Quantcast

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
"And Jesus said to them, fuck thy neighbors. Get yours and care only about thyself".
I don’t think there was anything done by my friend or by me that was terrible, but it’s a highlight of how silly *some* aspects of the mask rules and behaviors can be. I see people out walking on residential streets solo with a mask. It seems silly. It also seems silly to wear a mask into a restaurant or bar, take it off and spend time talking closely with others, and then mask up on the walk out. The mask is ceremonial at that point. It’s like wearing a condom for foreplay, taking it off to screw, then placing it back on after you finish.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
It also seems silly to wear a mask into a restaurant or bar, take it off and spend time talking closely with others, and then mask up on the walk out. The mask is ceremonial at that point. It’s like wearing a condom for foreplay, taking it off to screw, then placing it back on after you finish.
Not sure I agree. If the virus is airborne and transmissible via droplets, then wearing a mask while walking around indoors at a restaurant/bar reduces the incidence of you spreading droplets between tables. I agree, it feels weird to not wear your mask at the table, and then put it on to go take a leak, or to get to the door to have a smoke (or vape or whatever people do these days...), but I'm ok with it. I mean, it's not like it hurts or anything?

Re wearing them outside, I too found it weird until recently when I realized it's easier to keep the damn thing on than take it off, put it on, take it off, put it on, take it off, put it on, take it off when moving between stores. Especially in places where wearing a tuque and mitts is necessary. I was just at the bank and thought I'd pop into the pharmacy to buy pain killers, look in the coffee shop if they had grinders, look in the jewelry shop for a present for my wife etc etc etc... constantly fucking with my mask is a pain in the ass with my tuque and gloves on, and probably not great to be handling it and stuffing back in my pockets either.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Someone needs to tell The Atlantic editorial staff that pieces like this;

Are only necessary because they continue to publish and facilitate people like this fucking guy:

(Not JBP, obviously)

Not sure I agree. If the virus is airborne and transmissible via droplets, then wearing a mask while walking around indoors at a restaurant/bar reduces the incidence of you spreading droplets between tables. I agree, it feels weird to not wear your mask at the table, and then put it on to go take a leak, or to get to the door to have a smoke (or vape or whatever people do these days...), but I'm ok with it. I mean, it's not like it hurts or anything?

Re wearing them outside, I too found it weird until recently when I realized it's easier to keep the damn thing on than take it off, put it on, take it off, put it on, take it off, put it on, take it off when moving between stores. Especially in places where wearing a tuque and mitts is necessary. I was just at the bank and thought I'd pop into the pharmacy to buy pain killers, look in the coffee shop if they had grinders, look in the jewelry shop for a present for my wife etc etc etc... constantly fucking with my mask is a pain in the ass with my tuque and gloves on, and probably not great to be handling it and stuffing back in my pockets either.
There's a health aspect - wearing a mask helps me and others around me to some degree.

I don't tend to wear one outside, but i would if I was in a high density environment - Manhattan would come to mind.

There's a social aspect - wearing a mask is a sign of respect to others, including employees who may be required to wear them.

I encounter unmasked people - at one level I want to tell them to don a fucking mask, but I don't because I don't think it'd help.

I wish they made a mask with a defogger for my glasses.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
There's a health aspect - wearing a mask helps me and others around me to some degree.

I don't tend to wear one outside, but i would if I was in a high density environment - Manhattan would come to mind.

There's a social aspect - wearing a mask is a sign of respect to others, including employees who may be required to wear them.

I encounter unmasked people - at one level I want to tell them to don a fucking mask, but I don't because I don't think it'd help.

I wish they made a mask with a defogger for my glasses.
Here in the South TrumpLand I wear my mask not only because it's the right thing to do, but also because it makes the maskless assholes angry.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210

Verily there are many variables.
For restaurants, it does matter how big and/or crowded the place is. My anecdote took place in a small, empty restaurant. I don’t fully describe all the aspects, but I’d bet most RM folks here would’ve seen the situation as silly. Clearly other situations are less silly. It isn’t universal.

I do understand the headache of masking on/off repeatedly and just leaving it on as a convenient option. I’d say the neighborhood dog walkers here probably go out the door and return without going into other venues. It seems silly to mask up for a few minutes out on the relatively empty sidewalks. That said, I’ve had a few encounters where multiple people intersect at the same spot, like waiting at a corner to cross. At those times it certainly feels better to have a mask on, even outside.

It’s definitely a mixed bag of experiences. I’d certainly lean towards caution when possible. That doesn’t mean I haven’t found myself in situations where I question how beneficial a mask really is for that particular scenario.

As someone who used to spend a fair amount of time engaging in a hobby involving blood and open wounds, preventative measures are things I favor when dealing with transmissible pathogens.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Verily there are many variables.
For restaurants, it does matter how big and/or crowded the place is. My anecdote took place in a small, empty restaurant. I don’t fully describe all the aspects, but I’d bet most RM folks here would’ve seen the situation as silly. Clearly other situations are less silly. It isn’t universal.

I do understand the headache of masking on/off repeatedly and just leaving it on as a convenient option. I’d say the neighborhood dog walkers here probably go out the door and return without going into other venues. It seems silly to mask up for a few minutes out on the relatively empty sidewalks. That said, I’ve had a few encounters where multiple people intersect at the same spot, like waiting at a corner to cross. At those times it certainly feels better to have a mask on, even outside.

It’s definitely a mixed bag of experiences. I’d certainly lean towards caution when possible. That doesn’t mean I haven’t found myself in situations where I question how beneficial a mask really is for that particular scenario.

As someone who used to spend a fair amount of time engaging in a hobby involving blood and open wounds, preventative measures are things I favor when dealing with transmissible pathogens.
A while back you asked me about wearing a mask while hiking and I said I thought it was necessary when encountering other trail users. Forgot to clarify one important difference from the trails here and where you are. We have trees and very thick vegetation in the form of Rhododendron and Mountain Laurel. This is where air can get trapped. Not as enclosed as an indoor setting but close enough. If I cannot find a place to pull over to let others pass then I pull out the mask.

Some would argue that this might be a bit excessive. However if you have ever noticed how a giant vape cloud will linger and travel, then it's pretty easy to see why I do this.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
In more inappropriate boasting about Aotearoa, we just passed 90% of eligible population vaxxed. Our major cities; Auckland (Tāmaki Makaurau) and Wellington (Pōneke) are at 95 and 94% respectively. We are apparently gonna start vaccinating 5–12yr olds early next year now.

In less good news, cuntface Steve Bannon’s media company are targeting us with all sorts of conspiracy BS. Can you sort him out please?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
In more inappropriate boasting about Aotearoa, we just passed 90% of eligible population vaxxed. Our major cities; Auckland (Tāmaki Makaurau) and Wellington (Pōneke) are at 95 and 94% respectively. We are apparently gonna start vaccinating 5–12yr olds early next year now.

In less good news, cuntface Steve Bannon’s media company are targeting us with all sorts of conspiracy BS. Can you sort him out please?
We'll send him to you, you have a bunch of really tall cliffs. I think you can figure out the rest.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006

I think I need to move. Do y'all need a new Lord of the Rings ? Technically, since I'm Southern it's sometimes pronounced "Rangz", but we can work around that. Where do I apply for the position ?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
fuck fuck fuck, fuck fuck fuck fuck.

co-worker's got the rona. She sits next to me. We wear masks, but I sometimes take mine off at my desk. I am fully vaccinated with moderna, but over 6 months ago :( Was just contacted as part of contact-tracing. I probably don't need to freak out, but I'm gonna freak out.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
fun fact: my old metal band's singer Joel has been the touring guitarist in Whitesnake for like 7-8 years now (and trans siberian orchestra, and night ranger, and cher, and ...)
/cool story bro
Wait,Night Ranger,please tell me more. They were down the street from me close. That is impressive. I too have hairspray in the garage.
Avy

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
fuck fuck fuck, fuck fuck fuck fuck.

co-worker's got the rona. She sits next to me. We wear masks, but I sometimes take mine off at my desk. I am fully vaccinated with moderna, but over 6 months ago :( Was just contacted as part of contact-tracing. I probably don't need to freak out, but I'm gonna freak out.
1. You probably won't get it.
2. You are more than likely going to live if you do get it.