Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I was offered the opportunity to get a vaccination, a friends wife works for a hospital and would be eligible to get vaccinated if I volunteered for a bit at the vax site. I was pretty disgusted that I could be offered the opportunity out of sequence, even in exchange for volunteering. There are plenty of people who need it before I do, and I bet a whole lot of them would be willing to volunteer for the opportunity. I turned down the offer.

New cases are dropping significantly and 35,000,000 vaccines have been administered to our most vulnerable health care executives and administrators.

Meanwhile >5,000 more dead yesterday and still averaging >3,000 per day.

I'm of two minds on this.

One, if you are actively volunteering on a continuing basis and exposed to the general public whilst doing so, then I have no issue.

If you have volunteered, but are no longer actively doing so, and are no longer i that setting, then yes, I have an issue.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm of two minds on this.

One, if you are actively volunteering on a continuing basis and exposed to the general public whilst doing so, then I have no issue.

If you have volunteered, but are no longer actively doing so, and are no longer i that setting, then yes, I have an issue.
Single weekend commitment.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

or

Ahhh... I checked - looks like the day before that *8* deaths were reported... so maybe the daily data is not terribly useful.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Ahhh... I checked - looks like the day before that *8* deaths were reported... so maybe the daily data is not terribly useful.

5000+ yesterday 3700+ the day before.

Or 5104 in the last 24 hours

Or 9059 deaths yesterday and 8 the day before.

If there is one thing this pandemic has shown me, people don't know how to understand various presentations of data. You could be an executive at my company. Have people do really difficult scientific analysis that gets distilled into a red light or green light for consumption by leadership.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
If there is one thing this pandemic has shown me, people don't know how to understand various presentations of data. You could be an executive at my company. Have people do really difficult scientific analysis that gets distilled into a red light or green light for consumption by leadership.
Its simply impossible to dumb things down enough.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Got some awesome news last night from my uncle in GA who informed me that home care givers are now eligible for the vaccine. I of course blew it off initially because I don’t live in GA. But after talking to my parents, who have been relying on me for everything during the Pandemic, I did a little research. Turns out NC has changed their policy on home care givers, who were basically forgotten about in the initial phase of the vaccine roll out. I am now eligible for group 1. Currently there are no available appointments online. But I will be watching like a hawk for registration to reopen

Originally thought that I would have to wait to be vaccinated until the last group or closer to the summer. Now there is a solid chance of getting the shots by the end of next month. This greatly improves the probability of a thru hike coming to fruition. Would also be nice to go places again, like stores and other places inhabited by humans.

So much stoke right nao !!

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I went to quartzite arizona over the weekend. It was so full of stupid. Had to tell a few people to back off. I cant be punching seniors. Lots of those old people deserve to get covid and die from it.

At least I got my big green rock for my yard.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I went to quartzite arizona over the weekend. It was so full of stupid. Had to tell a few people to back off. I cant be punching seniors. Lots of those old people deserve to get covid and die from it.

At least I got my big green rock for my yard.

I have good news for you. Despite new cases being down 60% from peak, deaths are only down 10%. Lots of people still trying real hard to die.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Mmmh, not sure if good or bad. Good that the vaccination protects you from severe symptoms, bad that you still can get and spread it. Maybe too short after the 2nd shot?

Mmmh, not sure if good or bad. Good that the vaccination protects you from severe symptoms, bad that you still can get and spread it. Maybe too short after the 2nd shot?
There are a million variables here. It'll get sorted over time, even though we may well all be insane by then.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Walgreens went live today with registration for their first round of doses to be administered starting Friday. Their website was glitchy and intermittent but I managed to secure a 1st and 2nd dose. Getting stuck on Friday.

So relieved that I will not have to wait until sometime this summer to get vaccinated with the last group. Also stoked to resume somewhat normal activities like going places, hiking, and riding which I have not done since November. I don't like being a nocturnal couch spud.

The future looks a wee bit brighter today.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Snow birds are giving it their all
My dad spends a bit of time down in AZ in the winters, I think Apache Junction for the first part and Quartzite for the second. He did not stay down there very long this year, he's already back in fact. He didn't go to Quartzite this year, said basically AZ and people in AZ weren't doing anything well with regards to Covid.

In other news, I got a call today that J&J has all the people in my age group they need/want for their 2-dose trial, so my services are not needed and my appt. to get stuck and injected with "something" has been cancelled. Bummer.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
My dad spends a bit of time down in AZ in the winters, I think Apache Junction for the first part and Quartzite for the second. He did not stay down there very long this year, he's already back in fact. He didn't go to Quartzite this year, said basically AZ and people in AZ weren't doing anything well with regards to Covid.

In other news, I got a call today that J&J has all the people in my age group they need/want for their 2-dose trial, so my services are not needed and my appt. to get stuck and injected with "something" has been cancelled. Bummer.
some of the things I saw and experienced would have been rude before covid. I went last year and wasn’t irritated, bought a 60lb chunk of sodalite. This year rudeness can spread death. Your dad was smart to leave and not do quartzsite. I was thinking if everyone was your age I bet it’s fun. Side by sides are road legal and there is bars. It seems post apocalyptic. Very very dusty though.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
These virus mutations feel exactly like the type of lazy ideas bored screenwriters come up with for the third sequel or another season of the same shit that you've seen multiple times before. "Oh sure it's another Death Star, but this one is bigger and more death stary than the last one, so we need to keep the galaxy in lockdown".

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
said basically AZ and people in AZ weren't doing anything well with regards to Covid.
Odd, traveling through Az, Nm, and CO over the holidays I was downright impressed with how many people were wearing real masks and giving people some space. I virtually never see anybody with a mask on at the gas station, but nearly everybody at all the stations we stopped at was masked up, until we got back to CA, and then it was a free-for-all again, only people wearing masks are dirty hippies with some bullshit homemade contraption that doesn't even attempt to seal their breathing orifices. Outside of Ca I saw far more n95 and blue surgical masks, which probably aren't the best, but they've got to be better than the shit people around here are making out of their used underwear.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Spent a goodly portion of yesterday in the home district of Colorado's nuttiest squirrel turd. Masks were definitely optional in Grand Junction, and when Matt and I walked into the local BBQ hole there was a group of 12-15 mask less men yucking it up in one corner, who went suddenly silent and definitely gave off a "spaghetti western saloon, trouble makers" vibe when we dared walk in with mask on looking for dinner. Western Slope, I love you, but we need to talk about your dumb.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Spent a goodly portion of yesterday in the home district of Colorado's nuttiest squirrel turd. Masks were definitely optional in Grand Junction, and when Matt and I walked into the local BBQ hole there was a group of 12-15 mask less men yucking it up in one corner, who went suddenly silent and definitely gave off a "spaghetti western saloon, trouble makers" vibe when we dared walk in with mask on looking for dinner. Western Slope, I love you, but we need to talk about your dumb.
when this is over with...which will probably be never.....

but if....

when and if masks no longer need to be worn....how safe will you feel with people who work at restaurants breathing all over your food when they prepare it....

NOPE.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
when this is over with...which will probably be never.....

but if....

when and if masks no longer need to be worn....how safe will you feel with people who work at restaurants breathing all over your food when they prepare it....

NOPE.
I worked in a restaurant in my youth long enough to know that I just hope all food reaches proper serving temperatures.