Quantcast

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
i have regular meetings with one of our sites in switzerland, which includes a few French folks as well. they can't believe that such a large portion of the US is refusing to vaccinate, especially now with delta. they could not *wait* for the vaccines to be approved in their countries.
Strange. They must not have Facebook, where the truth for all such matters is found.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
i have regular meetings with one of our sites in switzerland, which includes a few French folks as well. they can't believe that such a large portion of the US is refusing to vaccinate, especially now with delta. they could not *wait* for the vaccines to be approved in their countries.
Our county is up there with Alabama and you better believe every one of them was at Walmart without a mask the day they lifted the mandate.

Just praying for natural selection to do it's thing.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have stopped when I go shopping (fully vaxxed with moderna here), but when I take the kids along, we all wear masks.

Work is mask free at this point...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The UK has vaccination rates a fair bit higher than the US. I think we should expect something like this but worse.

1626878213945.png

The good news is that if you are vaccinated you are much less likely to get fucked up by Covid.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Just got an email reminder that the oncologist office I'm visiting again tomorrow is still requiring masks. Masks are still mandatory when ever accessing the aircraft per policy of pretty much every airline still flying. I'm super tempted to start wearing my mask again when in public, even though everyone in the house is fully vaccinated.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The UK has vaccination rates a fair bit higher than the US. I think we should expect something like this but worse.

View attachment 162470

The good news is that if you are vaccinated you are much less likely to get fucked up by Covid.
And now Canada decides it is the time to open the borders to the USA. Madness.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Has it ever been determined if vaccinated folks can be transmissible, asymptomatic?
Yes. Your odds of getting infected, being symptomatic or getting really sick are just a hell of a lot better.

There isn't a lot of data at this point, and the percentages vary a lot by study but lets just say that if you are vaccinated you are 60% less likely to get infected from an exposure than a non-vaccinated person. If you are vaccinated and get infected you are 60% less likely to show symptoms and are like 90% less likely to have severe symptoms. *Or something like that.

The main purpose of the vaccine isn't to protect the person, but to stop the spread, we failed there despite having the resources. However, as a relatively young and healthy person you are fairly well protected. Perhaps if you are vaccinated it truly is like "just the flu".

*numbers are gross approximations from the memory of a non expert who read some stuff (we should reach out to @Colonel Angus to see if we are even qualified to have this discussion)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
As I understand it the Delta variant has evolved to better elude our antibody response and therefor is more likely to infect a vaccinated person or someone previously infected. However antibodies are just one way the immune system fights off the infection. T-Cells are there to fight off the infection once is settles in, that still seems to work the same way with Delta.

Shizzon

Monkey
Jun 25, 2015
Found out Sunday that my 31 year old brother (with bad lungs that send him to the ER 1-2 times a year with pneumonia) and his wife both have Covid. Neither chose to get vaccinated in spite of my brother being in an elevated risk category.

I never thought of my brother as an anti-vax'er or a particularly dumb individual but somehow he was persuaded to wait on the vaccine and is now paying the price. I now wish I had done my brotherly duty and made him feel like a dumbass more frequently than I did, but we are where we are.

Hoping for a rapid recovery without long-term symptoms.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Yes. Your odds of getting infected, being symptomatic or getting really sick are just a hell of a lot better.

There isn't a lot of data at this point, and the percentages vary a lot by study but lets just say that if you are vaccinated you are 60% less likely to get infected from an exposure than a non-vaccinated person. If you are vaccinated and get infected you are 60% less likely to show symptoms and are like 90% less likely to have severe symptoms. *Or something like that.

The main purpose of the vaccine isn't to protect the person, but to stop the spread, we failed there despite having the resources. However, as a relatively young and healthy person you are fairly well protected. Perhaps if you are vaccinated it truly is like "just the flu".

*numbers are gross approximations from the memory of a non expert who read some stuff (we should reach out to @Colonel Angus to see if we are even qualified to have this discussion)
I guess my question was more in regards to places like Canaderp opening up to "vaccinated people". It seems to this total layman, that if a disease is still transmissible via a person regardless of vaccination or illness status, it would behoove a country to keep its lower neighbor locked down in it's own uneducated, mouth breathing cesspool.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I guess my question was more in regards to places like Canaderp opening up to "vaccinated people". It seems to this total layman, that if a disease is still transmissible via a person regardless of vaccination or illness status, it would behoove a country to keep its lower neighbor locked down in it's own uneducated, mouth breathing cesspool.

True, but they will be filtering out a large percentage of the mouth breathers. But yeah, any travel increases the risk of spreading.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
somehow he was persuaded to wait on the vaccine
this is what i don't understand more than just being anti-vax. the wait and see approach? waiting for what? an improved vaccine? vaccine 2.0? that's not how it works. if there were going to be widespread adverse reactions, we would have seen them by now. the only realistic reason they'd change the formulation at this point would be to combat reduced efficacy in the event of viral mutations that it proved less effective against (doesn't seem we're at that point with the delta variant, but further evolution would push things in that direction).

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Found out Sunday that my 31 year old brother (with bad lungs that send him to the ER 1-2 times a year with pneumonia) and his wife both have Covid. Neither chose to get vaccinated in spite of my brother being in an elevated risk category.

I never thought of my brother as an anti-vax'er or a particularly dumb individual but somehow he was persuaded to wait on the vaccine and is now paying the price. I now wish I had done my brotherly duty and made him feel like a dumbass more frequently than I did, but we are where we are.

Hoping for a rapid recovery without long-term symptoms.
That's a bummer dude. My Brother was not only high risk due to health issues, but married to an ER nurse. He was practically begging to get vaccinated.

Hope your brother pulls through so you can kick his ass afterwards.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
View attachment 162480

Quit watching fucker mcduck carlson then. FAaFO

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yep. This becomes *very* important information in assessing the situation...

Not quite the same, but this article compares number of the gen pop vs unvaccinated. One could try to extrapolate the infection rate for vaccinated based on this but it is a pain. A few quick calculations from a few data points says that very few cases are from the vaccinated. However I would assume that a vaccinated person isn't very likely to get tested without showing symptoms.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
I don't understand a lick of this thread, but it sounds like Covid "boosters" will be the new normal as they fine-tune vaccination protocols in response to new variants...

#insertjpegofbunnyeatingweed

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
For clarification, travel to Canada requires both vaccination and a negative pcr test.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Whose Twine Is It Anyway?

I don't know but I suspect it's Ryan Styles.
Not that it maters as Twine is no longer on your side, some govenments freedom speaders have decided to let Covis spread and mutate, so by the end of the year we should be up to Zebra varrient..... And when the zebra comes knocking shit gonna go bad.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I have stopped when I go shopping (fully vaxxed with moderna here), but when I take the kids along, we all wear masks.

Work is mask free at this point...
3/4 fully vaxxed here (youngest is only 9 so no vax for her yet) but I wear my mask when she's with me (we pinky promised) and whenever we go out of our usual areas or when our usual spots are more crowded (track season). Masks still at work whenever inside with the kids though and it's probably going to be the same in the fall at school from the sounds of the news.