Quantcast

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Because people are panicky lemmings, or because this disease is actually bad?
two things...
1) 20x to 30x the mortality rate of the flu is pretty bad. That's if you believe the data coming from outside the US.
2) the shear volume of lying and distraction going on here so far is pretty alarming.

People ARE panicky lemmings to an extent, but the "what if" should give everyone some pause.

ok three things
I came home from Sacramento last night and woke up sick with a cold. Shitty timing for such a coincidence.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Denmark on the list now too - finally. I felt left out. I'm still not seeing prices on flights dropping as I had hoped for so I can get a cheap ticket to Miami in April #pandemicpricingnow

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Because people are panicky lemmings, or because this disease is actually bad?
It has the potential to be that bad, but likely won't be because countries are taking it seriously and implementing measures to slow it's spread. Then, once it's over, people will be pissed that they took those measures since the mega outbreak never came to pass, not comprehending that the mega outbreak was stopped by those exact measures.

There's also a difference between taking precautions and panicking, a bit of both are definitely

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Denmark on the list now too - finally. I felt left out. I'm still not seeing prices on flights dropping as I had hoped for so I can get a cheap ticket to Miami in April #pandemicpricingnow
If you don't test you won't find anything. 64 test as of yesterday, one positive. At work we have a couple of people that had been in China or had visitors for Chinese New Year's that they celebrated together with. Afterwards one colleague attending the party had a bad cold that did not get better for 2-3 weeks, but his doctor didn't test him although he clearly communicated his concerns to him. Now this cold is going around. :eek: :(

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
:stupid:

I've yet to be convinced coronavirus is anything more than hype. Wash your hands, take standard precautions. :rolleyes:
Maybe, but I don’t think this is a drill this time. While I am certainly no economist, or even a good business man for that matter, I do pay attention to the precious metals market. And have been doing so for decades. When the stock market drops, then as expected, precious metals increase in price. Today, after the Dow dropped again, metals dropped off quite sharply. I have never seen that happen before. Tis a bit concerning.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Maybe, but I don’t think this is a drill this time. While I am certainly no economist, or even a good business man for that matter, I do pay attention to the precious metals market. And have been doing so for decades. When the stock market drops, then as expected, precious metals increase in price. Today, after the Dow dropped again, metals dropped off quite sharply. I have never seen that happen before. Tis a bit concerning.
Well. That's an interesting take.

What say you @stoney?

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Everyone's getting slammed so hard they have to sell their what-if rainy-day reserves to cover margins.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Everyone's getting slammed so hard they have to sell their what-if rainy-day reserves to cover margins.
People who buy gold, etc. generally do such as cover for a market going down and/or inflation. It's not liquid and you wouldn't use it to cover margin. People who are short right now are making a killing and having no margin issues.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
That "germ-gel" class of substances has proven to be notably ineffective...
Thru hikers on the AT talk about that. Some, more experienced hikers, recommend washing your hands with Dr. Bronners soap after pooping instead of just using hand sanitizer. Every year a bad case of Norovirus breaks out along the trail. It's caused by too many dirty, poopy hands.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Second case of non-travel-related spread of coronavirus confirmed in California.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop

As someone who works in this field every day, that is one of the most annoying cracks in the system. If the man who wrote that article made $12,500 annually, I could get him incredible coverage for under $20 a month. $250 deductible, $10 copay, $10 drugs, with a $700 maximum out of pocket for the whole year Etc.... But if that same person makes under that amount, medicaid will deny him and his option is to pay full price which is impossible at that income. So, many common sense improvements could easily be made on Obamacare if you simply had a congress that was working together to benefit the people they represent.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If the man who wrote that article made $12,500 annually, I could get him incredible coverage for under $20 a month. $250 deductible, $10 copay, $10 drugs, with a $700 maximum out of pocket for the whole year Etc.... But if that same person makes under that amount, medicaid will deny him
Medicaid denies for under that?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Medicaid denies for under that?
When Obamacare was designed, they left it up to the states to expand Medicaid or not. Our assbackward state of course did not. In my state, Medicaid only takes children and pregnant women. Truthfully, it works really well for lower income working people, but if you make too little or none at all and fall in the crack, you get screwed.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'll take my chances with coronavirus before I listen to a fucking second of whatever absolute bile Mike Huckabee is spewing. Fuck that fascist clown AND his cunt of a daughter.
It's worth violating your ground rule. :D