Quantcast

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I must admit I'm a little confused about what to do. Next week is March break. We booked a 5-day stay at Jay Peak way back in July last year. We'd be staying in a condo and doing outdoor things (i.e. not congregating in large groups). It's a drive for us, Jay Peak is about an hour from the border as far as I can tell.

I think our deposit (50%) is non-refundable, and we'd incur a 25% penalty on the remainder if we do cancel.

I don't want to cancel our trip. Not only for the financial loss, but also because the kids have been looking forward to it for quite a while, and no one is sick, or has been in contact with a sick person, or people who have traveled.

So far, no one is saying don't travel, but they are saying "isolate socially". I think our vacation amounts to social isolation...
@slyfink - Jay Peak is closing tomorrow for the season...

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I can't leave the house without another bottle of bourbon/rye coming home with me.
This. The former group of people mentioned by @chuffer (overblown/deniers/hoax) will probably be instrumental in making the numbers worse.
Those are the assholes still jumping on planes due to 'cheap flights'.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I can't leave the house without another bottle of bourbon/rye coming home with me.

Those are the assholes still jumping on planes due to 'cheap flights'.
but my flight is in september.....trying to keep squeeb employed....no matter how much he hates it...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
This. The former group of people mentioned by @chuffer (overblown/deniers/hoax) will probably be instrumental in making the numbers worse.
In b4 they use the national guard and the army because they reacted too late.

btw. I wonder what this will do to support of public healthcare in US

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Girlfriend came home from work today with 24 rolls of toilet paper and a pack of paper towels. I asked her why she got them and her response was literally "I don't know...".

Damnit. :tinfoil:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
In b4 they use the national guard and the army because they reacted too late.

btw. I wonder what this will do to support of public healthcare in US
Nat'l guard has been deployed in NY for a week, albeit a localized area that's been locked down.

Shizzon

Monkey
Jun 25, 2015
Gifting this to my 30 YO brother with chronic asthma who ends up in the hospital multiple times a year for pneumonia/breathing treatments.

P95 organic vapor and N95:
7EDFA51A-7DC1-4DE8-A026-E3DF9C27B43B.jpeg

My GF works at the local hospital (X-ray/CT imaging) and will be back to work Tuesday unless she gets called in sooner. This was supposed to be a nice 4 day weekend in Bend with the family and now it’s looking like a staycation with furniture building and some solo local trail ripping on the ride.

The latest policy update she read to me was that they will be reserving N95 masks for critical roles and/or procedures only. Imaging will only be supplied “drip masks” for personal protection during examinations/scans. We will be isolating ourselves from family and staying home/limiting our outings as much as possible since her chances of exposure may be high.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Fucking Asshole Trump

By Josh Zumbrun and Anthony DeBarros
Updated March 13, 2020 4:52 pm ET

WASHINGTON—In an about-face, U.S. trade officials removed tariffs on dozens of medical items imported from China amid the coronavirus crisis—including some protective gowns, exam gloves, patient bags, surgical drapes and medical waste disposal bags.

U.S. trade officials had previously ruled that these items couldn’t get exemptions.

The move comes even as the Trump administration has resisted calls to provide broad tariff relief during the spreading coronavirus pandemic. Despite the reversals, many medical items remain under tariff.

Executives from the medical supply industry had testified to the U.S. Trade Representative in a series of public hearings that such items could be essential during a disease epidemic.

The majority of the tariff reversals cover items with a direct medical use. But the USTR also reversed previous denials on more general items such as plastic food bags, trash bags and dog waste litter bags.

“We are grateful that the administration granted these important healthcare exclusion requests,” Medline Industries Inc. of Northfield, Ill., said in a statement. The company had 13 of its previously denied requests for exclusions reversed by the USTR.

In a statement, the U.S. Trade Representative said its decision was “based on factors set out in the Federal Register and takes into account advice from advisory committees and public comments on the pertinent exclusion requests.”

“As it has throughout the exclusion process, the U.S. Trade Representative will continue to issue decisions on pending requests on a periodic basis,” said the statement from Jeff Emerson, a USTR spokesman.

The global spread of the novel coronavirus is affecting many aspects of daily life and soon, that could include what's in your medicine cabinet. WSJ’s Charley Grant explains. Photo: Getty Images
The Journal reported last week that the USTR was granting tariff exemptions for face masks and other products hit by the most recent tranche of tariffs.

The new exemptions, granted Thursday, are for items that were part of an earlier round of tariffs. Many of the companies that manufacture such devices submitted requests to the USTR last summer and fall, requesting relief from the tariffs for medical items. The USTR denied most of their requests within about a month.

Even with about 60 of those decisions now reversed, tariffs remain on many medical items, including high-tech equipment and components to systems such as ultrasound machines, patient monitors, X-ray devices, defibrillators and electro cardiograms.

The reversals “effectively acknowledged that trade wars can endanger public health [but] covered only a handful of urgently needed products,” said Chad Bown, a senior fellow and trade policy expert at the Peterson Institute for International Economics.

An analysis from Mr. Bown, published on Friday, calculated that the Trump administration’s tariffs originally applied to about $5 billion of medical goods imported from China. Data on how much trade was covered by the exclusions granted on Thursday wasn’t immediately available.

“Now that there are potential supply shortages globally, the U.S. health crisis demands that the administration comprehensively and permanently reverse these policies of self-harm,” Mr. Bown said.

Continuing to maintain tariffs on medical supplies during a global pandemic is a poorly timed use of the trade powers, according to industry executives.

“Obviously this is nuts,” said Ken Rogoff, a professor of public policy and economics at Harvard University, and a former chief economist at the International Monetary Fund.

“This just isn’t the moment because we have the coronavirus, which cuts off world communication and trade more than any tariff is going to do,” said Mr. Rogoff. “The last thing on earth we need to do is add frictions to that.”

Tariffs on medical supplies right now are “a pressure. It’s a delicate balance and when you increase pressure it’s a risk to the health-care supply chain,” said Khatereh Calleja, the president of the Healthcare Supply Chain Association, in an interview on Thursday. “We would continue to encourage a review of the lit to make sure we’re not adding undue pressure.”

The USTR also issued exclusions for 11 items under the $120 billion fourth tranche of tariffs. Those included absorbent puppy pads, safety goggles and lens-cleaning wipes.

—Chad Day contributed to this article.

Write to Josh Zumbrun at Josh.Zumbrun@wsj.com

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Girlfriend came home from work today with 24 rolls of toilet paper and a pack of paper towels. I asked her why she got them and her response was literally "I don't know...".

Damnit. :tinfoil:
when the tp runs out....quarter each paper towel sheet....