Quantcast

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
That ship has long sailed. It would have been effective in January but not now anymore. You need to quarantine the hotspots and not waste time at the border.
Just watched a podcast by Sam Harris where he was talking about about this with some expert.
Youre right about closing them right away being more effective. And it should not be a priority but it appearently does slow the virus down substantially which really helps keep the pressure of medical infrastructure. That seems to be one of the most urgent and challenging problems were facing right now.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
No time is wasted there, military handles the few ports of entry just fine. Citizens are allowed in, tracked and put in quarantine. People are discouraged to travel abroad. Foreigners are turned around.
I agree, discouraging people to travel is a good thing. However, in European countries there are not just a couple of ports of entry, there are hundreds of small roads between countries and even more fire roads. So if someone wants to cross the border they will most likely find a way.
What bothers me is that it is always presented as if it is the foreigners that bring the virus in. Here in Denmark the most likely sources are citizens returning from ski holidays in Italy. They now are still allowed to enter the country and yes, they get self quaratined at home. But they do not get separated from their families, so will infect them and so on.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Just watched a podcast by Sam Harris where he was talking about about this with some expert.
Youre right about closing them right away being more effective. And it should not be a priority but it appearently does slow the virus down substantially which really helps keep the pressure of medical infrastructure. That seems to be one of the most urgent and challenging problems were facing right now.
Slowing down the spreading of the virus only works if the people collaborate. Even some of my colleagues who were super afraid to get it at work from one Chinese colleague that returned in mid January (and is symptoms free since then) have (maybe 'had' by now) no problem going to a restaurant or hosting small parties at home. Common sense is obviously not common and this crisis is allowing all the closet nationalists and racist to come out. At least I now know who they are.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
I finally convinced my college kid to *not* go to Canada for Spring Break...
You should tell him to go get some before they close Bridger.

I haven't hit my "pay off the pass" quota yet so was contemplating manana but am on the fence... tho I generally avoid spending $ / eating inside.

1584228266517.png

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Wife is getting worried about her job lasting more than a couple of weeks of this - it's primarily sports and entertainment based. She's the big earner who keeps us in bikes and other toys.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Wife is getting worried about her job lasting more than a couple of weeks of this - it's primarily sports and entertainment based. She's the big earner who keeps us in bikes and other toys.
What size bike(s) does she ride -- asking for a friend ;)

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
The governor declared a state of emergency and has ordered all gatherings over 100 people to be postponed, and all schools are now closed. It's all over the news how to slow the spread by "social distancing". Work was super slow with very little foot traffic which I expected. But right now, there are the normal amount of folks out for a Saturday night. I guess they think their massive walls of toilet paper and cheese will ward of the evil spirts. Seriously what the fuck is wrong with people ?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
From now on I'll be limiting my contact with the mouth breathers to picking up food and supplies. Need to minimize contact as to reduce chance of infecting my parents who are in their 80s. And it is a head ringing experience trying to emphasize the severity and risk this poses to my Trump lovin' Dad. Keeping him away from others is going to be a challenge. I fear all it will take is one infected dumbass to ring the doorbell and my dad will go talk to whoever it is.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Alterra just followed Vail’s lead. Shit’s all closing down tonight.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Just heard there is a case in Teton valley.
this is getting very real.
I'm contemplating hiding out in Island Park ID pop 300 and not [m]any world travelers down there...

How long until interstate / intra-state travel is banned?

State and local officials released further information Saturday regarding the four presumptively positive cases of novel coronavirus in Montana, including that two of the cases were contracted in Washington state and two were contracted internationally.

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Vail just closed all North American resorts.
fuck, they are all gonna come here.
From Alterra (Ikon):
After careful thought and deliberation of our duty in the face of the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak, and in what I believe is in the best interest of our guests, employees and local communities, Alterra Mountain Company will suspend operations at our 15 North American ski resorts, starting the morning of Sunday, March 15, until further notice. All lift operations, food and beverage, retail and rental services will be closed until further notice.

Alterra Mountain Company destinations are Steamboat and Winter Park in Colorado; Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows, Mammoth Mountain, June Mountain and Big Bear Mountain Resort in California; Stratton and Sugarbush Resort in Vermont; Snowshoe in West Virginia; Tremblant in Quebec, Blue Mountain in Ontario; Crystal Mountain in Washington; Deer Valley Resort and Solitude Mountain Resort in Utah; and CMH Heli-Skiing & Summer Adventures in British Columbia. (CMH Heli-Skiing & Summer Adventures will continue to operate through Tuesday, March 17.)

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
90F11C19-E62F-4613-8B0C-000E0CE42EB8.jpeg

New CO testing guidelines. Note no testing for symptomatic but not high risk gen pop. Rationing.