Quantcast

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Not even thai harem pants?
Not sure about religious pants, my religion does not believe in the wearing of pants, so I'm unaffected by the new restrictions on pant procurement.

Dumbass resigned a couple minutes ago but still plans to host his service. I guess giving your congregation an opportunity to eat a corona-cookie ended up being more important than being mayor.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'm not going to share precise numbers from my institution. Given this intentional slight obfuscation:

It is possible we have added more ICU beds--we've combined all teams into Surge ICU 1-4, it appears. But the point is this is getting real, quickly.
My surgery is through @Toshi 's institution. The woman who called to tell me that it was cancelled is an OR nurse who makes scheduling calls in her in-between time. She said that she's been moved to pick up load from normal ICU since elective has been cancelled and you could hear the tension in her voice. She also said that a large number of people have been very rude and not understanding about why their surgeries have been cancelled. You could also hear some relaxation in her voice when I told her I understood and knew that it was going to be cancelled because of what Toshi told me weeks ago.

I asked if I could send her and her team some wine and I think it might have been the first time she laughed in weeks...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Thankfully at my (not owned by private equity!) institution:

Having experienced an excellent revenue stream while exercising fiscal prudence for many years, radiology has built a solid financial reserve, which should it be necessary, could support our current budget (faculty, fellow, resident, and staff salaries plus operating costs) for at least a year. This is not the case around the country, some academic institutions have already begun to lay off people from all of the aforementioned categories.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Sounds like you guys are just charging WAY too much for radiology if you have that much of a surplus.
Rather we get paid less than those in private practice in normal years, in exchange for stability in a storm.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 8.49.55 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 8.52.33 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 8.51.46 AM.png

Above are the IHME's model prediction for NY deaths as of March 26, its prediction as of April 6, and the running reported total via the NYTimes. There are questions about the validity of the reported deaths (valid reasons to be over- and under-estimated).

Point here is that that model may have been way off the mark regarding hospital bed usage (haven't confirmed this myself) but deaths as reported given the above caveats are actually tracking fairly well, at least in NY.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
A spinoff question, assuming NY and the other states turn the corner as predicted at similar times per the model, is of what drove that.

They all didn't lock down to Wuhan levels. Is it due to some innate features of COVID that the curve is as observed (such as widespread asymptomatic infection)?

We need serology data.