Quantcast

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
So here in my Flatario corner of Canuckistan we have a choice of second dose if your first was AstraZeneca. So, being my first was AZ, what do I do for my second?
Stay with AZ or go Pfizer or Moderna?

I have not yet read up on the mixed vaccine efficiency.
Anybody want to point me in the right direction?

What would you choose?
Don't have the research handy anymore, but from what I've seen so far, mix n'match seems to work as well, and maybe marginally better. It's what I'm opting for. Plus, I'm eligible sooner that way! And it's what @Toshi recommended too!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Girlfriend was able to see her father in person last night, for the first time since before Christmas. He lives in a long term care building, which were hit hard here, so have been basically locked up. Seven months of no in person interactions; he was able to give her her Christmas present. We cut his hair in the parking lot - we still can't go into the building.

We're both now scheduled to get the 2nd shot on Monday. Is it over yet?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Girlfriend was able to see her father in person last night, for the first time since before Christmas. He lives in a long term care building, which were hit hard here, so have been basically locked up. Seven months of no in person interactions; he was able to give her her Christmas present. We cut his hair in the parking lot - we still can't go into the building.

We're both now scheduled to get the 2nd shot on Monday. Is it over yet?
AFAICT - it's pretty much over here. Most businesses have the "no mask if you're fully vaxed" signs out.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
AFAICT - it's pretty much over here. Most businesses have the "no mask if you're fully vaxed" signs out.
Lucky...

Ontario is still far from that, unfortunately. The Ontario border with Manitoba and Quebec is only opening tomorrow. Our most recent lockdown of everything just ended on Friderp.

But they at least seem to be getting the hint that outdoor recreation is good for all - no more cop patrols at trail heads, from what I've seen. And we can sit on patios and enjoy a beer now.

But the rest..still unknown. Mask wearing is still 100% mandatory everywhere, unless you're outside and not within the confines of a business.

:confused:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
But, at least the numbers are significantly lower than not long ago:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I overheard some a few knuckledraggers at work explain that they will not get a vaccine so the can quarantine (paid time off work) if exposed or test positive.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I overheard some a few knuckledraggers at work explain that they will not get a vaccine so the can quarantine (paid time off work) if exposed or test positive.
We have a colleague who is peripherally on our team in OK that both refuses to wear a mask or get vaccinated. A part of our business will still require mandatory face-face meetings with plans and it looks like the company will require a medical reason for not getting vaccinations if you are client facing. He could be setting himself up for a world of hurt because he's a very highly paid individual for where he lives and it is very unlikely he would get even 75% of what he makes if he were to get fired.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
We have a colleague who is peripherally on our team in OK that both refuses to wear a mask or get vaccinated. A part of our business will still require mandatory face-face meetings with plans and it looks like the company will require a medical reason for not getting vaccinations if you are client facing. He could be setting himself up for a world of hurt because he's a very highly paid individual for where he lives and it is very unlikely he would get even 75% of what he makes if he were to get fired.
Freedom isn't free.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
:popcorn:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
My youngest at 17 just got his first Pfizer chip implantation yesterday.
Feeling a bit low, and his arm is just a might bit sore today.
Thankfully, now everybody in the household has had their first shot.
Everybody has had Pfizer, except me who gotz teh AZ. From what I have been reading, I'm gonna try for Pfizer for me second.

Now feeling just a little bit better.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
There are stories like this in Europe too. One interpretation of this would be that China actually did the world a huge favour by identifying the outbreak first, and the West needs to seriously up their novel disease monitoring game.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
So here in my Flatario corner of Canuckistan we have a choice of second dose if your first was AstraZeneca. So, being my first was AZ, what do I do for my second?
Stay with AZ or go Pfizer or Moderna?

I have not yet read up on the mixed vaccine efficiency.
Anybody want to point me in the right direction?

What would you choose?
So it looks like the choice is being made for us... https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/astra-zeneca-second-shots-stop-1.6069838

"The National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI) is recommending the provinces stop administering the AstraZeneca vaccine in most cases — even as booster shots for people who've already received first doses of the product.

NACI said Thursday that AstraZeneca recipients should instead receive a second dose of an mRNA vaccine, like the ones offered by Pfizer and Moderna."

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
So it looks like the choice is being made for us... https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/astra-zeneca-second-shots-stop-1.6069838

"The National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI) is recommending the provinces stop administering the AstraZeneca vaccine in most cases — even as booster shots for people who've already received first doses of the product.

NACI said Thursday that AstraZeneca recipients should instead receive a second dose of an mRNA vaccine, like the ones offered by Pfizer and Moderna."

Booked on July 11 to have the second antennae installed.
This one will be Pfizer.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Booked on July 11 to have the second antennae installed.
This one will be Pfizer.
nice. I booked mine yesterday, but nothing available (locally) till August 28 :think:

I'm eligible to receive dose two on July 4. I'm also on pharmacy waitlists. Hopefully the private sector moves quicker than government...

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
I didn't see this coming...

:cheers::cupidarrow::picsstfu:

Sperm Parameters Before and After COVID-19 mRNA Vaccination

TL;DR
While these results showed statistically significant increases in all sperm parameters, the magnitude of change is within normal individual variation and may be influenced by regression to the mean.5

Additionally, the increase may be due to the increased abstinence time before the second sample.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van

My first was AZ and I'm booked for a Pfizer spritzer on June 28th.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'm eligible for my second dose as of July 4th. When I first tried to book an appointment, I couldn't get anything before August 28th. I just had a look again today and was able to book for July 5th. Score! And it's closer to home too, so I can even bike there.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
So it seems this Australian who, as the press are saying, has created ‘an incursion in our bubble’, was very busy and had a packed weekend itinerary. People are congratulating them on social media for their good taste in establishments visited and sheer number of places visited. Apparently there are several locations not on the list that are not considered ’of interest’ because no-one else was there, including a student art installation.:rofl:

In very good news his(?) (their?, although one of the locations was a men’s barber) four ‘close contacts’ (the people who they were travelling with/met in NZ) have all tested negative, and they downloaded and used our local tracing app. :clapping:

Contact tracing is in full swing and loads of people are getting tested downtown now, and in a really positive sign 99% of NZ seems to be demonstrating what you would charitably call ‘social responsibility’ or less charitably ‘fear’ and people are throwing themselves on the testing stations to the point that they are being asked if they were really a vaguely close contact and asked to make appointments. Hopefully we got this one.

Last edited: