Quantcast

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Is it time yet to have a conversation about how utterly toxic fuckbook and twatter are to society at large and how their negative impacts, e.g. facilitating the erosion of entire societies and aiding and abetting the deaths of hundreds of thousands through wilful promotion of misinformation are by far not worth the ‘benefits’ of sharing your baby pictures with people you hardly ever see and don’t really care about?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
fuck no, that bigoted narrow minded bitch need to be one of the ones that catches it and dies
so one of my co workers got sick. I masked up and took him to the Doc yesterday. He got covid tested. He is 75 and had gotten the Johnson and Johnson vaccine a few months ago. Results just came back. He is Covid Positive

Dammit just called 911 to take my co worker back to the hospital
pick up your mother in law on the way there

eyesdarting.gif

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Damn @eric strt6 — Kia kaha bro.

Wife was on a conference call with a lady in FL today, mid 40s(ish, my guess), she had the delta and was trying to work from home (wtf America). Told her to get off the call and go to bed. Holy shitballs she was not OK, she looked like death warmed up.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Damn @eric strt6 — Kia kaha bro.

Wife was on a conference call with a lady in FL today, mid 40s(ish, my guess), she had the delta and was trying to work from home (wtf America). Told her to get off the call and go to bed. Holy shitballs she was not OK, she looked like death warmed up.
She was just pulling up on those bootstraps.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
She was just pulling up on those bootstraps.
Luckily for her she draws a wage from an NZ company who offer unlimited sick leave and great foreign health insurance. She was just responding to /acting on her cultural conditioning / ‘Protestant guilt’ / capitalism norms / high C personality type. She needed a reminder / explicit permission to chill. Hope she does better, she seems like a really smart person. The FL location does take a couple of points off this argument pthough…

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Da phuq? I guess it's not a big deal. It's not like Florida is having a big issue with the whole COVID thing.

meanwhile in florida.... gov douchesantis is basically trying to hide the # of kids he's killing. from the article:

Although cases have spiked across all age groups in Florida, a Miami Herald analysis of weekly case data revealed that the sharpest increase over the past month has occurred among kids under 12.
There have been seven deaths reported among children 16 and under since the beginning of the pandemic in March 2020, but Florida stopped reporting COVID-19 deaths by age group to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in July.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Ugh. Most social series of days I’ve had since this began and the anxiety is stupid. Coffee outdoors Friday and Saturday. Indoor visits with groups of one to three friends Sunday and Monday (all vaccinated). Monday group had the most external social contact of anyone I saw. It was stupid how the wheels in my head wouldn’t stop turning, doing the math on how likely one of “them” was exposed and my chances of a breakthrough, or what if I’d picked it up and passed it on to them.

This shit is exhausting. I don’t know how I’d manage it if I had a public facing job and/or kids. I’m sure I’d find a way, and I have a lot of respect for those of you dealing with this shit.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ugh. Most social series of days I’ve had since this began and the anxiety is stupid. Coffee outdoors Friday and Saturday. Indoor visits with groups of one to three friends Sunday and Monday (all vaccinated). Monday group had the most external social contact of anyone I saw. It was stupid how the wheels in my head wouldn’t stop turning, doing the math on how likely one of “them” was exposed and my chances of a breakthrough, or what if I’d picked it up and passed it on to them.

This shit is exhausting. I don’t know how I’d manage it if I had a public facing job and/or kids. I’m sure I’d find a way, and I have a lot of respect for those of you dealing with this shit.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth

I deal with it the same way I deal with all the other infectious diseases that I get exposed to. Mask, gloves, disinfect and the fatalistic attitude that I do a job that someone has to do. Any of the shit out there can kill me, we all die at some point so why worry. I knew the risks when I signed up for the profession. nothing has changed, just most of the deadly stuff is not as widespread or widely known by the public at large but there is a lot of it out there.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I deal with it the same way I deal with all the other infectious diseases that I get exposed to. Mask, gloves, disinfect and the fatalistic attitude that I do a job that someone has to do. Any of the shit out there can kill me, we all die at some point so why worry. I knew the risks when I signed up for the profession. nothing has changed, just most of the deadly stuff is not as widespread or widely known by the public at large but there is a lot of it out there.
+rep for eric plz.

(and anyone else on here who has to deal with us plebs when we're sick and/or old)

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I wish there was a way to know where infections are happening, in terms of location types.
Is it medical/healthcare facilities, or do the safety protocols actually limit transmission better than other arenas?
Is it bars and restaurants, where people can do mask-off drinking and dining?
Is it family gatherings?
Is it airports, or shopping malls, or movie theaters, or grocery stores...?

Obviously every region has different covid concentrations and different vax rates and different mask rules/adherence. But I'd imagine the venue for transmission could be similar.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I wish there was a way to know where infections are happening, in terms of location types.
Is it medical/healthcare facilities, or do the safety protocols actually limit transmission better than other arenas?
Is it family gatherings?

Obviously every region has different covid concentrations and different vax rates and different mask rules/adherence. But I'd imagine the venue for transmission could be similar.

look for the red hats ....

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Is it family gatherings?
yes.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Is it family gatherings?

^^Where there's people. With higher risk if there's no masks and much higher risk again if indoors.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

"The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function"

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
everyday....

not stressed at all....

respect is over rated...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
@stoney just following up on what we were discussing yesterday re: EUA vs full approval, if you want some easy talking points, try these two, as its easier to explain the differences than how the process is similar. and start with the disclaimer that EUA's are only granted during situations that are deemed a public health crisis (there's some other technicalities here, but if you have to explain this to someone, those details will likely result in blank stares).

1 - Emergency Use Authorization basically gives a drug/vaccine expedited review by the FDA. It sends it to the head of the line. Normal FDA approval takes 10 months or longer from the time of initial submission. As we saw with the covid vaccines, this duration was drastically reduced. i believe they all came in under 2 months (please correct me if this is inaccurate)

2 - Under an EUA, the FDA controls / directs the distribution, NOT the manufacturer. This is a stipulation of the EUA since it concerns/addresses a public health crisis.

more details (especially concerning the use of EUA's during covid) can be found here if you want to nerd out:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Well done, Alabama... well done, indeed. :disgust:
i can't quite put my finger on it, but i feel like these might be related

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
I'll admit that the tiny bit of schadenfreude I feel is far outweighed by the sadness I feel when I think about just how many preventable deaths are going to occur in the next couple of weeks. I really feel bad for the medical professionals that are going to be dealing with it all and the mental issues they will probably all have for years to come.