Quantcast

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
2nd chip shot has been implanted administered.

AZ the first.
Moderna this time.

Was originally told it would be Pfizer when booking. When I asked was told Moderna. Basically it is either Pfizer or Moderna, depending upon the supply. She said it seems to change day to day.

Ahh the 2.0 upgrade...... Heard it was less buggy.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
View attachment 162038

Some annotations:

light blue -- the tips of various chest tubes
purple -- gas in body wall and neck related to putting in those chest tubes through the chest wall
yellow -- pneumothorax, a dropped lung necessitating the right sided chest tube (probably a left one that went away with the tube as well)
dark blue -- tip of an endotracheal tube, a breathing tube down the throat, so they're intubated and sedated so that they don't fight the tube
green -- worst regions of the COVID pneumonia

Cliffs Notes: No bueno
That image is scary... Do people recover (as in back to life) from that?

I´ve got vaccinated a few weeks ago... most of my family (mom, sisters, in laws) has been vaccinated (except my wife, she is not age-eligeble in Peru yet... and has not been able to skip work long enough to travel). She is due for a shot in september.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That image is scary... Do people recover (as in back to life) from that?

I´ve got vaccinated a few weeks ago... most of my family (mom, sisters, in laws) has been vaccinated (except my wife, she is not age-eligeble in Peru yet... and has not been able to skip work long enough to travel). She is due for a shot in september.
I'm glad that you and most of your family have gotten vaccinated! So much of the world is still months back of where the US has gotten to.

There's definitely going to be scarring associated with that disease. So either just living with diminished lung function, or if it gets bad enough, then lung transplant. In this case probably the former--not on ECMO... yet.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Offered to be a volunteer for a UW study on the effects of receiving additional doses of different types of vaccine. I received the single J&J shot back in early April. Will see if I get selected. Funny thing is I could walk in just about anywhere and get a second dose of any flavor if I so choosed.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Anybody have the link that shows county-by-county rates (and increases) for COVID in the US? Looks like TN is a clusterfuck (+400% in last 2-weeks *shocker*), but I want to see what that looks like vs. Denver-metro. And whether we need to separate from MIL1 for a few weeks once we get back (which I'm feeling that we should).

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Anybody have the link that shows county-by-county rates (and increases) for COVID in the US? Looks like TN is a clusterfuck (+400% in last 2-weeks *shocker*), but I want to see what that looks like vs. Denver-metro. And whether we need to separate from MIL1 for a few weeks once we get back (which I'm feeling that we should).
Try worldofmeteres.com

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Maybe this one? https://covidactnow.org/?s=2032951

Cliff's Notes: both metro areas (Nashville & Denver) show similar infection rates...

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
@eric strt6 and @Toshi and anyone else for that matter…

What are your thoughts on hanging around with health care workers who have to be in COVID filled environments, given the current state of things, particularly with the delta out there?

I’ve got a couple of friends who want to visit soon, and they’ve each been vaccinated, but they probably have higher exposure risk than the average man on the street due to their professions. One would be traveling, and thus staying in my house overnight. I honestly don’t know if I should be more or less concerned than I am. Part of me says the likelihood of infection isn’t high, and that the symptoms might not be bad if I did get infected, given my vaccination status. The other part of me says we aren’t out of the woods and I should tighten my tinfoil hat.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

What are your thoughts on hanging around with health care workers who have to be in COVID filled environments, given the current state of things, particularly with the delta out there?

I’ve got a couple of friends who want to visit soon, and they’ve each been vaccinated, but they probably have higher exposure risk than the average man on the street due to their professions. One would be traveling, and thus staying in my house overnight. I honestly don’t know if I should be more or less concerned than I am. Part of me says the likelihood of infection isn’t high, and that the symptoms might not be bad if I did get infected, given my vaccination status. The other part of me says we aren’t out of the woods and I should tighten my tinfoil hat.
I've just spent a week at my SIL's house and she's a dentist, doesn't get much more high exposure than that.

As long as they're following the precautions at work and everyone is vaccinated unfortunately I think you have to accept a little risk in life now as COVID isn't going away.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
unfortunately I think you have to accept a little risk in life now as COVID isn't going away.
I understand that. I’m just trying to find a risk position that’s comfortable and reasonable. Going to a restaurant has happened. Going to a gym hasn’t. Would I sit outside for a drink? Yes. Would I let someone sit on my couch? Yes. Seems like an easy leap to letting them sleep on my couch. I mean, I know married folks in healthcare and they come home and kiss their spouse every day, and I’ve yet to hear them tell covid horror stories. I’d probably let a hot dentist fill my cavities, but I’m not sure if I’d return the favor ;)

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Mandown, If everyone is Vaccinated and Asymptomatic I would not be too worried. You could stay masked up when in close quarters indoors and that should cover it
My biggest boogeyman is that in each case, they’d be coming from work without testing in the interim (even though they do regularly test at work). So if one of them goes into a facility on Friday and then shows up Saturday, there’s a chance for a asymptomatic or pre symptomatic infection. I feel like masking up for a weekend houseguest is not realistic.

One guest is friends with my mom and she’d probably want to visit, if possible. I have mixed feelings about that potential exposure given her age.

At the same time, I’m kinda over this isolation. I’ve been more isolated than most people. Although, what I did yesterday won’t prevent what could happen tomorrow.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I’d have them visit. They’re likely to be fairly cautious at work anyway. I lasted until the vaccine without seroconverting, albeit with limited patient contact (mainly just contact with other staff).

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Oddly enough, one of them caught it at one point. From a close social contact, not from the job. Even weirder is that others in their household didn’t get infected while they were symptomatic.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I have had 3 clients that I transport 3 times a week to Dialysis get covid and end up in the hospital. one on a vent for a month. Everyone wears a mask while in the vehicle. I did not get it and I did not infect my wife. Since then they have been vaccinated and as far as I know no other patients or techs at Dialysis got sick either.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004

What others have said - we're all vaccinated in my unit, and so are all the family/any of the friends we are likely to hang out with.

I have made the offer when with them to wear a mask if they are nervous, but so far everyone has not wanted me to.

I slipped up somewhere/somehow last November - myself and Mrs. Scrub both positive. Thankfully very minimal symptoms. Mrs. Scrub is dealing with some long term issues. I feel like a complete shithead for bringing it home.
Since then, have been much more careful when gearing up for a Covid patient, and when out of the house shopping and so on with my mask and sanitizer. She doesn't want me to feel bad/guilty about it, but I do anyhow. No desire to bring it home again/have another go around/pass it to anyone else.

A bunch of my fellow staff were all positive within a month - we think that during a lull between waves we all got a little lax/complacent - and passed it around while in our break room eating/drinking without masks on. Only would have taken one of us.

Last edited:

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
So, this morning I took my daughter to the pharmacy around the corner to get her vaccination before school starts, where there is a HUGE ASS SIGN in front of the door that says "No COVID-19 testing inside the store". Seems pretty straightforward.

So, I wasn't sure where to sign in for her to get her shot (different place than where I had mine), so we waited in line at the immediate care type place to ask...then I heard one guy say that he was there to get tested, which resulted in a somewhat loud "What the hell?!" from me and me grabbing my daughter to get far further back. Found the correct place to check in (different area), she got her shot and then when we were walking out the person who does the check in at the immediate care area made a point to apologize for the long wait. I asked him if I heard correctly that this guy was there to get tested for COVID. He said, not only him, but ALL FOUR people ahead of us were there to get tested. And.....this kind of thing happens all. the. time. Even told me a story about a guy lying so that he could continue shopping as his wife was getting (positively) tested. I was also told that they can't kick them out of the store?!

For every last one of you guys in medicine, from the front counter to being a physician, know this: The fact that you have deal with this absolute stupidity and complete selfishness, on what is likely a daily basis, putting yourself in danger for the benefit of your fellow man, makes you absolute heroes.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i have regular meetings with one of our sites in switzerland, which includes a few French folks as well. they can't believe that such a large portion of the US is refusing to vaccinate, especially now with delta. they could not *wait* for the vaccines to be approved in their countries.