Quantcast

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Bought a few stocks yesterday. Figure Coca Cola will report high sales. Looking at Clorox, Proctologist & Gamble, and a few retail stores.
I did the same yesterday.
Smrt move, if we live.
Don't forget to buy stock in beer/liquor/gambling operations for the downturn!
This address from trump is awful.
Can't that man read a script without adlibbing or blabbering on about some shit?
No.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
My play account is comical right now. Dumped virtually everything 3-4 months ago, moved my original capital and some profit out of then bought shiny new stocks a few weeks back, lets just say that was an inideal time to buy Boeing. Account is down 37% since reshuffling a month ago, thinking I won't have to worry about short term gains tax, so I've got that going for me

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
These youngsters haven’t lost a dime in the retirement accounts they haven’t been able to afford to establish. I don’t hear them crowing how they’re doing 25% better than those of us with struggling investments.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Bought a few stocks yesterday. Figure Coca Cola will report high sales. Looking at Clorox, Proctologist & Gamble, and a few retail stores.

Talked to my broker today.
Will buy steel and energy stock. Price to earning has dropped to 4.x in Peru with the new prices.

Mining stock (China is the biggest market) has dropped to 3.x PER. Just a matter of waiting for the rebound for 25%+ yearly returns... like the ones had 15 years ago at my local stock market.
Am selling the AMG to invest. Going balls deep.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Company just announced that, worldwide, all headquarters, engineering offices, group offices and the like are to work from home until end of March. Oddly they exclude China from these restrictions...

Earlier this week there was discussions revolving around what happens when they run out of our 4000 RSA tokens. I think they did... :rofl:

Anyways.....work as usual here.

At least the beer isn't being pillaged yet.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
I have been wanting to follow up to my previous post, but work and work travel have been keeping me away.

To clarify for those who accused me of being "one of those" who are making things worse by not taking this seriously enough. Take a deep breath. I am taking it seriously. In fact, in my day to day I find that I am the one who most strongly admonishes my peers and anyone with whom I have contact that this situation needs to be taken very seriously. I was horrified this week at how many people wanted to shake hands at the beginning and end of meetings. "Oh, I wasn't even thinking about that?" To which I really wanted to answer, "have you been living under a rock or do you think being and upper middle class white man will save you?" Alas, I was meeting with customers...

Back to the point at hand, two things we don't need in my opinion are panic or blind acceptance of the scenarios being presented to us. Thus, my earlier questions about infection rates and numbers relative to the flu. Something about the scenarios that we are seeing still does not pass my sniff test. Acting to minimize risk at all turns WHILE viewing every piece of information presented with healthy skepticism is my m.o.

To that end, I have a new question for COVID-19monkey.com. (Btw, I present this question to the Monkey, because I find the demographic here is, while very narrow, interesting and at times insightful. It also happens to be a demographic that fit I in.)

When looking at total cases in China as a function of time, it is reported to have slowed significantly (d/dt near zero for both linear and log) around Feb 19. Further, when looking at active cases, the data shows that China peaked around Feb 17 at 60k active cases and is currently decreasing. This peak seemed to occur after 4 weeks. The starting point is a little vague, because the first data point is at 500 cases for PRC. Charts for other countries start the timelines at single digit case counts. Nonetheless, if the behavior of the virus is independent of culture (bad assumption, but more on that later / that's the point maybe), should all countries be expecting a plateau at the 4-6 week point?

(source: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/china/)

If the answer is "yes, we should expect a plateau at that time," why are we still predicting cases in the millions? Viewing the data per capita the USA should have far less than the 80k total cases seen in PRC. Not great for our medical or economic system, but certainly not doomsday.

If the answer is "no, we shouldn't expect a plateau similar to the Chinese one," my question is why?

Are China and the WHO lying to us? Why? PRC I can understand, but the WHO has no motive to lie. (Unless you buy into the rightwing mouthbreather trope...)

Are we doing things differently than China? Obviously, the answer is yes, but perhaps -gasp- the Chinese are doing things correctly. Maybe we do need significant curtailment of our Freedumbs to save us. Maybe for-profit healthcare and insurance institutions are not in the best interest of Murica. Perhaps we need to be more concerned about our health and that of our neighbor than our vacation plans and 401ks. Radical shit. I know.

Apologies that my second post of the year is shrill rant, but I feel that I am surrounded by people who either dismiss the situation in its entirety (it's a hoax / overblown by the media) or people who are worried about all the wrong things (Oh no, my sales bonus, stocks, 401k, vacation plans, etc! / I better buy TP by the cubic yard).

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
When looking at total cases in China as a function of time, it is reported to have slowed significantly (d/dt near zero for both linear and log) around Feb 19. Further, when looking at active cases, the data shows that China peaked around Feb 17 at 60k active cases and is currently decreasing. This peak seemed to occur after 4 weeks. The starting point is a little vague, because the first data point is at 500 cases for PRC. Charts for other countries start the timelines at single digit case counts. Nonetheless, if the behavior of the virus is independent of culture (bad assumption, but more on that later / that's the point maybe), should all countries be expecting a plateau at the 4-6 week point?
1. they ordered total isolation of large swaths of population. Looks at the pictures of cities with boarded up streets
2. they built 15 hospitals on the fly to deal with the 20% of patients needing ventilators and IC

Unless the US manages to accomplish a similar feat, I see little chance that our final numbers will look as good as that of China.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
1. they ordered total isolation of large swaths of population. Looks at the pictures of cities with boarded up streets
2. they built 15 hospitals on the fly to deal with the 20% of patients needing ventilators and IC

Unless the US manages to accomplish a similar feat, I see little chance that our final numbers will look as good as that of China.
This. The former group of people mentioned by @chuffer (overblown/deniers/hoax) will probably be instrumental in making the numbers worse.