Quantcast

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
If we had a less stoopid government, they'd be making gas station attendant jobs mandatory nationwide right now. More sanitary, reduces contact, and literally creates jobs.
Minus how you'll pay for it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So one of the tracking sites lists the number of tests administered, passed and failed. It would seem only the positive tests are be listed on the trackers, so people like MikeD and Stoney aren't even being counted, which is probably the majority of cases.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
So one of the tracking sites lists the number of tests administered, passed and failed. It would seem only the positive tests are be listed on the trackers, so people like MikeD and Stoney aren't even being counted, which is probably the majority of cases.
I've read somewhere that the ratio of tested positive vs "infected" was 10 to 1

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Linky?

Also, what is "passed"

Like "good job, you passed, hope you can breathe in a week"
or
"good job, you passed, go to the beach and catch it now"

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If we had a less stoopid government, they'd be making gas station attendant jobs mandatory nationwide right now. More sanitary, reduces contact, and literally creates jobs.
While I agree in theory, the job is typically done by some sketchy folks. While I have not had anyone put diesel in my car yet, I have had more than a few gallons of regular. Not a huge deal, but you had ONE JOB, and you failed.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
While I agree in theory, the job is typically done by some sketchy folks. While I have not had anyone put diesel in my car yet, I have had more than a few gallons of regular. Not a huge deal, but you had ONE JOB, and you failed.
"regular" as an insult?
oooh, look at the fancy turbo on jimmy

Yes, I've been to rural oregon and seen the sores.

hint: the rest of country is more functional

We just gave oregon meth heads 1200 bucks, which do you think would be more productive here?

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
"regular" as an insult?
oooh, look at the fancy turbo on jimmy

Yes, I've been to rural oregon and seen the sores.

hint: the rest of country is more functional
My car takes premium, it's what I asked for. I know, it's tough with 3 grades to choose from. I only go to Chevron (Shell in a pinch). The same Chevron, on average once a week.

If you spill some on my car, I don't care. As long as it's the appropriate grade.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
My car takes premium, it's what I asked for. I know, it's tough with 3 grades to choose from. I only go to Chevron (Shell in a pinch). The same Chevron, on average once a week.

If you spill some on my car, I don't care. As long as it's the appropriate grade.
I was thinking more in terms of: recently lose your job? Can you tell the difference between yellow, red and green? Then step right up, we'll help you pay your bills for the next two months!

What can I say. I'm a job creator.

and to avoid your situation, I still pump my own gas in oregon 'by accident'

When your californian they let you do it. I've got an expired plate I can mail you if you want.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
As soon as you start coughing, post a few pics a day of what comes out.

We might as well make a competition between you and @stoney

Not like I'm going to cease my voyeuristic tendencies or anything.
I'm back to normal sick now. No more blood or weird brown shit. I do challenge given how much better I feel within even 18 hours of taking the first dose of antibiotics for pneumonia, some shit might have been going on... Even if early on that process.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
And cost the oil companies pulling the government puppet strings a few extra dollars in this day of decreasing consumption and oil prices.
It’s a win win.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Is that a joke? You may be sick but I'm still an asshole so I'm going to point out that we literally just pissed 2 trillion dollars into the wind and you're concerned about a 15 dollar an hour job that is literally just a replacement for someone who worked in a restaurant last week?
No. From a sanitary standpoint. I still have to give you cash or my CC, no?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
No. From a sanitary standpoint. I still have to give you cash or my CC, no?
Customer can stick the card in the machine, newly created woojob just works the pump handle. (just for you @rideit)

I'm back to normal sick now. No more blood or weird brown shit. I do challenge given how much better I feel within even 18 hours of taking the first dose of antibiotics for pneumonia, some shit might have been going on... Even if early on that process.
Glad to hear it. For real though, be prepared, lots of reports of feeling better then jumping into the pits of hell with this stuff. I hope you're done.

But if not, I definitely want pics of lung butter to compare to the limey version.

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Customer can stick the card in the machine, newly created woojob just works the pump handle. (just for you @rideit)
And push the buttons for the zip code? what is the likelihood that the gas station clerk is really going to wipe or spray the device after every swipe?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I was thinking more in terms of: recently lose your job? Can you tell the difference between yellow, red and green? Then step right up, we'll help you pay your bills for the next two months!

What can I say. I'm a job creator.

and to avoid your situation, I still pump my own gas in oregon 'by accident'

When your californian they let you do it. I've got an expired plate I can mail you if you want.
As a former Californian, I grew up pumping my own gas and if you have diesel or a bike, you can also (the bike I get, not sure on the diesel).

And like I said, I agree with it in concept. The Chevron in Scappoose has this nice old dude who does it. He can't wash windows for shit, but he seems to be enjoying himself at least.

I would tip if they washed windows and checked oil like they did in full service days.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Is that a joke? You may be sick but I'm still an asshole so I'm going to point out that we literally just pissed 2 trillion dollars into the wind and you're concerned about a 15 dollar an hour job that is literally just a replacement for someone who worked in a restaurant last week?

But if those gas pumpers don't donate to the Trump campaign or publicly declare what an awesome job he is doing, it ain't gonna happen.

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
And push the buttons for the zip code? what is the likelihood that the gas station clerk is really going to wipe or spray the device after every swipe?
that Is just part of the reason I bought 1000 nitrile gloves just for me. I wear them pumping gas and buying groceries I handle nothing in public places without wearing gloves
IMG_20200328_195347457~2.jpg

Last edited:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
that Is just part of the reason I bought 1000 nitrile gloves just for me. I wear them pumping gas and buying groceries I handle nothing in public places without wearing glovesView attachment 142689
My hook crew canceled our last two events just before the “shelter in place” order because we thought it wouldn’t be safe, or fair to burn all the disposables we need. We saw the price of masks and gloves going up back then.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
that Is just part of the reason I bought 1000 nitrile gloves just for me. I wear them pumping gas and buying groceries I handle nothing in public places without wearing glovesView attachment 142689
I got a few boxes for me and Wifey while I was at Costco a while back. They had untouched pallets of gloves, but no Lysol. Another guy who had the same thought process I did gave me a funny a look and laughed when I grabbed a few boxes and we just walked everybody run past to get Clorox.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, I don't get "gas pump attendants" in Oregon (and Jersey too, right?). Like, I'm getting out of my car to punch buttons and shit anyway, I'm RIGHT THERE, I might as well pump the damn gas. I don't want someone else touching my car. I don't trust them. It's not like zoolander gasoline celebrations are common or anything, so I fail to see what the purpose is.

I do see that it is important to give jobs to disabled people, whether it be mentally or physically, where they can do something and contribute, if possible. The Fed hires a lot of them in gov buildings and you could definitely save money by not hiring them, but again at least they are contributing that at least helps to offset the subsidized costs. I just don't see gas-station attendant as one of those jobs.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I do see that it is important to give jobs to disabled people, whether it be mentally or physically, where they can do something and contribute, if possible. The Fed hires a lot of them in gov buildings and you could definitely save money by not hiring them, but again at least they are contributing that at least helps to offset the subsidized costs. I just don't see gas-station attendant as one of those jobs.
Why not? We hired one to be President didn't we?

OH wait you said contributing in a positive way...nevermind

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Damnit, leave our gas station attendants alone. At first I hated it, but now I hate having to pump my own gas when traveling out of state.

Never ever once had a problem.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So at a crude level this is actually similar to my super-simplistic "match a logistic curve to Wuhan timeline" "model": https://twitter.com/maximumcharacte/status/1243253840389914624

The key assumption here is that the underhood features of the Chinese intervention that reduced R0 to less than 1 in Wuhan will be replicated in all US states that social distance.

I am not sure this will be true.

If this assumption does not hold to be true the observed peaks may be higher than their model.
As above I am skeptical of the assumptions underlying the IHME/Healthdata model, namely:

1) Wuhan death and time-to-peak data are accurate
2) Implementing social distancing US-style will approximate the reported Wuhan time-to-peak

The IHME model has a right-skewed distribution, therefore has more AUC after the peak than a simple logistic curve. So their prediction is a maximum US death rate of 2,341/day achieved on April 14, leading to 81,000 total.

My simple logistic "model" has no skew, and under it one would see a maximum US death rate of 5,036/day on day 14 after hitting ~500. Ignore that first entry--artifact.

Capture.PNG

Worldometers has 525 US deaths logged for yesterday, March 28, so +14 is April 11. Doubling time for the death rate still seems very close to 3 days at this point, so look to the figures around April 8 to see if it's still 3 days or if we've turned the corner.

If we shoot past 5,000/day then that's an indication that we're looking at 6 figures ultimately. The next two weeks are everything.