Quantcast

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My experience is that being "lean" and "six sigma" is like the holy grail for management and accounting, until they realize what's required to get there and stay there, then they back off and want to do just enough to call themselves lean.

There are also plenty of places that poorly manage their supply chain under the guise of being lean, only to bear the cost on the back end. Nothing like sitting on $200K in WIP while it waits for $1K worth of hardware to come in.

*Looks around for potential Black Belt mentors...*
This is one thing that constantly pisses me off, especially with those making a huge deal out of "government is too expensive, private industry can do it cheaper": Sure, you can do anything cheaper when you cut corners, don't have any accountability, screw over people, not follow rules, etc.

Time and time again, with "privatization" we are lured in by "oh, this will be cheaper", then there doesn't end up being any accountability and it ends up costing a lot more in the end. Look up Organization Designation Authority (ODA) for the FAA. The list goes on and on and it usually ends up with something either failing catastrophically because the revenue/money was never enough for the true cost of the operation, requiring way more money than planned, or having to revert back to increased oversight, because the farmed-out regulatory requirements were not followed.

Also, back in the Army, when our motto was "do more with less". We were actually told this BS by leadership and all sorts of people bought into it. It is just complete insanity when you think about it. I hate sayings like that...like "trust, but verify". Well, if you actually trusted, you woudn't have to verify. The fact that you have to verify inherently means you don't trust. Don't sit here and tell me the sky is green.

Back to the cost-cutting though, lots of **** is real expensive. You want to control costs, sure, but some of this is why business is hard. Not everyone gets to make it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Speaking of supply chain management, you folks who are no longer pooping at work are the cause of the great TP shortage of 2020...

TLDR: consumer TP scm =|= corporate TP scm

To be clear, currently, I deliberately drive to my office once a day just to take a shit, stink up the place and then leave.

It's been a dream of mine for years. Long before this nonsense.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I was actually thinking that most hospitals are running 'lean' operations. I think I have seen lean concepts ruin more companies than I can count. And then I see Toyota, who everyone is trying to copy and aren't even close to the lean levels everyone else is trying to achieve.
I was groomed by Toyota. Am complete believer in the magic of TPS, but I see Lean/TPS as more of a phillosophical framework rather than a cookbook, as I think most non-toyota guys see it.

It requires a specific corporate culture behind, and specific skills in the people behind, skills usually honed thru years of growth/experience within the company.

You cant do lean, without respect for people (in the broadest of senses), which is one of the 5 "commandments" of Toyota.
If there is no Andon in place available (no trust) to everybody in the chain... you will go to shit.
If you dont have middle/upper managers with significant floor experience and you have a revolving door at HR, you cant really do Genchi Gembutsu effectively.

You need to go way, way back and up the chain to implement this kinds of "improvements".
I´ve seen FCA latin-america try to introduce "lean" (they poached a toyota guy). It failed miserably... and the whole company and upper management did not understand what it was really about.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Both Britain and the U.S. fucked up their health systems over time. Britain by squeezing funding, the U.S. by legalizing health "care" for profit.
The problem is worldwide.
Expecting the medical community (profit, public whatever) to hold inventory for something like this seems unrealistic.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I was groomed by Toyota. Am complete believer in the magic of TPS, but I see Lean/TPS as more of a phillosophical framework rather than a cookbook, as I think most non-toyota guys see it.

It requires a specific corporate culture behind, and specific skills in the people behind, skills usually honed thru years of growth/experience within the company.

You cant do lean, without respect for people (in the broadest of senses), which is one of the 5 "commandments" of Toyota.
If there is no Andon in place available (no trust) to everybody in the chain... you will go to shit.
If you dont have middle/upper managers with significant floor experience and you have a revolving door at HR, you cant really do Genchi Gembutsu effectively.

You need to go way, way back and up the chain to implement this kinds of "improvements".
I´ve seen FCA latin-america try to introduce "lean" (they poached a toyota guy). It failed miserably... and the whole company and upper management did not understand what it was really about.
get me a hilux!

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Have you seen the fucking military airplanes we build?

Something that directly keeps people alive is a hell of a lot more relevant to stock pile.
What do you stockpile? Everything?
Respirators stacked in an Indiana Jones warehouse would be useless in a blood shortage.
When I see countries across the globe with the same problem I don't think our (it is kinda awesome) air force is relevent.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
To be clear, currently, I deliberately drive to my office once a day just to take a shit, stink up the place and then leave.

It's been a dream of mine for years. Long before this nonsense.
i would skip a class in highschool to drive 15 minutes home and take a home turf shit.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
What do you stockpile? Everything?
Respirators stacked in an Indiana Jones warehouse would be useless in a blood shortage.
When I see countries across the globe with the same problem I don't think our (it is kinda awesome) air force is relevent.
You know what you also see if you bother to look?

Countless countries handling this way better than the US, Spain, and italy.

We have the most money in the world. And we did stockpile things specifically for this problem. Then budgets were cut, contracts expired, task teams were fired, and we mailed a shit ton of it to china. Quit reading facebook posts in all caps and look around a little bit.

VTApe

Monkey
Feb 5, 2005
Vermont
Britain has supply chain issues with the NHS too.
What's a reasonable supply when it comes to preparedness for a unique, global event?
I think it's reasonable to have a sufficient stockpile of PPE and medical devices to deal with an issue like this in the richest country in the world. What that number is, I don't know, but various potential scenarios mated production output/lead time and weighted by population risk & density could at least narrow that number down to an acceptable stock level to cover gaps in resupply. I also think its reasonable to require hospitals to carry a set number weeks forward coverage of PPE to again hedge on any resupply risks should we see a major disruption in supply as we do now.

This is not a unique event; we've had other pandemics to learn from and the previous administration spent resources in putting together plans and techniques for dealing with this, which trump threw out because the black guy. I hope this administration is held accountable for how badly they've handled this.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
You know what you also see if you bother to look?

Countless countries handling this way better than the US, Spain, and italy.

We have the most money in the world. And we did stockpile things specifically for this problem. Then budgets were cut, contracts expired, task teams were fired, and we mailed a shit ton of it to china. Quit reading facebook posts in all caps and look around a little bit.

I particularly like phoning Thailand and asking can they help with supplies and the Thai's telling the US - but a shipment of supplies from you is due to arrive here to help us any day now...

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Those bags burning arent trash. Its insane whats going on there.

There are a lot of videos doing rounds on whatsapp, which is the most used social network here.
fkna. at the end they just dumped a casket in that neighborhood, a ghetto im guessing, and left?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
But I'm american! I work tirelessly for unobtanium based solely on better consumption than my neighbor. Its value is strictly determined by the fact that I can't get it.
I saw a new Hilux with US government plates parked at a trailhead in the middle of fuckin' nowhere heading out to ski a month or so ago. :tinfoil:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
This is not a unique event; we've had other pandemics to learn from and the previous administration spent resources in putting together plans and techniques for dealing with this, which trump threw out because the black guy. I hope this administration is held accountable for how badly they've handled this.
Sounds like Obama also sat on his hands.

To satisfy demand in the case of emergencies like the coronavirus pandemic, the federal government in 1999 established the Strategic National Stockpile, a last-resort cache of drugs and supplies intended to be tapped only in moments of crisis.
But the national stockpile was significantly depleted during the H1N1 influenza outbreak of 2009, when 85 million N95 respirators were distributed from the cache and was never significantly replenished despite repeated warnings and requests from health care and industry groups.

Regarding quantity, from WaPo article:

In a normal year, the U.S. health care system uses about 25 million medical N95s, according to Premier Inc., an organization that helps hospitals purchase supplies. Many of the masks are disposable and meant to be used once.
HHS has estimated that the United States could need as many as 3.5 billion N95 masks during a pandemic.

Also, from WaPo article.
Perfect is the enemy of good once again.
Can't be letting corporations be exempt from litigation.
Would love to see the politicians that fought against liability waivers in the guise of consumer protection.

During the 2006 avian flu outbreak, six companies wrote in a letter to then-President George W. Bush that without legislation, “the ability for American manufacturers to address emergency preparedness or have surge production capacity is and will be severely constrained.”

Opponents of such a measure have said such a blanket protection could leave the U.S. government — and by extension, American taxpayers — on the hook if health care workers file lawsuits after becoming sick while wearing industrial masks distributed during a pandemic.

The trial lawyers lobbying organization, the American Association for Justice, has spent years working with consumer advocates and others to block attempts by 3M and other manufacturers to secure waivers from lawsuits, officials there said, adding that court actions have historically been an important check on unsafe equipment.