Quantcast

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I’m thinking the administering nurse would make a rad bar tender, because “oopsing” a whole bottle of booze into a drink is way better than a whole bottle of vaccine into an arm.

Does she still need the follow up dose in two weeks?

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
I’m thinking the administering nurse would make a rad bar tender, because “oopsing” a whole bottle of booze into a drink is way better than a whole bottle of vaccine into an arm.

Does she still need the follow up dose in two weeks?
So does she now get 30G or are there diminishing results?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sorry let me explain:

As everyone knows (or may at least recall from high school), the genetic code uses three units of DNA to specify each amino acid unit of a protein chain. When read in groups of 3, the 4 different kinds of DNA can specify 4 x 4 x 4 or 64 different triplets, or codons as they are called. Since there are only 20 kinds of amino acid, there are more than enough codons to go around, allowing some amino acids to be specified by more than one codon. The amino acid arginine, for instance, can be designated by any of the six codons CGU, CGC, CGA, CGG, AGA or AGG, where A, U, G and C stand for the four different kinds of unit in RNA.
now make me a dinosaur.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Everybody hates Joe Rogan, but he had Josh Rogin (also a WP contributor) on his podcast recently and Rogin laid out the a pretty damming case for China's culpability and yeah, fuck China, Fuck them a lot. I do wish there were another, slightly more intellectual, forum where somebody like Rogin could talk for 3 hours and get a little educated push back, but based on the Rogan episode, China's influence is damn scary, and this exact thing will probably happen again in a few years.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Everybody hates Joe Rogan, but he had Josh Rogin (also a WP contributor) on his podcast recently and Rogin laid out the a pretty damming case for China's culpability and yeah, fuck China, Fuck them a lot. I do wish there were another, slightly more intellectual, forum where somebody like Rogin could talk for 3 hours and get a little educated push back, but based on the Rogan episode, China's influence is damn scary, and this exact thing will probably happen again in a few years.
The article that was posted here before is pretty damning - NIH provided funding for the research in Wuhan because it is illegal on the US soil. The assholes behind it were the first one to yell about the animal transition to cover their tracks.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hey @Toshi , any chance you've been following this "COVID-19 Heterologous Prime Boost study" (or "Com-COV")?

I got my first Astra Zeneca shot on Sunday, only to find out on Tuesday that the Province would stop giving it... So now I'm wondering if I'm up the creek, or actually in a better place...

Just wondering if you have thoughts about it...
Haven't been, but in your position I'd definitely get BNT/Pfizer or Moderna at 4 weeks.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Hey @Toshi , any chance you've been following this "COVID-19 Heterologous Prime Boost study" (or "Com-COV")?

I got my first Astra Zeneca shot on Sunday, only to find out on Tuesday that the Province would stop giving it... So now I'm wondering if I'm up the creek, or actually in a better place...

Just wondering if you have thoughts about it...
Yup, wondering WTF is going on,
My second AZ is "scheduled" for August 13. :rofl:
I'm thinking we may be hosed.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I'll have to give that a listen. Some of Rogan's guests are great conversations, and I leave with a greater appreciation for the individuals (Steven Rinella, Dr. Phil, Neil de Grasse Tyson), but he also has given credence to a lot of loons. Said loons also seem to make up a more significant portion of his guests as of recent.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'll have to give that a listen. Some of Rogan's guests are great conversations, and I leave with a greater appreciation for the individuals (Steven Rinella, Dr. Phil, Neil de Grasse Tyson), but he also has given credence to a lot of loons. Said loons also seem to make up a more significant portion of his guests as of recent.
this is what prevents me from taking him seriously.

also, dr phil is a piece of shit.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
The article that was posted here before is pretty damning - NIH provided funding for the research in Wuhan because it is illegal on the US soil. The assholes behind it were the first one to yell about the animal transition to cover their tracks.
That’s the meat of Robins thoughts, but some of the little side tangents and background info is just astonishing.

China withholding masks and other PPE from countries who even mentioned finding the root cause.

Xi telling Trump it was nothing to worry about and it would disappear when the weather warmed up, then Trump parroting that to the US. Although that one is on us just as much as them TBH.

Their vaccine diplomacy in the wake of a pandemic they more than likely are directly at fault for, I mean jesus.

Yeah, you definitely don’t want to listen to every single episode, but I do tend to listen to any episode with someone I’m interested in, or people like Josh Robin who are experts in a topic of interest. A 3 hour episode with Peter Hotez still contains a lot more good info than the 75 second spot Hotez gets on CNN.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
@maxyedor @StiHacka

I don't understand the fixation on trying to place blame on the country that the virus originated. It's as though some people are seeking a bogeyman to distract from its monumental failings of the united states government in the early days once the information was clear... and the massive problems that still remain.

Let's also not forget that what we're mostly talking about are governments in action, not china or the chinese people. With asian hate crimes going around the US, some clearly seem confused about that fact, and statements like "fuck china" don't help.

While I'm at it, I'd like to add that if that report posted above is to be believed, we have a US scientist (Peter Daszak), doing research at the Wuhan lab, actively participating in the obfuscation.

Fun times.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Read the WHO report?
I read the WP article about the report posted above – is that what you mean? I'm still missing the fixation on source. Ok, if wuhan lab was responsible – what then? Does that somehow absolve everyone else that made mistakes? Or is this simply about understanding what happened and attempting to prevent it in the future.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I read the WP article about the report posted above – is that what you mean? I'm still missing the fixation on source. Ok, if wuhan lab was responsible – what then? Does that somehow absolve everyone else that made mistakes? Or is this simply about understanding what happened and attempting to prevent it in the future.
It is the response of China that was highly problematic - suppressing information and threatening whistleblowers, hiding and corrupting data available to public, refusing to take action, all with full knowledge of the elites.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
@maxyedor @StiHacka

I don't understand the fixation on trying to place blame on the country that the virus originated. It's as though some people are seeking a bogeyman to distract from its monumental failings of the united states government in the early days once the information was clear... and the massive problems that still remain.

Let's also not forget that what we're mostly talking about are governments in action, not china or the chinese people. With asian hate crimes going around the US, some clearly seem confused about that fact, and statements like "fuck china" don't help.

While I'm at it, I'd like to add that if that report posted above is to be believed, we have a US scientist (Peter Daszak), doing research at the Wuhan lab, actively participating in the obfuscation.

Fun times.
US policy and US failings only effects us here in the US. Chinas failings resulted in a worldwide spread and millions of deaths. To say they’re failings of the same caliber is simply false.

The WHO shared in the blame, and to be honest Trumps decision to leave the WHO seems almost prudent as more and more damming evidence comes out of their failings.

“Blame” isn’t really what’s important, but understanding the true genesis of Covid is critical because this can and will happen again, just like it happened before. Would you rather it be contained, or spread like wildfire again? If containment is important then wouldn’t you agree that it’s in our best interest to understand how this whole shitstorm started in the first place? If a Government is dedicated to obfuscating the truth, fuck them.

The facts as they’re reported are that China willfully mislead the WHO, people in the WHO who should have known better believed them, and then China bribed other governments to look the other way. If nobody is held to account for that, why will it not happen again?

I’d assume most people are smart enough to know that when I say China, I mean the State, just as when you say the US I know you’re not talking about me personally. We all know that the average Chinese person lives under the thumb of the Chinese government, and since the Government is the State and the State in question is China, I’ll stand by my “Fuck China” statement, for Covid and a million other reasons.

The rise in anti Asian hate is a tremendous problem, and yeah I want some accountability for that as well, it pisses me off that those stoking the fires of hate here will never be held to account, but at least a portion of Americans including our new leadership are willing to call it out. That said, the rise in hate is not a valid reason to ignore the Chinese government’s culpability in the spread of Covid and Covid misinformation, just as the culpability of the Chinese Government isn’t cause to ignore our previous leadership’s mistakes and outright lies.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
US policy and US failings only effects us here in the US.
This is absolutely not true, at all, in any way.
To say they’re failings of the same caliber is simply false.
Trump killed more people, and allowed it to spread further, with the knowledge China didn’t have about the virus.
but understanding the true genesis of Covid is critical because this can and will happen again,
Yes, this is the most important thing.
If a Government is dedicated to obfuscating the truth, fuck them.
The US government lied more fundamentally and longer than even dicks like Bolasarino or whatever his dick name is.
China willfully mislead the WHO,
The alternative view is China was overly cautious about the science it was seeing. It’s easy to see something in hindsight, I’d challenge you to make those calls and come out looking good.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Xi telling Trump it was nothing to worry about and it would disappear when the weather warmed up, then Trump parroting that to the US. Although that one is on us just as much as them TBH.
Can you cite a source for this?
Other than Trump himself saying it.
Cause Trump is you know..... a habitual liar, and most of his statements are patently false.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
The alternative view is China was overly cautious about the science it was seeing. It’s easy to see something in hindsight, I’d challenge you to make those calls and come out looking good.
Yeah, but then you need to play with open cards and make descisions even if they hurt your country. For example, when the mink variant of the virus started to spread to humans in Denmark, the Danish government made this public early on, which lead to travel bans for Danish residents in many countries. Later they decided to close down this whole industry by buying out the mink farmers and killing all animals. This is why we are not talking about a Danish or mink variant of the virus right now.
China had the experience with SARS1, so they should have been reacting better. Now not being interested in an independent investigation also does not sit well with me, similar to buying up foreign companies that are in financial trouble because of the pandemic. Not taking any responsibility and trying to benefit from this makes some of the conspiracy theories sound not that crazy to me anymore.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
US policy and US failings only effects us here in the US.
This is just not true. It would be nice if things were so nicely compartmentalized.

“Blame” isn’t really what’s important, but understanding the true genesis of Covid is critical because this can and will happen again, just like it happened before. Would you rather it be contained, or spread like wildfire again? If containment is important then wouldn’t you agree that it’s in our best interest to understand how this whole shitstorm started in the first place? If a Government is dedicated to obfuscating the truth, fuck them.

The facts as they’re reported are that China willfully mislead the WHO, people in the WHO who should have known better believed them, and then China bribed other governments to look the other way. If nobody is held to account for that, why will it not happen again?
Ok, this is really about trying to get to the root and preventing it from happening again. I got you.

I’ll stand by my “Fuck China” statement, for Covid and a million other reasons.
I hope that works out for you.

the rise in hate is not a valid reason to ignore the Chinese government’s culpability in the spread of Covid and Covid misinformation, just as the culpability of the Chinese Government isn’t cause to ignore our previous leadership’s mistakes and outright lies.
Right. So, let's say the blame can be placed on a chinese lab/chinese govt, etc. Now what?

Last edited:

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
The WHO shared in the blame, and to be honest Trumps decision to leave the WHO seems almost prudent as more and more damming evidence comes out of their failings.
Or maybe it would be more prudent to retain a seat at the table and use this as an opportunity to reform the WHO? Agree that US failings, Chinese failings, etc do not just have impacts compartmentalized to those specific countries, which is why there needs to be a strong, coordinated global response.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Or maybe it would be more prudent to retain a seat at the table and use this as an opportunity to reform the WHO? Agree that US failings, Chinese failings, etc do not just have impacts compartmentalized to those specific countries, which is why there needs to be a strong, coordinated global response.
I did not say what you quoted. It was a copy/paste error from @maxyedor. Sorry about that. I've edited my post.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
And then you have this, because mutations. :fie: