Quantcast

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Yeah this should only be done in really serious cases. You should refuse antibiotics unless there is proof or very strong likelihood of a bacterial infection, as this is how resistant strains emerge, and also antibiotics often fuck your gut biome (at least) up which is super bad news. There is also evidence starting to emerge that overuse of antibiotics may be at least partially responsible for the increase in prevalence of allergies, asthma and other autoimmune issues which it seems are at least somewhat mediated by your gut biome.
hesright.jpg

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Yeah this should only be done in really serious cases. You should refuse antibiotics unless there is proof or very strong likelihood of a bacterial infection, as this is how resistant strains emerge, and also antibiotics often fuck your gut biome (at least) up which is super bad news. There is also evidence starting to emerge that overuse of antibiotics may be at least partially responsible for the increase in prevalence of allergies, asthma and other autoimmune issues which it seems are at least somewhat mediated by your gut biome.
The funny part about the human, and especially gut microbiome is that we are still lacking a definition on what a "good and healthy" microbiome is. There are so many variations between individuals and a large fluidity in it's composition in each person that we still do not understand. Until we get closer to this understanding, I think it is pretty wild that things like fecal microbial transplants are considered. Yes, they work, but predicting if donor microbiomes or artificially created replacement microbiomes will be safe for the patient is still challenging. The manipulation of the gut microbiome with antibiotics has similar challenges and I think in 20 years we will look back and think it was crazy how thoughtless antibiotics were used in less than severe cases and animal farming.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I think in 20 years we will look back and think it was crazy how thoughtless antibiotics were used in less than severe cases and animal farming.
I like your optimism that this will be a point of concern in 20 years time over the scorched earth and lack of food and water crisis that we'll be well in to by then.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
We really don’t have to be fucked. It’s entirely our choice.
E.g. in this case: You could easily ditch a small fraction of your military and pay for enough nuclear power and desalination plants to have plentiful water for all.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Oregon mandate masks indoors. Now I get to wear my mask all day when in my cube because it's awesome.

Get home, run to Safeway, 50/50 masks. This is why it's a mandate people! Because y'all suck

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Sadly a properly informed and operational Pre-Frontal-Cortex can easily figure out how not to be fucked. Sadly we also have Limbic Lizard brains that only want to Feed, Fuck and Fight, and this has computational priority with most people.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So what you're saying, in too many big words, is that we're fucked. It's hard to argue against that.

Pretty much. What are your kids going to school for? Hopefully warlording cuz shit isn't going to go down in an organized and civil fashion.

I am trying to come up with a design for a nice fire and weatherproof dome made of skulls. Or at least the tops of them, I figure they could make for terra cotta like shingles.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Pretty much. What are your kids going to school for? Hopefully warlording cuz shit isn't going to go down in an organized and civil fashion.
Enginerding. One EE and one considering Civil. I suppose those lines of work may lend themselves to warlording... maybe.

I am trying to come up with a design for a nice fire and weatherproof dome made of skulls. Or at least the tops of them, I figure they could make for terra cotta like shingles.
I'd buy something like that. :homer:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Enginerding. One EE and one considering Civil. I suppose those lines of work may lend themselves to warlording... maybe.

I'd buy something like that. :homer:
Dipshit son of my friend is back there for attempt #2 at his first semester freshman year. His housing accommodations are nicer than any house I have lived in.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Huh. It's a shame this snuck up on us like this... if only there had been some indication that this might happen. If only we had had some sort warning.

It's really a shame we didn't have some sort of preventative thing for this novel virus. Like a vaccine - now having *that* would be a game changer.

:disgust:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Huh. It's a shame this snuck up on us like this... if only there had been some indication that this might happen. If only we had had some sort warning.

It's really a shame we didn't have some sort of preventative thing for this novel virus. Like a vaccine - now having *that* would be a game changer.

:disgust:
next, god will smite them with a hurricane.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator