Quantcast

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Which is why pensions are fucking amazing... And LOOK! Most of developed Europe has them, unlike us.

On a side note, if the companies that Boomers have all their money invested in go boom and the companies that they all get their pensions from go boom does that mean they become dependent on the younger generations to support them? The younger generations that they told to sit and spin? All while they are dropping like flies because the refuse to listen to anybody telling them what's actually good for them?

I know realistically that's not what's going to happen, but god damn, that would be fucking hilarious. In a very, very dark way.
Do you know what percentage of the stock market is made up of 401k or similar retirement plans?

If we didn’t have 401k plans, the market would be that much smaller. You’d move the risk from the individuals portfolio to the individuals employer. If the market/portfolio tanks, it can come back. If an employer shuts their doors, then where does that leave a retired person?

I get that the 401k is better in some situations and a pension is better in others. I can also see how the shift from pensions to 401k plans has altered the dependency on the market’ performance and values.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
So I'm cross posting from the random picture thread... Just wondering how people are washing/disinfecting their deliveries and groceries? I have been using isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle (for cleaning after brake bleeds and suspension work). But my supply is running low,and it's proving difficult to replenish it in the current context...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
So I'm cross posting from the random picture thread... Just wondering how people are washing/disinfecting their deliveries and groceries? I have been using isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle (for cleaning after brake bleeds and suspension work). But my supply is running low,and it's proving difficult to replenish it in the current context...
bags from store never make it into the house.

there is a small health food/vegan type shop where i got cleaning stuff for the parents....less traffic than the normal food stores...

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Most of the food we have was purchased prior to the outbreak taking hold. Deliveries get unboxed in the garage, boxes never come in the house. Get your hands on a bottle of bleach and a chemical resistant spray bottle. Half cup bleach to a gallon of water. A gallon of bleach goes a long way, at the ratio I mentioned it'll make 32 gallons of disinfectant spray.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Denatured alcohol

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
so you would have been alright with trump shutting the country down in january....because you know....we trust his judgement so much?

The country didn't need shutting down in January. The country needed an adult to take things seriously, expedite tests, stockpile and distribute supplies, warn the public something serious was out there, screen travelers, have a plan on how to handle patients when they got sick. Had all that been done the country may not have needed to be put on lock down. The other thing one must consider is summer is our friend, summer weather itself will will help reduce transmission rates. So anything that could delay the impact would have paid off. What we got was someone who ignored facts and data so it wouldn't hurt today's stock market.

Last edited:

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
What are the odds that Trump's strategy is to say everything needs to stay open. Let governor's make the adult decisions. Blame them for any economic results and take credit if we don't end up with mass graves?
The Trump guy wants to go back to "normal business" and have everyone go back to work asap right? Maybe it's because he doesn't want unemployment rate to be at an all time low when the next election comes around. But this is at the price of the American peoples lives. Something to think about.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The Trump guy wants to go back to "normal business" and have everyone go back to work asap right? Maybe it's because he doesn't want unemployment rate to be at an all time low when the next election comes around. But this is at the price of the American peoples lives. Something to think about.

This is only about the election for him, and he sees the stock market as his bellwether.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Masks essentially work the same as group immunity right now.
Not everyone wearing a mask is stopping the spread on an individual level, but if everybody wears one fewer people are gonna get infected.

Im fucking amazed how many people dont understand this concept.

Or maybe Im not amazed idk...

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Damn......

Shit just got real.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Curious about this. Hey @Toshi, do these homemade masks actually protect oneself against this thing? Or is their proliferation more of a something is better than nothing approach?
People got quite creative there. Multi-layered, some recommend vacuum bags as filters inside the masks. I'd say it protects more others from you than the other way around, and the peer pressure to wear one is tremendous. You cannot walk outside without one now, government orders.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Repurposing snorkel masks.
Even if the efficiency is limited, they help slow down the infection, and they made people aware and work on solutions. No effing coronavirus parties there or waiting for someone to save you like in the land of the free.

1585139143373.png

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
no one is *forcing* them to stay open. they're just not being forced to close.

my state closed the liquor stores (which are state run).
Easier to clean, but yeah, stuff lives longer on plastic than metal surfaces. Copper and silver do a nice job of killing shit.
It'd surprise me if they were cleaning the plastic. I thought maybe they'd be changing the plastic a few times a day, but nope, the same plastic sheet has been taped on the elevators and the elevator call buttons since they put it up. As expected, peoples nails and whatnot have scratched holes in it too.

Maybe this is just a rant on the shitty condo management (its a brand new set of four 20 story buildings)... They've put up covid19 information papers in common areas, but they are way outdated, so the information on them is wrong and not what the government is saying you should do.

The "security"/concierge people are useless as well (probably stemming from the mentioned shitty management). They are making people come to the lobby if you have something delivered. That just seems ass backwards to me. Hopefully no one is infected in the buildings, because it'll for sure spread to everyone in there if they are.

Only 3 more days until we're moving out of there...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Also first day of the provinces order that non-essential business will be closed. Their list was vast, so as expected not much has actually changed out there... Construction crews still working, public transit still going - I mention this because the construction isn't for repairs but for new builds and saw transit buses doubled up today on the same route, one being an express bus. Each bus had two people on it. :banghead:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Oh wait. Moneys.
This is why I suspect my work is still open - not directly us, but because we are a tier 1 supplier for GM who has ties to the DoD and are therefor considered essential services. I guess it could be also related to service parts needed for emergency vehicles too.

Last edited: