Quantcast

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Full asshole.
I just don't get it. I am in close contact with the folks I am always in touch with. Those that were too busy to even keep a basic level of contact the whole time, well, you made that decision a while ago, so please stick with it.
I read somewhere a person has about 20 people and about 10-20 places in its immediate memory/enviroment, and most acquaintances known for over 8 years are usually acquaintances for life.
Even if you wanted to, your memory/time just cant handle more than that. Your mind will "delete" contacts to make room for new ones if necessary. I remember this, because Im mostly in agreement.

But you need at least 100 people to get things done. The higher in food chain, the more you actually need.
Bullshit small talk and occasional gifts/calls/greetings keep the line open.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Anybody else hate the term or maybe more accurately the misnomer "Social Distancing"?

That is not what we need or should want.
We need Social Closeness, but Physical Distancing.

Stay home and pick up the phone, text or skype
I for one can always use more Social D.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
As far as Social Distancing, I just continue to avoid the other humans. Only now I have a legal obligation to be a dick about it.
I ran into a riding acquaintance at the top of of my climb. He offered a fist bump and was surprised when I refused.

Scary stuff when the smart people around choose to be dumb.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
This is VERY interesting.
Supposedly a loss of smell/taste is possibly an early indicator that you might be infected.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/h...ell-taste.html
Huh... Glad everything is starting to smell and taste off in addition to being fatigued, sore, and out of breath from walking up the stairs or picking up small child. On a side note, I just coughed up a semi-bloody, solid, mucous rock about 3mm in diameter. I wonder if these things are related?

We're assuming that Wifey and I both have it at this point and will talk with our Dr about possibly getting tests. Hannah is staying home with us for the next 2 weeks, which is going to be fucking great. Good thing we don't have any work to do.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Huh... Glad everything is starting to smell and taste off in addition to being fatigued, sore, and out of breath from walking up the stairs or picking up small child. On a side note, I just coughed up a semi-bloody, solid, mucous rock about 3mm in diameter. I wonder if these things are related?

We're assuming that Wifey and I both have it at this point and will talk with our Dr about possibly getting tests. Hannah is staying home with us for the next 2 weeks, which is going to be fucking great. Good thing we don't have any work to do.
Take care and drink lots of fluids. Hopefully you make it through just fine.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Take care and drink lots of fluids. Hopefully you make it through just fine.
Thanks. I'm not concerned about us, but guarantee I'll be bitching. (@6thElement why you no complain when you have the penultimate chance?) I'm still very concerned about MIL though and just found out my parents (Fox/Trump'ers) are still socializing "but a few feet apart".

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
When you're forced to hangout with you're family and you've exhausted the internet but aren't ready to tackle the garage, a walk seems good.
Although I have this feeling people are going to walk away from this whole event even more anti-social than they were before. Unless of course there are widespread deaths and people are really happy to see people and want to spend time with them again... But I thing the former.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Ultimately every death is cardiovascular or respiratory failure. Reporting it as those isn’t useful.

As I understand it a lot of deaths come from secondary infections, bacteria feasting on dead lung tissue and an exhausted immune system.

What are the odd if hospitals are overwhelmed that treatment of secondary infections releases a secondary pandemic of antibiotic resistant pneumonia?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I texted out to about 20 people last night, good to catch up.

A bunch of my old buddies had a beer chugging face time conference call. They caught me on the top of a mountain covered with snow on my bike. I wish I could have mounted my phone so they could have watched the show on my way down.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am

Best to you and yours.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Thanks. I'm not concerned about us, but guarantee I'll be bitching. (@6thElement why you no complain when you have the penultimate chance?) I'm still very concerned about MIL though and just found out my parents (Fox/Trump'ers) are still socializing "but a few feet apart".
Getting out of breath doing nothing sucks.

I'm 11 days in with my symptoms. Even if not CV19 I do not want to catch it while I've already got a respiratory issue.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
# of cases in my county is up ~40% in the last 2 days.
Cases don't matter until testing is ubiquitous. From the preliminary Washington and Colorado data I have seen there's about 10% prevalence at this point in the population. This is not enough for herd immunity at this point, needless to say.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Cases don't matter until testing is ubiquitous. From the preliminary Washington and Colorado data I have seen there's about 10% prevalence at this point in the population. This is not enough for herd immunity at this point, needless to say.
i get that there's a latency between the # of tested & confirmed cases and the actual # of cases out there.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Pretty sure this is about as useful as consulting WebMD, but shitposting it here anyway. You know what'd be useful? Widespread fucking testing.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Pretty sure this is about as useful as consulting WebMD, but shitposting it here anyway. You know what'd be useful? Widespread fucking testing.

If you ask Siri it'll give you a similar checklist, I believe (without clicking that link to verify)

C19check dot com? I think not.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Thank god. I've got all these bats and Pangolins and no place to put them any more.
I’m gonna live trap all the squirrels around here, so my crazy neighbor STOPS FUCKING FEEDING THEM. Question: should they be in the cages above or below the bats and pangolins?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I’m gonna live trap all the squirrels around here, so my crazy neighbor STOPS FUCKING FEEDING THEM. Question: should they be in the cages above or below the bats and pangolins?
Just make sure to have the pigs at the bottom so the new COV-20 can easily transition into whatever is left of mankind.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So Germany's mortality rate thus far has been on the order of 0.4%. Given that they actually test (albeit not to SKorea levels) this is probably closer to reality.

I sure hope the model-makers take their data into account: higher background minimally symptomatic prevalence thus higher R0, but also lower mortality than initially feared via low-quality data with sampling bias.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So Germany's mortality rate thus far has been on the order of 0.4%. Given that they actually test (albeit not to SKorea levels) this is probably closer to reality.

I sure hope the model-makers take their data into account: higher background minimally symptomatic prevalence thus higher R0, but also lower mortality than initially feared via low-quality data with sampling bias.

Germans, like the Finnish, generally operate on very generous personal space. Just my completely uninformed, bullshit theory.