Quantcast

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
"ItS jUsT LiKE tHe fLU!"

Which makes me wonder if we overlook a mode of transmission. If both viruses are mainly spreading airborne by aerosols, then they both should behave the same. But maybe SARS-CoV-2 is more infectious and people are more carful if they have symptoms?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Which makes me wonder if we overlook a mode of transmission. If both viruses are mainly spreading airborne by aerosols, then they both should behave the same. But maybe SARS-CoV-2 is more infectious and people are more carful if they have symptoms?
The flu is generally only contagious days after symptoms set in while Covid is transmissable over a longer period of time including before symptoms occur.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
dingdingding

From the article: "Influenza viruses are transmitted in much the same way as SARS-CoV-2, but they are less effective at jumping from host to host."
What is the difference between transmission and jumping from host to host? The influence virus particles are either less infectious and/or you need a higher ID.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
The flu is generally only contagious days after symptoms set in while Covid is transmissable over a longer period of time including before symptoms occur.
Hence why I mentioned it.
In my opinion another, overlooked mode of transmission are animals and pets. As we know from the minks here in Denmark, the virus could jump between them and humans easily. There are studies showing zoo animals being infected and shedding virus. Most people ignore CDC guidelines regarding pets: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/pets.html

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
only in america do we have to bribe people to get vaccinated

I feel like not being crippled with medial debt from a hospital stay and the lifelong side effects would be incentive enough, but what do I know.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I feel like not being crippled with medial debt from a hospital stay and the lifelong side effects would be incentive enough, but what do I know.
Or being dead.
Got my first bill yesterday from my cancer removal. Out patient, afternoon surgery; $15,292 and change. Thankfully, I have insurance, the "insurance adjustment" cut that figure in half, and my portion was a paltry $50 dollars. It's pretty easy to see how even "minor" medical issues could absolutely crush the unprepared, or less fortunate. The for-profit, so-called health care industry in his country needs to be drug out in the street, shot, then drawn and quartered.

But yeah, it seems to me that it it behooves one to seek out preventative care when available.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
...drug out into the street, sodomized, flayed, rolled in broken glass, then drawn and quartered...

Shooting is far too merciful.
Where do we start? With greedy doctors, greedy medical schools, greedy hospitals, greedy drug makers, greedy equipment manufacturers, greedy lawyers? Or somewhere else?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Where do we start? With greedy doctors, greedy medical schools, greedy hospitals, greedy drug makers, greedy equipment manufacturers, greedy lawyers? Or somewhere else?

The AMA and the artificial restriction on the number of medical licenses.

Get more doctors, and competition will start to solve the problem.
Even if the US went single-payer, if the supply of MDs remains artificially constrained, prices will not go down

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The AMA and the artificial restriction on the number of medical licenses.

Get more doctors, and competition will start to solve the problem.
Even if the US went single-payer, if the supply of MDs remains artificially constrained, prices will not go down
Yeah, disbanding the lobby would be a great start.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
it's the insurance companies.

i work in the manufacturing sector. stuff isn't expensive just for the sake of being expensive.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
2nd jab in teh arm done. just waiting for my software to finish updating so i can begin my glorious 5g life. i can't wait to begin posting on teh monkey using only my thoughts!

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
skyrocketing malpractice insurance costs. a relative of mine left the pediatric practice they helped start because of it.

4-5 billion dollars paid in malpractice vs 3.8 trillion dollars (2019) in revenue/healthcare expenses...
I dont think it jacks up the price *that* much. Malpractice insurance/claims/settlements also exist in other places where healthcare is much cheaper.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

4-5 billion dollars paid in malpractice vs 3.8 trillion dollars (2019) in revenue/healthcare expenses...
I dont think it jacks up the price *that* much. Malpractice insurance/claims/settlements also exist in other places where healthcare is much cheaper.
i'm talking just the premiums. this is based on a first hand account.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Practices have been falling apart due to insurance cost, increased paperwork loads, and institutional competition. I'd like to hear a contemporary physician's take on it.
i'm talking just the premiums. this is based on a first hand account.

This suggest average malpractice insurance premiums are about $7,500 year.
It isnt really that bad.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

This suggest average malpractice insurance premiums are about $7,500 year.
It isnt really that bad.
"suggest" "average"

i'm telling you point blank, that is one of the reasons why an immediate family member of mine left the practice they helped start. not the ONLY reason. but ONE OF.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Premiums vary greatly across specialties. Also claims paid doesn't capture the true cost, as there's much defensive medicine (including overuse of imaging!) that goes on and is tolerated since we live mostly in a fee for service world still.

Why is Japan's healthcare affordable if they have fewer MDs per capita?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Premiums vary greatly across specialties. Also claims paid doesn't capture the true cost, as there's much defensive medicine (including overuse of imaging!) that goes on and is tolerated since we live mostly in a fee for service world still.

Why is Japan's healthcare affordable if they have fewer MDs per capita?
Fewer obese/diabetic patients and plastic surgeons?

One thing that I find interesting is how much cheaper elective surgeries are compared to equally complex medical procedures.

Squeeb's nut removal cost twice as much as getting a set of tits. However I am guessing he would be willing to pay a lot more to not die of cancer than ge would to have a nice rack. YMMV

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Poor Toshi, he does not deserve such hate!
Not all doctors are bad, of course, but many are and don't shy away from ruining people's lives financially. I once paid $300 for 30s of an emergency room doctor who did not even touch me. He then sent the check to my old address and sent debt collectors after my sorry ass, all that while I was on a cadillac $8000+/year (out of my pocket) health insurance plan.

My friends in Europe don't believe me half of my stories.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
FDA is approving Pfizer for yutes 12-15.

I can't wait to inoculate my kid with the lizard juice. This is better than that time he was invited to a birthday party in the basement of Comet Pizza.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
When I lived in Virginia a trip to the doctor for my psoriasis was billed @ $120, discounted to $75 for the insurance, I paid $15. I'd have to go to an independent lab for liver panel blood test which cost $30 IIRC.

Now I go see a doctor at UW. The total bill is close to $600 for a visit, discounted to $350 with insurance. Doctor gets $100, Hospital gets $150 and the same blood tests cost $100. I don't think I have ever spent more than 5 minutes with the doctor or nurse put together. I also stopped taking the medication that could cause liver damage but I still get 4 liver panels a year.