Quantcast

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
And here in Seattle solo hikers walking up desolate fire roads wear masks.
I have yet to encounter anyone else wearing a mask on trail in this wee slice of North Cackalacky. Perhaps folks are a little more considerate in Pisgah. In general I found hikers I encountered on the AT in Grayson Highlands last Fall were far more friendly and polite than "hikers" I run into at the local spot.

So want to head back up to Grayson Highlands but am still very hesitant about going anywhere during this.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
@AngryMetalsmith - we've been out hiking and biking a decent amount. and honestly, we're not wearing em. and neither are most others. if we do happen to encounter people, most just give an extra wide berth and don't breathe towards each other as we pass. i feel comfortable with this. as for stores, etc., most all are masked wherever i've been recently, be it charlotte, northern ga, or out in the nc country (me included, of course)...

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
@AngryMetalsmith - we've been out hiking and biking a decent amount. and honestly, we're not wearing em. and neither are most others. if we do happen to encounter people, most just give an extra wide berth and don't breathe towards each other as we pass. i feel comfortable with this. as for stores, etc., most all are masked wherever i've been recently, be it charlotte, northern ga, or out in the nc country (me included, of course)...
Unfortunately the State park where I hike and ride (Thuper Awethum) is in a very backwards, ultra conservative area. Lots of Confederate flags in the county. Completely different mentality than most places in this state I'm sure. The FoodLion closest to my parents house is a freaking nightmare. At least 30% do not wear masks or respect your personal space. So I started going to a Harris Teeter closer to the studio where most wear masks.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Was riding trails solo up in ME over the weekend, and saw maybe 10-12 people hiking/walking. I think all but a couple had masks on, and at least a couple with masks made a very deliberate effort to get way off the trail when I rode by, one even turning to keep their back towards me. I could feel the hatred in their eyes as I rolled past as quickly as I could.

I'm all about keeping it safe and following social distance guidelines/recommendations, but some people out there seem batshit cray cray in that direction. Like the polar opposite of the "it's not real" crowd.

Methinks somewhere in the middle is where we should strive to be.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Was riding trails solo up in ME over the weekend, and saw maybe 10-12 people hiking/walking. I think all but a couple had masks on, and at least a couple with masks made a very deliberate effort to get way off the trail when I rode by, one even turning to keep their back towards me. I could feel the hatred in their eyes as I rolled past as quickly as I could.
You may be projecting some here...

We were out in the BOONIES backpacking this past weekend, and we masked up *and* got well off the trail any time we passed anyone. Lots of no-masks, but I have no "hatred" for their decisions in a case like this. Esp given the very low positivity rates currently 'round these parts.

Now the 4 older out-of-state dudes that were in full-camo heading up the trail to hunt given the following forecast, I just gotta shake my head. :disgust1:

1599587102256.png

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada

I'm all about keeping it safe and following social distance guidelines/recommendations, but some people out there seem batshit cray cray in that direction. Like the polar opposite of the "it's not real" crowd.

Pretty much.

On one hand you have the guy getting into a fist-fight because he was denied access to a local grocery store when he refused to mask up, then you have the lady driving on the controlled access highway in the middle of nowhere miles from any exit wearing her mask alone in her car.

Only bright spot is at least one of these people gets it, even if they take it to extremes. I would rather deal with them than the "but my rights" snowflakes.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
And you can *bet* some of these assholes are going to show up sick on Nov 3rd to their local polling station *in person* to spread the disease. Wait - I meant "exercise their rights."
Yes, but hopefully surrounded by people waring masks, distancing and not drunkenly making loud motor revving noises.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

The chances of transmission between people quietly walking past each other while outside is really small, but still possible. I would say people here do take it to the extreme, but I am happy to be surrounded by people erring on the side of caution.

I did get yelled at by a lady after I walked by her only giving her about 5' of space. She was playing on her phone in the middle of the sidewalk in front of her own house. I guess she expected me to walk into traffic rather than to inconvenience her by expecting her to step into her own yard. I suspect she was just at her wits end for having to actually spend time with her kids.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
The chances of transmission between people quietly walking past each other while outside is really small, but still possible. I would say people here do take it to the extreme, but I am happy to be surrounded by people erring on the side of caution.

I did get yelled at by a lady after I walked by her only giving her about 5' of space. She was playing on her phone in the middle of the sidewalk in front of her own house. I guess she expected me to walk into traffic rather than to inconvenience her by expecting her to step into her own yard. I suspect she was just at her wits end for having to actually spend time with her kids.
Ah, I see, you met Karen.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
High school football seems to be the latest polarizing topic. People seem to have done fine with all of the restrictions on grocery shopping, restaurants, bars, salons, doctor offices, etc, but high school football being cancelled is sending people into a fucking fit of rage. LMAO

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
High school football seems to be the latest polarizing topic. People seem to have done fine with all of the restrictions on grocery shopping, restaurants, bars, salons, doctor offices, etc, but high school football being cancelled is sending people into a fucking fit of rage. LMAO
Have you ever been to Texas, Oklahoma, etc? When your small town has nothing of value and you only see positivity in HS football.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Sandy Hook was the point of no return.

A couple months or so ago I read an article about 900 doctors, nurses and other medical pros that have died fighting COVID-19.
It's not like people don't care that a bunch of small children got murdered, they just think it was a deep state fake, so they don't have to care that a bunch of small children got murdered.

If reality doesn't align with your belief system, it is a lot easier to invent an alternative reality than it is to modify your beliefs.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
local friend of a friend (much younger guy in his 20s) was posting pics of pontoon boat party with like 15 dudes. a week later one of the other guys who was at the party is posting thoughts and prayers shit for one of his friends who is battling covid in the hospital. i wonder if he gets it yet. i bet not.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
local friend of a friend (much younger guy in his 20s) was posting pics of pontoon boat party with like 15 dudes. a week later one of the other guys who was at the party is posting thoughts and prayers shit for one of his friends who is battling covid in the hospital. i wonder if he gets it yet. i bet not.
Probably not.

This reminds me to once again mention that the Juggalos cancelled their annual event due to Covid-19. Yeah, Juggalos now have more common sense than an entirely too large segment of the population.