Quantcast

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Meanwhile, here in Freedomland, doses are going unused in some areas where vaccines hesitancy is at it’s highest. A significant amount of the population is refusing to get vaccinated. I’m betting there are some Indians who would not turn down a free shot.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
If only these rich countries who had the resources and capabilities to stop the spread did so and prevented some of these variants emergence in the first place...

Apparently, its better at evading antibodies.

Vaccines/previous infection might not be as effective, and judging by the rate of infection, that might be true.
screenshot.2021-04-24.jpg

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
[crossposted from my Twitter, with the context of my parents refusing the J&J vaccine a few weeks ago after I found availability for them]

JFC

My parents are highly educated. 2 PhDs and an MD between them.

My dad has respiratory symptoms for a day or two. He refuses to get tested, is taking Chinese supplements, and my mom WENT TO CHURCH CHOIR PRACTICE today.

Adult children, minds tainted by conspiracy theories.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
[crossposted from my Twitter, with the context of my parents refusing the J&J vaccine a few weeks ago after I found availability for them]

JFC

My parents are highly educated. 2 PhDs and an MD between them.

My dad has respiratory symptoms for a day or two. He refuses to get tested, is taking Chinese supplements, and my mom WENT TO CHURCH CHOIR PRACTICE today.

Adult children, minds tainted by conspiracy theories.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
@Toshi ++vibes.

I think I'd lose my shit, parents or not... :disgust:
I called up to chew them out and tell them they're being very irresponsible, especially with the going out for choir practice (of all the high risk activities to do).

If they want to sit at home and take Chinese herbs and all that shit, fine. But to go out and rationalize it because they're denying the existence of a disease with potential very bad consequences that I've seen on imaging countless times this past year...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I called up to chew them out and tell them they're being very irresponsible, especially with the going out for choir practice (of all the high risk activities to do).

If they want to sit at home and take Chinese herbs and all that shit, fine. But to go out and rationalize it because they're denying the existence of a disease with potential very bad consequences that I've seen on imaging countless times this past year...
Is this new behavior? Any neurological issues going on? Not being an ass, seriously curious.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Is this new behavior? Any neurological issues going on? Not being an ass, seriously curious.
The 70something dad of a friend refuses to be vaccinated, and goes to restaurants "and "dates", and pretty much goes on with life (with a mask).
He widowed about 2 years ago, and when asked about his behavious his answer is just a simple "I have lived long enough, and if I happen to die because of covid, so be it".
Guy refuses to see a psychiatrist, even tho his sister is one.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
No, they've shown proclivities towards conspiracy theories since at least the Vince Foster days. One would think that having a PhD in neurobiology and an MD would let my dad in particular be more resistant to the crap he dredges up on the internet, but apparently the answer is no.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
One would think that having a PhD in neurobiology and an MD would let my dad in particular be more resistant to the crap he dredges up on the internet
"Ben Carson"

My undergrad program was almost all premeds and I've met you med people as adults and see first hand daily how people mistake "training" for "understanding". So no, I wouldn't think that at all. :D

Good luck man. That sucks. The internet has doomed our generation's parents in ways I would have never thought possible.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
"Ben Carson"

My undergrad program was almost all premeds and I've met you med people as adults and see first hand daily how people mistake "training" for "understanding". So no, I wouldn't think that at all. :D

Good luck man. That sucks. The internet has doomed our generation's parents in ways I would have never thought possible.

Medical doctor is just a fancy vocation

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
@Toshi I feel your pain brother. It’s been a constant battle against misinformation that my over 80 year old, FoxNews loving, parents are bombarded with. But I won, damnit. They are both fully vaccinated.

Keep on them, they’ll come around.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
"Ben Carson"

The thing is that he has all these wacky from-the-internet theories about mRNA being a secret retrovirus, etc. etc.

the neurobiology part of him should recognize basic biology principles that are violated by these insane tinfoil hat ideas...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
secret retrovirus,
Actually, I hadn't thought about that, he may have a point...

He knows these things undergo more testing and quality assurance attention than the airplanes he's flown in or the bridges he drives over (sorry aviation peeps). Yeah it was WAY faster than normal but this disease and vaccination literally had the entire planet working on them, with the mRNA techniques already well developed (just unused) years ago. Just talking outloud, I know you know this...

Somehow people just get invested in hiding from reality within the noise. I know if it's subconscious escapism but it's really sad. Especially when it's family. We seriously need some better slander/libel/profiting off BS laws in this joint.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Most engineers I know dont remember how to solve a differential equation 10 years after college.
Most engineers can't solve a differential equation outside of a calculus class because they are taught how to solve math problems not solve problems with math.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I just hope the India variant is contained

You new here?

Right now some all software/hardware/tupperware douchebag companies that outsource tech support are on planes to dheli to buy up cheap real estate from relatives of dead people and the abandoned equipment from their rival companies.

We're also opportunists long before we're humanitarians (or even intelligent).

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
True story: A friend of mine who does fancy dandy high end ski lessons/guiding here had a family last February that paid him to babysit host them at one of the ski areas here. They were on vacation in Hong Kong when the Cov19 was kicking up around new years. So they moved their vacation to Milan. Then that got iffy so they went to Corchevel. When the alps got sketchy and started closing down the flew to their house in Manhattan. And then of course ended up here.

You can't fix stupid. You can only empower it with money.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Worked 3rd shift supporting the factory last night. Lots of noses outside masks and no social distancing. To be fair hard work+masks+safety glasses = a foggy shit show. I just lost the glasses as they are only necessary per rules for my role. With my 5G chip and a properly donned N-95 I wasn't too bothered.

Hate to say it but it was pretty damn nice to be at work in person. Not to mention the hilarity of inappropriate humor that dominates 3rd shift.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Worked 3rd shift supporting the factory last night. Lots of noses outside masks and no social distancing. To be fair hard work+masks+safety glasses = a foggy shit show. I just lost the glasses as they are only necessary per rules for my role. With my 5G chip and a properly donned N-95 I wasn't too bothered.

Hate to say it but it was pretty damn nice to be at work in person. Not to mention the hilarity of inappropriate humor that dominates 3rd shift.

You work with these two?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
An Indian student infected with the Indian variant just arrived in CZ, her roommate is already sick too, and they are now trying to trace who else came in contact with her on planes, trains, buses... Dafuq, they should just shut down the Indian borders until the situation gets sorted.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Most engineers can't solve a differential equation outside of a calculus class because they are taught how to solve math problems not solve problems with math.
Doesn't help that I have never encountered a differential equation in the 14 years I've been out of school (slight exaggeration). If you don't use it, you lose it.

Last edited: