Quantcast

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
look on the bright side. The human hoard has fucked over the planets resources. we need a good culling
It mostly kills old people, old people who are done breeding, the hoard shall survive! The young-ins will survive and fuck our way out of this problem the way we've fucked our way out of every mass die off yet.

point of reference, the spanish flu had an estimated mortality rate of 2-3%.
2-3% mortality rate with 1918 medicine, vs 2% mortality rate with modern medicine, one is more worrisome than the other. Like SARS or MERS, it's got the potential to kill a whole lot of people, but the sciency folk will probably figure out a way to stop it long before it actually kills us all, and then we'll all just blame the media for "over-hyping" it and go back to cutting funding for anything science or medical related.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
That's for the ability of N95 masks to seal. Since N95 mask supply will run out anyway it doesn't matter.
I know, we're already having hard time finding them for work.
Real respirator fit tests don't allow any facial hair.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
2-3% mortality rate with 1918 medicine, vs 2% mortality rate with modern medicine, one is more worrisome than the other. Like SARS or MERS, it's got the potential to kill a whole lot of people, but the sciency folk will probably figure out a way to stop it long before it actually kills us all, and then we'll all just blame the media for "over-hyping" it and go back to cutting funding for anything science or medical related.
1582822526729.png

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I know, we're already having hard time finding them for work.
Real respirator fit tests don't allow any facial hair.
Yup. Back at UW as a surgery intern, when I only had stubble, I still failed that N95 fit test. Had to have the space helmet powered respirator thing when going into isolation rooms.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
It mostly kills old people, old people who are done breeding, the hoard shall survive! The young-ins will survive and fuck our way out of this problem the way we've fucked our way out of every mass die off yet.

:stupid:

IIRC, one of the most devastating parts of the Spanish flu was it killed those 20 - 40 years old at much higher rates than the rest of the population, which is inverse to your typical pandemic.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Let’s see, adding Corona Virus to the potential ailments I’ll be exposed to while thru hiking this year, such as Lyme Disease, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Norovirus, Giardia, and wth any luck some stds. Shaping up to be a Hell of a Summer.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Let’s see, adding Corona Virus to the potential ailments I’ll be exposed to while thru hiking this year, such as Lyme Disease, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Norovirus, Giardia, and wth any luck some stds. Shaping up to be a Hell of a Summer.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
That's for the ability of N95 masks to seal. Since N95 mask supply will run out anyway it doesn't matter.
I got one for working in MIL's dust-filled condo a few weeks ago and they were very hard to find. Only the super expensive ones were available and there were signs all over that purchases were limited to 4 per individual.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
lots of people around here talking about how "nice" this winter has been because it hasn't gotten super cold. My response is always "hope you like ticks"

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
lots of people around here talking about how "nice" this winter has been because it hasn't gotten super cold. My response is always "hope you like ticks"
NC doesn't really have a bad problem with tick born illnesses. Plenty of the little bastards to go around for sure though. Saw this map by the CDC indicating Lyme Disease locations. Holly Shit, when I get out of NC/ I'm going to bath in Permitherin or whatever it's called.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
NC doesn't really have a bad problem with tick born illnesses. Plenty of the little bastards to go around for sure though. Saw this map by the CDC indicating Lyme Disease locations. Holly Shit, when I get out of NC/ I'm going to bath in Permitherin or whatever it's called.

more like the Tickalation Trail

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

i live in the solid blue part. :panic:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

seems right-i used to get a ton in charlottesville, which is in the very blue part of VA; not really any down here in cackalacka

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
But brietbart says it's all a Democrat conspiracy. Expect Brian to be defending Coronavirus down in PaWN tomorrow.

Also "wHeRE iS ScHiFF hIdINg tHe WhiStlE BloWeR?"

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Because people are panicky lemmings, or because this disease is actually bad?

If borne out by further testing, this could mean that current estimates of a roughly 1% fatality rate are accurate. This would make Covid-19 about 10 times more deadly than seasonal flu, which is estimated to kill between 290,000 and 650,000 people a year globally.
It's the mortality rate that matters here.