Quantcast

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I was a little bummed that our friend’s annual Festivus celebration was called off today…but also relieved. But I think that my two days a week at the ski shop will get me exposed regardless.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I was a little bummed that our friend’s annual Festivus celebration was called off today…but also relieved. But I think that my two days a week at the ski shop will get me exposed regardless.
It is pretty shitty that masks, while they help you, are far more effective at helping others. Selfish cunts.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My signifcant domestic partner was giving me a hard time because I refused to go to a friends house for a dinner tomorrow night. Because I know for a fact none of the people that would be there have been living as if there's a pandemic going on. 4 of them now have covid, including our host's daughter.

trust no one
Trying to avoid Christmas and new years at a good friends. Not because they aren't taking the pandemic seriously but as much as I love those guys I can't stand their friends and family.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
My signifcant domestic partner was giving me a hard time because I refused to go to a friends house for a dinner tomorrow night. Because I know for a fact none of the people that would be there have been living as if there's a pandemic going on. 4 of them now have covid, including our host's daughter.

trust no one
Approach everyone as if they are a self-centered, walking, death trap and should be avoided until proven otherwise.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Newest Covid numbers for Denmark from today. Not sure if the number of people currently in the hospital with Covid is trying to tell us something? :think: :D

Covid.jpg

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Newest Covid numbers for Denmark from today. Not sure if the number of people currently in the hospital with Covid is trying to tell us something? :think: :D

View attachment 169542
In Quebec, we've hit 24.9% positivity rate for tested people. That exclude self test positives and people who don't want to wait two hours to get tested.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
In Quebec, we've hit 24.9% positivity rate for tested people. That exclude self test positives and people who don't want to wait two hours to get tested.
My wife's best friend caught COVID (from her 22 year old son who had been to a party - but that's a different story). She knew he had it, because she has all the symptoms. She also did chemo this summer and her white blood cell count is still low, so she can't really take risks. The first three rapid tests she did came back negative.

Turns out she was following the instructions the Quebec government included in the box, which was to swirl the swab five times in the opening of the nostrils. It wasn't until she followed the manufacturers instructions, which call for a deeper insertion and pressing the nostrils against the swab that she got the positive result.

In my opinion, those tests seem to be very dependent on administering them properly. I'm certain there's a whole bunch of people out in the wild that think they got a negative test result, but in reality are positive. Which is a very dangerous situation. It's almost like they may have done more harm than good?

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
My wife's best friend caught COVID (from her 22 year old son who had been to a party - but that's a different story). She knew he had it, because she has all the symptoms. She also did chemo this summer and her white blood cell count is still low, so she can't really take risks. The first three rapid tests she did came back negative.

Turns out she was following the instructions the Quebec government included in the box, which was to swirl the swab five times in the opening of the nostrils. It wasn't until she followed the manufacturers instructions, which call for a deeper insertion and pressing the nostrils against the swab that she got the positive result.

In my opinion, those tests seem to be very dependent on administering them properly. I'm certain there's a whole bunch of people out in the wild that think they got a negative test result, but in reality are positive. Which is a very dangerous situation. It's almost like they may have done more harm than good?
exactly. no one in there right mind will go deep enough in their nose by themselves. A friend tested twice neg with auto test and got a positive with pcr.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
exactly. no one in there right mind will go deep enough in their nose by themselves. A friend tested twice neg with auto test and got a positive with pcr.
Can only speak for myself, but we all did it prior to a Christmas gathering. Followed the directions which differ from the brain scratching pcr tests I’ve had earlier. Insert until resistance, about 1”, do both nostrils. Felt minor discomfort. In fact, the 3 pcr tests I’ve had over the last 2 yrs all differed in the depth and duration. Fwiw.

Sure would like to know what is behavior is driving the surge in quebec.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Only the first one or two tests I ever got were the deep-brain-swab. Everything else has been a few swipes in the lower nostrils.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Home in CT and positivity rate has a 50% increase from the weekend - was 9-10%. Since the AM News its changed to 14.98%

Seems the Governor - Ned Lamont - he's trying what's the best approach to having CT's 3.5M+ residents keep active and continue extending courtesy to others, yesterday announcing free at-home test kits. What that does though is remove data entry since there's no oversight.
Indicated there's no impending mask-mandate as of last-night. Seeing status-quo now changing its tune in a day, really hoping my Nutmeg State can power through this.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
We're running about 30% positivity at my hospital group. Still lots of sick people with COVID in the hospitals, although not clear if these are lingering Delta cases. Next few weeks will tell how many get truly ill with Omicron now that that's ripping through people.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Cases up 5 fold here in the past two weeks or so, and those are pre-christmas numbers just getting reported. Hospitalizations only up a few percent.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Only the first one or two tests I ever got were the deep-brain-swab. Everything else has been a few swipes in the lower nostrils.
Assuming you're referring to PCR tests?

As far as I know, PCR tests now do a few swirls on the back of the tongue, a few in each cheek, and a few at the opening of the nostrils.

The rapid tests we have here appear to require deeper insertion into each nostril, followed by a pinching of the nostrils during the swirl. No mouth swabs.

FWIW, we did the rapid test on my son which came out positive. He had no symptoms so we were stunned. So we followed up with a PCR test that came back negative. I have a neighbour who is now texting other neighbours saying he trusts the rapid test results more, and thinks there was a lab mix-up which led to the negative PCR. He also told all our neighbours about our original positive test. He generally a good guy, but I feel he's a little out of control... he's entitled to his opinions, but I feel like he's crossing over into gossip territory... I graduated high-school 30 years ago FFS.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Assuming you're referring to PCR tests?

As far as I know, PCR tests now do a few swirls on the back of the tongue, a few in each cheek, and a few at the opening of the nostrils.

The rapid tests we have here appear to require deeper insertion into each nostril, followed by a pinching of the nostrils during the swirl. No mouth swabs.

FWIW, we did the rapid test on my son which came out positive. He had no symptoms so we were stunned. So we followed up with a PCR test that came back negative. I have a neighbour who is now texting other neighbours saying he trusts the rapid test results more, and thinks there was a lab mix-up which led to the negative PCR. He also told all our neighbours about our original positive test. He generally a good guy, but I feel he's a little out of control... he's entitled to his opinions, but I feel like he's crossing over into gossip territory... I graduated high-school 30 years ago FFS.
There are literally studies of the efficacy of these various tests. We know very well how accurate each type is. He doesn’t get to have ‘an opinion’ about how good they are without actually being a science denying idiot. Seriously, this is isn’t hard.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle

I've had 4 flavors of PCR test, the deep brain probe, a deep brain probe where they shove the probe down your throat first, a light swirly in the nostril holding the swab myself, and saliva. All 4 types still seem to be in use around here.

The saliva has thus far been the most pleasant, allegedly as long as it's a PCR test they're all about the same, provided they're administered correctly. I trust myself to spit in a tube more than jam something up my nose.

Forgot all about getting the boosification Christmas eve. Total let-down, felt literally nothing the next day and had to go to Christmas and had a way-too-sticky band-aid stuck to my arm hair. At least Moderna put my brother in bed for 36 hours so I get to talk shit to him about it, which he definitely deserves since he weaseled out of Christmas with the parents, a small consolation.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
The day arrived. I´ve got COVID!
My stupid wife´s boss called for a Xmas Dinner/get together.... and the motherfucker was unknowingly positive. Said dinner resulted in a spreader event in her office.

My wife got fever all weekend, and spent a couple days in bed all day... I had some mild headaches. We both got testeed yesterday and results are in. Both positive.
We are quarentining until sunday, then un-avoidable errands for a week with a mask (we always wore them, regardless) per CDC.

I have 2 pfizer shots, a booster last week.
My wife had 2 sinopharm shots. No pfizer boosters for her yet (she was procrastinating on it)

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
My boss at the ski shop just tested positive. We are horribly understaffed, and he is the glue that holds it together. I normally only work about 15 hours a week, I imagine I’ll help pull the cart for seven days this week.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My boss at the ski shop just tested positive. We are horribly understaffed, and he is the glue that holds it together. I normally only work about 15 hours a week, I imagine I’ll help pull the cart for seven days this week.

I'm sure he didn't expose anyone else, so just keep trucking along like BAU.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
The day arrived. I´ve got COVID!
My stupid wife´s boss called for a Xmas Dinner/get together.... and the motherfucker was unknowingly positive. Said dinner resulted in a spreader event in her office.

My wife got fever all weekend, and spent a couple days in bed all day... I had some mild headaches. We both got testeed yesterday and results are in. Both positive.
We are quarentining until sunday, then un-avoidable errands for a week with a mask (we always wore them, regardless) per CDC.

I have 2 pfizer shots, a booster last week.
My wife had 2 sinopharm shots. No pfizer boosters for her yet (she was procrastinating on it)
Sorry to hear, all the best to you and your wife!