Quantcast

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
I’m just getting over it. It’s been five days. My symptoms identical to @Jm_

Came on last Saturday like a lightswitch. Was fine one minute and sick as a dog the next.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I tested positive Tuesday July 19, was in the hospital for a few days from the next day Wednesday.

Only now almost 6 weeks later is my resting HR getting back close to normal.

Screenshot_20220828-184825.jpg

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
When I got it, I did my 10 day travel isolation, so I was stuck in TX for 10 days before I could travel again. I got the symptoms heavy on Tuesday, I remember breaking the fever on maybe Friday or Saturday, and whichever day it was, after having metallic taste lingering the next day, everything else seemed to clear up. I started working out lightly soon thereafter during my "stay", I noticed during weighed lunges I felt light-headed, but everything else was fine. I was monitoring my HR too. I eventually went out on a few rides later in the week, in the 110 degree heat, again monitoring HR to make sure it wasn't doing anything crazy and making sure I wasn't pushing myself too hard in the heat, so keeping it easy.

Everything seemed to be working ok as I ramped up my workouts, no longer felt dizzy during lunges. I figured I was good enough to do a big ride the next weekend when I got home.

So the next weekend, on Sunday, is when I rode and sliced my knee open.

I was monitoring my HR up "the climb", the climb is a nasty rooted technical affair that any time it looks like it's heading up, you should just get in the lowest gear and prepare for the worst, lots of upper 20%s grades in many places, slippery roots with tech moves, etc. It's fun as hell to bomb down, with all the roots growing into the trail you can make your own lines and boost stuff differently every time you come down it, but that day I wasn't going to go back that direction, I was going to do the DH on the other side of the trail, ride 7 miles back on the highway, then ride the Iditarod trail back to where it joins up with this rooty climb towards the beginning. That one is a total rainforest affair and just really cool to ride. Anyway, HR was normal and it was something I was monitoring for sure. I was a few min off my best time, but again, but I wasn't pushing for my best time. I was feeling pretty awesome though, because this is an absolute lung-buster all-you-can-do-to-keep-moving climb and if anything is going to push you above 160, this is. I was normal and feeling great. I was also checking for any lingering congestion, etc. Everything checked out.

I told the paramedics and ER that I had been positive in the two weeks before and my last symptoms were 7 days prior. Despite this, I was evidently still positive when they tested me at the ER clinic. I told them that I had been using the climb as my "final check" to make sure my HR wasn't doing anything weird, based on the stories I'd heard of lingering symptoms. I'm not sure if they tested me at the hospital or during surgery, but after surgery, later in the next day, they no longer had to follow the protocol stuff with them putting on the face shields, masks and all that stuff. They said it had been enough time or something for them since the positive (my first?) result. Doc told me he had gotten it 3x so far.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That's pretty stupid of them to not be masking up when around you if you were still testing positive, IMO.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I'm like 29 months since being sick and still deal with the "long covid" stuff. I'd give anything to be able to go back in time and have been vaccinated before catching it. That seems to be the big difference in how long the long symptoms stick around.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That's pretty stupid of them to not be masking up when around you if you were still testing positive, IMO.
I'm not sure if I was. I think I was at the long tail-end of just barely showing positive or something when I had the first test and was possibly tested again with a negative when I wasn't aware or something. They were all masked up and PPE-ed for several hours on the next day, then at a certain point told that wasn't required anymore. Still had to wear a mask myself when out of the room doing normal stuff while leaving.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Exactly two weeks ago, out of the blue, I got 40° Celsius fever and popped an abscess in my throat. About a week earlier I had one of my chronic sinusitis attacks. I went to the ER that Friday, and the doctor told me I caught a bacterial infection and I was lucky it didn't go all the way down to my lungs. He gave me horse grade antibiotics and sent me home. I spat pus and chunks of dead flesh for three days, and almost coughed my guts out.

Until this day I'm almost completely anosmic, except for a bloody/rotten taste I have whenever I have my mouth shut for too long.

This last Monday I went to see my personal doctor, and she told me I probably got COVID, it lowered my defenses, and the bacteria causing my sinusitis found a new home in my throat. Again, she told me I was lucky it didn't go down to my lungs.

This was my second COVID experience (the first one was back in January, in the middle of our summer) and it was completely different. Previously, I had just two days of bad cough and fever, and it went out just as suddenly it came. This last time left me with reduced oxygenation, a higher heart rate at rest, an obnoxious cough, and the damn rotten taste in my mouth. Also, I have been sleeping all 4-6 hours a night for the past 46 years, but this damn bug has me wanting to go to bed as early as possible, and sleep as much as I can.

I'm thinking of coming back to the gym on Monday (it'll be two weeks since I got it, and most people says that's a safe time to get back into training), but I know I'll have to take it slow.

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Exactly two weeks ago, out of the blue, I got 40° Celsius fever and popped an abscess in my throat. About a week earlier I had one of my chronic sinusitis attacks. I went to the ER that Friday, and the doctor told me I caught a bacterial infection and I was lucky it didn't go all the way down to my lungs. He gave me horse grade antibiotics and sent me home. I spat pus and chunks of dead flesh for three days, and almost coughed my guts out.

Until this day I'm almost completely anosmic, except for a bloody/rotten taste I have whenever I have my mouth shut for too long.

This last Monday I went to see my personal doctor, and she told me I probably got COVID, it lowered my defenses, and the bacteria causing my sinusitis found a new home in my throat. Again, she told me I was lucky it didn't go down to my lungs.

This was my second COVID experience (the first one was back in January, in the middle of our summer) and it was completely different. Previously, I had just two days of bad cough and fever, and it went out just as suddenly it came. This last time left me with reduced oxygenation, a higher heart rate at rest, an obnoxious cough, and the damn rotten taste in my mouth. Also, I have been sleeping all 4-6 hours a night for the past 46 years, but this damn bug has me wanting to go to bed as early as possible, and sleep as much as I can.

I'm thinking of coming back to the gym on Monday (it'll be two weeks since I got it, and most people says that's a safe time to get back into training), but I know I'll have to take it slow.
:bad:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Whelp, I had a good run and managed to avoid it for two full years, but it finally caught up.

View attachment 181460
I was really surprised when I got it with all the traveling I had done before. Like, it was obvious I probably got it on the train-wreck rental-car shuttle at the airport, but I had been traveling for the previous 2 years with nothing...

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

Shit man, get better soon!

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
This thread will turn into a "last man standing" has time goes by.

Still covidless and girlfriend and I are the only people who didn't get it in our group of friends.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
:wave:

Me too, though I am a WFH misanthropic hermit with no life or friends... but Murphy's Law says we're both doomed now that we've said it out loud.

Too I'm the primary caregiver for my elderly mom who has so many comorbidities that it (I) would kill her so definitely more cautious than the average bear.

Three, I look at what it did to stud athletes like 6th and I can't even imagine what a bad infection would do to an out of shape fat fuck like me...

1662213520315.png

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That’s the thing: might have affected 6th more than it’d affect you since his immune system is so tuned up, or he has some particular mutation or allele. We just don’t know so much about why particular courses vary.

I’m going to get the new bivalent booster when it’s available in a week or two. BNT/Pfizer for 12+ years old and Moderna for 18+ iirc. I’d recommend them for everyone. Pediatric ones probably available in a month or two.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
You've been feeling like ass for like a week haven't you?

Seems like those antigen tests are only good at the tail end of an infection.

Bright side is you have an excuse to continue hermitting.
Started feeling crummy Wednesday afternoon, but thought it was allergies. Pollen count was super high, the city was mowing the airport infield and that always fucks me up so I didn't think too much about it. Took over the counter tests that evening when I started feeling worse and on Thursday. They all came back negative, didn't actually pop hot until Friday evening.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
:wave:

Me too, though I am a WFH misanthropic hermit with no life or friends... but Murphy's Law says we're both doomed now that we've said it out loud.

Too I'm the primary caregiver for my elderly mom who has so many comorbidities that it (I) would kill her so definitely more cautious than the average bear.

Three, I look at what it did to stud athletes like 6th and I can't even imagine what a bad infection would do to an out of shape fat fuck like me...

View attachment 181478

Yeah, I have anxiety now over any slight chest discomfort or lightheadedness.

Living at 7500ft doesn't help the lightheadedness :/

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
There's something happening here
But what it is ain't exactly clear...

#AmericanExceptionalism

+++++

1662231296616.png

The National Vital Statistics Report , issued by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, found that in all 50 states and Washington D.C, the average life expectancy declined. The decline ranged from 0.2 years in Hawaii to three years in New York State, where the average life span fell from 80.7 to 77.7 years of age. The latest state-by-state statistics showed that the gender longevity gap, which favors women, now ranged from 3.9 years in Utah to 7 years in Washington, D.C.

According to the 50 state analysis, the "states with the lowest life expectancy at birth were mostly Southern states (Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Tennessee, and West Virginia) but also included D.C., Indiana, Missouri, New Mexico, Ohio, and Oklahoma."

"The states with the lowest life expectancies are also the states least likely to have expanded Medicaid coverage."

"The states with the greatest decreases in life expectancy at birth from 2019 to 2020 included those in the Southwest and U.S.–Mexico border area (Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas), Louisiana, Mississippi, Illinois, New York, New Jersey, and D.C.," the researchers found. "Overall, life expectancy in the United States declined by 1.8 years from 2019 to 2020, mostly due to the COVID-19 pandemic and increases in unintentional injuries (mainly drug overdose deaths)."

While the latest drop in life expectancy is the largest in decades, the U.S. has been slipping for years and in 2019, marked the third year in a row that we posted a decline. This is a significant shift from the years between 1959 and 2014, when life expectancy was consistently on the upswing. The last time the U.S. had a three year decline, was just before World War I, amid the Spanish Flu pandemic that killed 650,000 Americans.

ETA: Feature or bug, why not both:

Barnes continued: "Second, based on our pandemic study, 'A Poor People's Pandemic,' it is likely that this burden was inequitably distributed among poor and low-income communities. According to our research, poor and low-income counties experienced death rates that were twice as high as richer counties. At different phases of the pandemic, their death rates were up to 5 times higher. These counties are home to a disproportionate percentage of people of color, including 27 percent of all indigenous people, 15 percent of all Black people, 13 percent of all Hispanic people."

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There's something happening here
But what it is ain't exactly clear...

#AmericanExceptionalism

+++++

View attachment 181485

The National Vital Statistics Report , issued by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, found that in all 50 states and Washington D.C, the average life expectancy declined. The decline ranged from 0.2 years in Hawaii to three years in New York State, where the average life span fell from 80.7 to 77.7 years of age. The latest state-by-state statistics showed that the gender longevity gap, which favors women, now ranged from 3.9 years in Utah to 7 years in Washington, D.C.

According to the 50 state analysis, the "states with the lowest life expectancy at birth were mostly Southern states (Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Tennessee, and West Virginia) but also included D.C., Indiana, Missouri, New Mexico, Ohio, and Oklahoma."

"The states with the lowest life expectancies are also the states least likely to have expanded Medicaid coverage."

"The states with the greatest decreases in life expectancy at birth from 2019 to 2020 included those in the Southwest and U.S.–Mexico border area (Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas), Louisiana, Mississippi, Illinois, New York, New Jersey, and D.C.," the researchers found. "Overall, life expectancy in the United States declined by 1.8 years from 2019 to 2020, mostly due to the COVID-19 pandemic and increases in unintentional injuries (mainly drug overdose deaths)."

While the latest drop in life expectancy is the largest in decades, the U.S. has been slipping for years and in 2019, marked the third year in a row that we posted a decline. This is a significant shift from the years between 1959 and 2014, when life expectancy was consistently on the upswing. The last time the U.S. had a three year decline, was just before World War I, amid the Spanish Flu pandemic that killed 650,000 Americans.

ETA: Feature or bug, why not both:

Barnes continued: "Second, based on our pandemic study, 'A Poor People's Pandemic,' it is likely that this burden was inequitably distributed among poor and low-income communities. According to our research, poor and low-income counties experienced death rates that were twice as high as richer counties. At different phases of the pandemic, their death rates were up to 5 times higher. These counties are home to a disproportionate percentage of people of color, including 27 percent of all indigenous people, 15 percent of all Black people, 13 percent of all Hispanic people."
Now if we could plot a business life expectancy by state chart over that...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
D0A25AE0-3D89-4E5A-807E-DDB94629294B.jpeg

Getting some bivalent booster in me on Wednesday.

As I was part of the first wave vaccinated in Dec ‘20 I got my original booster way back in Aug ‘21 so this is well and due.

Also knocking the flu vaccination off the list to satisfy my employer even if it’s a few weeks early.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Well, the metallic taste I've had in my mouth for the last few days is not a new Covid positive, so there's that...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
View attachment 181539

Getting some bivalent booster in me on Wednesday.

As I was part of the first wave vaccinated in Dec ‘20 I got my original booster way back in Aug ‘21 so this is well and due.

Also knocking the flu vaccination off the list to satisfy my employer even if it’s a few weeks early.
02EE94E8-4F82-4E50-8B14-C2E474658AE3.jpeg

Last edited:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Yet another person I know went on a vacation with a cruise component, and returned with a positive Covid test. Clearly this is just a data point, but it sure seems like cruising is not the way to go if you’re Covid averse.