Quantcast

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Good luck! This was Wife's plan too, but she was just checking this morning and was surprised to find a place that opened it early. She will still try to book something earlier and does not require a 90 minute round trip drive.
So wife was up at midnight with two computers, four monitors, two cell phones, and her tablet so she could hunt for shots as soon as our age group officially opened. She got our first shot moved up to this coming Tuesday to a place 20 minutes away, and the second one on April 13. Six months ago I would have thought there was no chance in hell I'd be fully vaccinated by mid-April, so I am very happy about that. We're getting the Pfizerchipping.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
At this point no ETA in my area of Flatario in Canuckistan.
From the chatter, I'm guessing I won't be eligible for 5G antenna installation for at least a couple of months.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Booked an appointment in Grand Junktown at a mass vaccination site on Tuesday. Eligibility based on having a single high-risk condition of Stage 1 Hypertension. Plan is drive over Wednesday evening, camp in the van, get vaxxed first thing in the a.m., and knock out a lap on The Ribbon before heading back.

Pretty relieved at this point.

Follow up visit (unless they jab me with the J&J soup) will be right around my annual birthday pilgrimage to Moab, so I'll try and get it scheduled for the tail end of that trip and get it done on the way home.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Never actually looped Ribbon, always shuttled. So you start with the brutal road climb or end with it starting at the top?
The common "wisdom" if you're not shuttling is to climb the Ribbon and then return. 'Cause that road BLOWS.

This "wisdom" is now very old, though, so it might actually be a bad idea, given the growth in the sport, to climb that.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Never actually looped Ribbon, always shuttled. So you start with the brutal road climb or end with it starting at the top?
I also have never looped the ribbon, so we'll see how this goes. I will always vote for the shitty road climb part at the start... you know, as a warm up. Right @Nick ?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Thinking outside the box here... maybe car-jack one of the locals driving a bro-dozer? Toss the bike in the bed, drive up real quick to the TH, leave the bro-dozer with the keys in it so there's no harm/no foul...

WARNING: Grand Junkyard bro-dozer owners may have an inordinately high chance of concealed-carrying... so not without risk.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Thinking outside the box here... maybe car-jack one of the locals driving a bro-dozer? Toss the bike in the bed, drive up real quick to the TH, leave the bro-dozer with the keys in it so there's no harm/no foul...

WARNING: Grand Junkyard bro-dozer owners may have an inordinately high chance of concealed-carrying... so not without risk.
It's been done and lived to tell the story. It's the way to do it in Jackson

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Jeezus, man... that road ride... it's terrible. Just awful. 1/10. Do not recommend. :panic:
I was wondering just how bad that climb was...
A little over 6 miles, less than a Chimney worth of vert, and <6% grade? Well hell... that looks way less shitty than the road ride from Keystone up to A-Basin... I mean, at least once you're done with this road ride you don't have the then climb A-Basin.

And that segment there is all the way from the bottom of Lunch Loops... one could park midway and just loop The Ribbon and not ride the lower stuff.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
A little over 6 miles, less than a Chimney worth of vert, and <6% grade? Well hell... that looks way less shitty than the road ride from Keystone up to A-Basin... I mean, at least once you're done with this road ride you don't have the then climb A-Basin.
That's kinda like saying horse shit tastes better than cow shit, though, don't ya think?

And that segment there is all the way from the bottom of Lunch Loops... one could park midway and just loop The Ribbon and not ride the lower stuff.
Yeah - that would def be the preferred method if you're gonna loop it and ride the road. I think when we looped it, we rode up Tab to Little Park and then road to the top of Ribbon. It perhaps isn't as bad as I remember... but I doubt it. :homer:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
That's kinda like saying horse shit tastes better than cow shit, though, don't ya think?

Yeah - that would def be the preferred method if you're gonna loop it and ride the road. I think when we looped it, we rode up Tab to Little Park and then road to the top of Ribbon. It perhaps isn't as bad as I remember... but I doubt it. :homer:
Okay fine, Keystone to A-Basin is fewer miles and fewer feet with similar average grade. And the segment I linked is Tab to Little Park. I still maintain it's better in that you don't also climb the ski area.

Back to the regularly scheduled Covid content... sorry (but kinda not sorry) for the thread hijack.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
doesn't Grassroots Cycles still run nice-guy shuttles for lazy fucking shuttle whores?
I remember they'd haul you to LL or Ribbon for a $5 spot and a signed waiver.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

don't understand...is the road really soft/shitty? that's maybe a touch bigger than an average climb for most mtn rides here? and we'd typically do two or maybe three such loops in a ride? like so:
1616193640383.png

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Aw, poor little puppy...
this one is bad John. Mostly when it's 110F and you run out of water before reaching the top. And you have to watch out not to get brodozed of the road. I had a few friends that suffered bad dehydration trying to loop this. They choosed unwisely.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Wife got her second Pfizer this afternoon. Is already down for the count.
Much difficulty in getting second shot appointment. The number they gave me to make the appointment that is not working. To make matters worse while I was in the phone loop they played Peter Murphy's Indigo Eyes. I always hated that song.