unless we went Italy style full lockdown a month ago. And that never would have flown.
i don't fundamentally disagree, but that's really the point. we should have been acting on this weeks ago. controlling/limiting the spread as much as possible is really the only measure we have.

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I guess Europe is out as a non-rev destination for spring break.

Dog whistle content.

"no body knew airlines flew to europe, its extraordinary, really" - Donald, probably

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
i don't fundamentally disagree, but that's really the point. we should have been acting on this weeks ago. controlling/limiting the spread as much as possible is really the only measure we have.
The idea is to make the infections linear instead of exponential. That way the hospitals don't get mobbed.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
There's also the problem of FDA rules and regulations about tests that have existed long before Trump. They haven't been able to get a good reliable test that can't give a false positive figured out, so all testing has to be done at the CDC, bottlenecking the whole thing. China doesn't have the same rules and I guarantee they're getting tons of false positives, and sticking people without the virus in quarantine with those who do have it.

China's system is working, but good luck with that in a Western country when people find out their dad died because he was accidentally quarantined due to a false positive. Say what you will about dictatorships, nothing is all bad.

No doubt Trump is bungling this thing, but had this happened under Obama, Bush, Clinton etc, I doubt the public health outcome would be significantly different, though the panic and resulting financial impact would likely be far less severe.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004

"no body knew airlines flew to europe, its extraordinary, really" - Donald, probably
He probably thought this will only hurt airbus.
Surprised travel not limited to newly delivered 737 Max flights.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

"I don't know why people would fly to that 3rd-world continent. Everything anyone could want is right here."
-Some Very Stable Genius probably

"Snowflakes", please...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Right now the US is likely about a week or so behind what Italy is going through, limiting travel within the US should have been highly recommended during that speech last night, as well as limiting large gatherings etc.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
No doubt Trump is bungling this thing, but had this happened under Obama, Bush, Clinton etc, I doubt the public health outcome would be significantly different, though the panic and resulting financial impact would likely be far less severe.
we arguably would have had a fully, properly staffed CDC and Health agencies, and I don't believe that wouldn't have made a huge difference for the better.