Quantcast

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Hey all,No change with the son for Turkey Day. He is Mad at the Goverment and still will not get the shot. My question to All is this. He continue’s to send me Link’s that disprove COVID if you will. Do any of you read these? Tome,it seems like going down a rabbit hole,so I do not read it. Though something tells me I should read it? “The Rubin Report”,withJordon Peterson on YouTube is the last post he sent me.
Avy
If he's critical of the science and statistics behind it, give him a list of things that save lives that he does every day with instructions on how to remove them from his life.

1. Seatbelts have show for decades to save lives. Pull a stat and then give instructions for how to remove them from his car.

2. Airbags have shown to save lives for decades. Pull a stat and then give instructions for how to remove from his car.

3. Antibiotics (even just penicillin) has proven since 1928 to save lives from even simple bacterial infections. Stop going to the doctor if he gets sick. It was discovered by a scientist, confirmed through the scientific method, and eventually approved for human consumption via the FDA. Since he doesn't believe in any of these things, he needs to prove his stance.

4. Etc.

I've done the same and continue to do the same with my Dad. He has still not agreed to get the vaccination, but will take a test and sent results before coming to visit. It sounds like you're in the "trying to reason stage" but are very rapidly working towards the "my priority will always be your mother over you" stage. I went through that about a year ago and my Dad got emotionally bitch slapped when I told him that I care about my kids more than I care about him and he needs to understand that I will ALWAYS make that decision. My Dad has made his bed and has to lay in it with only one way out of it. Your son is rapidly on that path.

And getting suckered into the rabbit hole of truly fake news, isn't hard. My Dad was a manager and lead engineer for Boeing Phantom Projects. Brainwashing can get anyone.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If he's critical of the science and statistics behind it, give him a list of things that save lives that he does every day with instructions on how to remove them from his life.

1. Seatbelts have show for decades to save lives. Pull a stat and then give instructions for how to remove them from his car.

2. Airbags have shown to save lives for decades. Pull a stat and then give instructions for how to remove from his car.

3. Antibiotics (even just penicillin) has proven since 1928 to save lives from even simple bacterial infections. Stop going to the doctor if he gets sick. It was discovered by a scientist, confirmed through the scientific method, and eventually approved for human consumption via the FDA. Since he doesn't believe in any of these things, he needs to prove his stance.

4. Etc.

I've done the same and continue to do the same with my Dad. He has still not agreed to get the vaccination, but will take a test and sent results before coming to visit. It sounds like you're in the "trying to reason stage" but are very rapidly working towards the "my priority will always be your mother over you" stage. I went through that about a year ago and my Dad got emotionally bitch slapped when I told him that I care about my kids more than I care about him and he needs to understand that I will ALWAYS make that decision. My Dad has made his bed and has to lay in it with only one way out of it. Your son is rapidly on that path.

And getting suckered into the rabbit hole of truly fake news, isn't hard. My Dad was a manager and lead engineer for Boeing Phantom Projects. Brainwashing can get anyone.
tell him if he's worried about the gov't tracking him, tell him if he has a smartphone in his pocket that they already are.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A few weeks ago I was reading that the yet to be named at that time Omicron variant could be the end of the pandemic as it was virulent but seemed to cause only mild symptoms. There probably isn't enough evidence one way or the other at this point, but hopefully that will be the case.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
A few weeks ago I was reading that the yet to be named at that time Omicron variant could be the end of the pandemic as it was virulent but seemed to cause only mild symptoms. There probably isn't enough evidence one way or the other at this point, but hopefully that will be the case.
source?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
so while you back slap each other on getting your third shots there are people waiting on their crack at their first shot in nigeria.....

good times....
Regarding Nigeria, I was speaking with family (in nigeria) and they quipped that people aren't concerned about covid there. The primary reason being, covid is like 10th on the list of the things that are making people sick/killing people atm. What is killing people? Things like hunger, poverty, malaria, etc. They also said that the average person isn't going to spend money on a mask. That period is long over. It's only the wealthy people that wear masks... and now, only the wealthy that are getting vaccinated. Amazingly, Nigeria hasn't seen the rates that some other countries in the world are seeing. It would be absolutely devastating.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I don't envy your quandary. that sucks pretty bad. any chance that some (vaccinated) members of your family would make the trip up North to be with youz guys? Montreal usually ain't a bad place to be for Christmas...

My kids were supposed to get their jab today. Then we noticed that they are turning kids away who have had their flu shot in the last 14 days. They had theirs 9 days ago so.... I rebooked to Sunday. Still gives them 2 weeks before Christmas. fingers crossed.
I think all immediate family is planning to spend the holiday at their homes... particularly after being here a lot the last year+. Would not be fun to be here solo, but we will see. Montreal is nice at christmas time if there's snow. Thankfully all US-based family are long-since vaccinated.

I think we might forgo the flu vaccine again this year. Will have to wait until January anyway at this rate.

Deciciones!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Regarding Nigeria, I was speaking with family (in nigeria) and they quipped that people aren't concerned about covid there. The primary reason being, covid is like 10th on the list of the things that are making people sick/killing people atm. What is killing people? Things like hunger, poverty, malaria, etc. They also said that the average person isn't going to spend money on a mask. That period is long over. It's only the wealthy people that wear masks... and now, only the wealthy that are getting vaccinated. Amazingly, Nigeria hasn't seen the rates that some other countries in the world are seeing. It would be absolutely devastating.

Are they not having high rates of disease or not having high rates of positive tests?

In some ways Covid is a rich man's disease. For the most part it mostly affects the elderly and those who can afford to survive other underlying health conditions. Looks like Nigeria has an average life expectancy of less than 55 years, so it really isn't going to have the same impact as a country full of aging baby boomers.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Are they not having high rates of disease or not having high rates of positive tests?
I think generally they are having limited rates of disease, but it's hard to say. Access to healthcare for many is quite limited.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
I just did a quick search and found a couple articles saying as much, but not from a "reliable" source. The most reliable one I found was on the DailyMail.uk, though I don't know that site is trustworthy. Kinda feel like it's more of a tabloid?
Daily Mail is barely a scratch above Fox. Similarly owned and editorialised by a fairly extreme right winger. Alternatively know as the Daily Heil. It’s the sort of site that also warrants cleaning your cookies after visiting. Ita terrible terrible tabloid.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Ah, as of yesterday, a friend in CO is now on a vent. I highly doubt he was vaccinated. Sucks cause he's got 2 young kids at home. Not saying I don't feel bad, but he made his decision, and I just hope things turn out for the best.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ah, as of yesterday, a friend in CO is now on a vent. I highly doubt he was vaccinated. Sucks cause he's got 2 young kids at home. Not saying I don't feel bad, but he made his decision, and I just hope things turn out for the best.
that sucks, but that's the price you pay for fREEEEEEEEEEEdumb

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
What’s up with Russel Brand’s YT videos? The dude seems to be a click seeking reaction monger. He’s unwatchable so I can’t get through the gyrations to see if he’s got anything of substance to consider. Anyone here ever try to decode his ramblings?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
What’s up with Russel Brand’s YT videos? The dude seems to be a click seeking reaction monger. He’s unwatchable so I can’t get through the gyrations to see if he’s got anything of substance to consider. Anyone here ever try to decode his ramblings?
No. That dude has occasionally been funny, but fucking hell is he mostly difficult to watch/listen to.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I know not this Russel Brand person you speak of. Me thinks that is a good thing. Currently waiting to get boosted. The bigger child has the 2nd whack today also. Get after it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
In the past 10 days or so the number of cases in South Africa have gone up 5X, deaths a bit less than 2X. I know there is typically a reported delay in deaths but so far this could be good news that Omicron isn't as sever as Delta. Time will tell.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
In the past 10 days or so the number of cases in South Africa have gone up 5X, deaths a bit less than 2X. I know there is typically a reported delay in deaths but so far this could be good news that Omicron isn't as sever as Delta. Time will tell.
I’ve heard a few doctors on the innertubes saying similar things. Perhaps Omicron won’t be as severe and might become the dominant variant pushing out the more deadly Delta. One can hope.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I’ve heard a few doctors on the innertubes saying similar things. Perhaps Omicron won’t be as severe and might become the dominant variant pushing out the more deadly Delta. One can hope.

It is possibly a good thing. I believe that is how the spanish flu pandemic ended. It didn't go away, it just became less severe.