Quantcast

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
But in all seriousness, this is usually a slow moving bureaucratic hell hole, but it took 24 hours for my sister to receive that money after completing the application.
In comparison, even the largest banks had no idea how the US Paycheck Protection Protection would be implemented when applications began yesterday.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
when i was last in california i visited a friend i had not seen since highschool.....in two of his kitchen cabinets were about 20-25 different mason jars....labeled....from the farm he worked on...

every morning when he woke up he would be like...steve... you mind if i take a rip....why the fuck would i....you are the one who is sick....smoke as much as you want....
who cares about weed, I want some of JBP's peyote!

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
That's because their fucking lobbyists were briefing them on what they 'really' got into the bill.
My bank is saying the issue is liability. The ability to defraud the program, due to its loose and fast qualifications, has them seeking protections.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
You post a lot of good stuff, but would you mind copy pasting for us who dont have a sub with the Washington Post?

i cant seem to get around their paywall anymore and copy pasting the article isnt much more work than copy pasting the link.

Please :D
Sign up for pocket, right click, save to pocket and read it there. You can use it either in a browser or through an app.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
You post a lot of good stuff, but would you mind copy pasting for us who dont have a sub with the Washington Post?

i cant seem to get around their paywall anymore and copy pasting the article isnt much more work than copy pasting the link.

If you’ve got an iPhone you can usually get around it in Safari’s private browsing (assuming this works on desktop too). Also “reader view” often helps block the pop ups that obscure pages.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

In Private browsing doesn't work for you?

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Does that work with Bloomberg, Forbes, and WSJ?
I doubt it, it used to work a charm with websites that gave you a certain quota of free articles. I think WSJ gives you none?

And it does look like it doesn’t work with the WP like it used to.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

I shall see if this will work:

CoronavirusLive updatesU.S. mapWorld mapFAQsHow to helpFlattening the curveNewsletter
Investigations
The U.S. was beset by denial and dysfunction as the coronavirus raged
From the Oval Office to the CDC, political and institutional failures cascaded through the system and opportunities to mitigate the pandemic were lost.

By Yasmeen Abutaleb, Josh Dawsey, Ellen Nakashima and Greg Miller
APRIL 4, 2020
By the time Donald Trump proclaimed himself a wartime president — and the coronavirus the enemy — the United States was already on course to see more of its people die than in the wars of Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq combined.
The country has adopted an array of wartime measures never employed collectively in U.S. history — banning incoming travelers from two continents, bringing commerce to a near-halt, enlisting industry to make emergency medical gear, and confining 230 million Americans to their homes in a desperate bid to survive an attack by an unseen adversary.
Despite these and other extreme steps, the United States will likely go down as the country that was supposedly best prepared to fight a pandemic but ended up catastrophically overmatched by the novel coronavirus, sustaining heavier casualties than any other nation.
It did not have to happen this way. Though not perfectly prepared, the United States had more expertise, resources, plans and epidemiological experience than dozens of countries that ultimately fared far better in fending off the virus.
The failure has echoes of the period leading up to 9/11: Warnings were sounded, including at the highest levels of government, but the president was deaf to them until the enemy had already struck.

The Trump administration received its first formal notification of the outbreak of the coronavirus in China on Jan. 3. Within days, U.S. spy agencies were signaling the seriousness of the threat to Trump by including a warning about the coronavirus — the first of many — in the President’s Daily Brief.
And yet, it took 70 days from that initial notification for Trump to treat the coronavirus not as a distant threat or harmless flu strain well under control, but as a lethal force that had outflanked America’s defenses and was poised to kill tens of thousands of citizens. That more-than-two-month stretch now stands as critical time that was squandered.
33 times Trump downplayed the coronavirus

What went wrong with coronavirus testing in the U.S. | The Fact Checker

Trump on his 'natural ability' for medical science: 'I really get it'

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Thanks, but I downloaded the app and when I save the article there I still hit the paywall...
For some reason this "investigation" is treated differently from regular articles and links straight to the WP website, even in the Pocket app. I just checked, and Pocket still works like normal for all their regular articles. Just make sure you turn off the page preview if you are using iOS. Can't help you with this one unfortunately as I refreshed the page too often and can no longer view it either.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
It kind of is.

Remington offered manufacturing space to an industry operating at capacity.
How hard would it be for 3M to set up production there?

Other companies have already utilized their tooling/staff.

View attachment 143073
Now czech this out, crowdsourcing of ventilators because beats people dying.

No it's actually not. Certain processes and equipment can be retrofit while others can't. So asking if their facility is capable of manufacturing what they're offering is absolutely a relevant question.
Are you being defensive because job background?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
We ain't got time for preparedness nonsense, we gots to harness the sun!

'After learning that the state's stockpile of medical equipment had 16,000 fewer ventilators than New Yorkers would need in a severe pandemic, Gov. Andrew Cuomo came to a fork in the road in 2015. He could have chosen to buy more ventilators. Instead, he asked his health commissioner, Howard Zucker to assemble a task force and draft rules for rationing the ventilators they already had.

That task force came up with rules that will be imposed when ventilators run short. Patients assigned a red code will have the highest access, and other patients will be assigned green, yellow or blue (the worst) depending on a "triage officer's" decision. In truth, a death officer. Let's not sugarcoat it. It won't be up to your own doctor.

Cuomo could have purchased the additional 16,000 needed ventilators for $36,000 apiece or a total of $576 million in 2015. It's a lot of money but less than the $750 million he threw away on a boondoggle "Buffalo Billion" solar panel factory. When it comes to state budget priorities, spending half a percent of the budget on ventilators is a no brainer.'

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
If you are on a desktop then you can enable the web developer tools or features on some browsers. This will allow you to disable JavaScript which is what makes the subscription window pop up. Once JavaScript is disabled, reload the page then turn JavaScript back on. You might not get all the images, but the text is readable.

If you are on a desktop then you can enable the web developer tools or features on some browsers. This will allow you to disable JavaScript which is what makes the subscription window pop up. Once JavaScript is disabled, reload the page then turn JavaScript back on. You might not get all the images, but the text is readable.
Or just delete the cookies.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Now czech this out, crowdsourcing of ventilators because beats people dying.
Cool. Given its footprint I wonder if that's just a CPAP or BiPAP machine, as were those initially sourced by Tesla and donated to NY State.

Those have their role, but are not "ventilators" in the sense of being intubated, sedated, and ventilated. (Furthermore without filtration/"masking" of the exhaust gases they may seed the whole ICU.)