Quantcast

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Serious(ly long) question: In that link that JBP posted it mentioned that in the current flu season we (the USA) are at 21M medical visits and 560k hospitalizations. Per the CDC there have been 34M Flu illnesses, 360k hospitalizations and 20k deaths. Also per the CDC, confirmed & presumptive COVID-19 cases is currently at 938 and deaths are at 29.

If we bump those COVID-19 numbers by 2 orders of magnitude for increased contagion, under-reporting, etc., we are at 93.8k cases and 2.9k deaths from COVID-19 thus far. That is still a factor of 4 lower for cases (compared against hospitalizations) and 6 lower for death than the flu.

What are the factors that I am missing that make the COVID-19 so much worse?

The only factor that I can see that is not accounted for is length of season - the flu season probably did start earlier, but I cannot see length of season making up the difference.

I am honest-to-dog not trolling.

Fwiw, My job requires me to be out in public interacting with people daily. I am extermely careful not to shake hands or touch high risk surfaces, I wash my hands constantly and fold my hands under my arms to keep from touching my face (no shit!), but it feels more like I am just hedging my bets / minimizing risk than really protecting myself...thus the question...
italy's # of cases have quadrupled in a *week*. think about that.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
i'm operating under the assumption that today is my last day working in the office for the foreseeable future.
Same for me. However, it is staggering how long my bosses did not react. I sent a few of my coleagues home by my own responsability on Monday to work from home. Some had symptomes of the flu. Others were scared.
Somehow Homeoffice in Italy is still a big no here. Fucking neanderthals.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
the lady at my tsa pre check meeting thinks it is a ploy to keep people from voting....

i did not see a tinfoil hat....

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
i'm operating under the assumption that today is my last day working in the office for the foreseeable future.
Hoping my company does the same, but email this morning said business as usual, though you can talk to your manager if you live with elderly or immunocompromised people, which I do. Yet I dont feel like I'm in a position to ask, given that I'm new here and really couldnt do much of anything from home. Tis a bit of a conundrum.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
italy's # of cases have quadrupled in a *week*. think about that.
Exponential compounding...
A lily pad is growing in a pond and it doubles in size every day. After 30 days, it covers the entire pond. On what day does it cover half pond?

29 days.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
that's what, three confirmed infected who have had hands-on contact with Trump recently?
I bet he's been tested and just isn't saying so.
We’ll finally know if the ‘inhospitable host’ theory holds water.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I must admit I'm a little confused about what to do. Next week is March break. We booked a 5-day stay at Jay Peak way back in July last year. We'd be staying in a condo and doing outdoor things (i.e. not congregating in large groups). It's a drive for us, Jay Peak is about an hour from the border as far as I can tell.

I think our deposit (50%) is non-refundable, and we'd incur a 25% penalty on the remainder if we do cancel.

I don't want to cancel our trip. Not only for the financial loss, but also because the kids have been looking forward to it for quite a while, and no one is sick, or has been in contact with a sick person, or people who have traveled.

So far, no one is saying don't travel, but they are saying "isolate socially". I think our vacation amounts to social isolation...

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I must admit I'm a little confused about what to do. Next week is March break. We booked a 5-day stay at Jay Peak way back in July last year. We'd be staying in a condo and doing outdoor things (i.e. not congregating in large groups). It's a drive for us, Jay Peak is about an hour from the border as far as I can tell.

I think our deposit (50%) is non-refundable, and we'd incur a 25% penalty on the remainder if we do cancel.

I don't want to cancel our trip. Not only for the financial loss, but also because the kids have been looking forward to it for quite a while, and no one is sick, or has been in contact with a sick person, or people who have traveled.

So far, no one is saying don't travel, but they are saying "isolate socially". I think our vacation amounts to social isolation...
I canceled our spring break trip just now, as well as weekend skiing before then. I'll be out somewhere between $50 and $1700 depending on how lenient the condo host proves to be, but I think it's the right thing to do now.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Crazy times we're living in.

The markets are diving like crazy, which is having an impact on 401K and other investments. Some of my colleagues are talking about selling everything and sitting on the cash until things turn around. What are you guys doing, if anything?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001

The markets are diving like crazy, which is having an impact on 401K and other investments. Some of my colleagues are talking about selling everything and sitting on the cash until things turn around. What are you guys doing, if anything?
Are you retiring this or next year? No?

Then sit on your hands and dollar cost average in at the current sale prices.

(And if the answer was "yes" then the advice is just that first part as it's too late for you, and most of your holdings would recover by the time you had to withdraw them via RMDs or need.)

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

Cursing every evening at lost $$$ , and buying.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL

Are you actually seeking financial advice on RideMonkey? You might end up investing in companies making root beer paint and shimz.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I canceled our spring break trip just now, as well as weekend skiing before then. I'll be out somewhere between $50 and $1700 depending on how lenient the condo host proves to be, but I think it's the right thing to do now.
gah. damn you and your clear logic. rebooked it to March break 2021. no cost, so there's that. but my little guy is going to be devastated. we had to cancel his birthday party because of his throat accident, and now this. :(