Quantcast

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You would be surprised to find out how quickly air is purged from an airplane cabin.

You may not be happy to find out how much of that comes from pressurization leaks.
The problem is they don't purge those people you are crammed up against. Probably my own fault, but every time I take a step forward in a line, I take a half-step backwards, just to "clear my 6"...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
The problem is they don't purge those people you are crammed up against. Probably my own fault, but every time I take a step forward in a line, I take a half-step backwards, just to "clear my 6"...
i book aisle seats and board last....literally waiting until last call...

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I haven't been on an airplane since 2017 or 2018. That was travelling for work to Canada though, so no other way to do it. From a climate perspective I think flights within Europe should be banned. There are enough fast train connections to make it work.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Bivalent update: deltoid soreness. Very mild headache. Nothing else really to report.

No new superpowers :(

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
As previously discussed, the FSM / Darwin works in mysterious ways.

Vaccine hesitancy in Red States and Counties will likely continue to exacerbate this trend...

And archived version of WashPost article for nonsubscribers

Salient grafs:

Over the course of the pandemic, more people have contracted the virus and died of it in counties that voted for Joe Biden in 2020 than in ones that voted for Donald Trump. But late last year, the toll in counties that backed Trump by more than 20 points passed the toll in counties that supported Biden by that margin.

That’s despite those strongly pro-Biden counties being home to more than 30 percent more people. If we control for population, we see that while infection rates are fairly similar regardless of party, the death toll has been far worse in counties that backed Trump. The counties in which Trump won by the widest margin have seen a cumulative population-adjusted death toll that’s 42 percent higher than counties that backed Biden by the widest margin.

In 2020, Biden-voting counties (overall) had 8 percent more deaths than Trump-voting ones, once you adjust for population. In 2021, Trump-voting counties had more than 50 percent more population-adjusted deaths. In 2022, the toll has been about 40 percent higher per resident in Trump counties.

Meanwhile in Montana:

What happened at St. Peter’s fits a broader national pattern that researchers are only beginning to understand as the virus continues to mutate and spread. Americans have died not simply from COVID-19 but also potentially from gaps in care that the pandemic caused.
One study last year found as many as 1 in 4 COVID-19 deaths early in the pandemic may have been due to strained hospital resources rather than the infection itself. One of the study’s authors, National Institutes of Health clinician and researcher Dr. Sameer S. Kadri, noted at the time it was a “truly humbling statistic.”

Related kind of sort of... Asshole who bodyslams reporter continues to be self serving asshole as Governor:

Last edited:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
I hope he's right.
He’s really not.
Worldwide figures to date, and acknowledging that many states have now given up or gone half assessed in data collection.

2B55CD26-E000-4D9F-91EE-CAF6BCAC4898.jpeg

In fact you could make a good case from the data that we’re still getting started. Hope I’m wrong. Either way clearly not over.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
He’s really not.
Worldwide figures to date, and acknowledging that many states have now given up or gone half assessed in data collection.

View attachment 182141

In fact you could make a good case from the data that we’re still getting started. Hope I’m wrong. Either way clearly not over.

Perhaps semantics but it really isn't a pandemic anymore, it is endemic. It is not going away, this is the new reality.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
currently about 500 deaths/day

seems fine

We invaded countries over less.
Extrapolating local data that would be about 75 if everyone was vaccinated, but this is a heavily vaccinated area. Probably safe to say those numbers would be even lower nationally. Death rate is 10 times higher here for the unvaccinated.

That being said, I don't want to have anything to do with that shit again and will be getting my bivalent booster very soon. Still masking up in certain situations and rather unhappy that work seems to really really want a 'crowded' workplace.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Extrapolating local data that would be about 75 if everyone was vaccinated, but this is a heavily vaccinated area. Probably safe to say those numbers would be even lower nationally. Death rate is 10 times higher here for the unvaccinated.

That being said, I don't want to have anything to do with that shit again and will be getting my bivalent booster very soon. Still masking up in certain situations and rather unhappy that work seems to really really want a 'crowded' workplace.
I haven't gone into a grocery store to shop in 2.5 years.

Every other week someone I know gets knocked on their ass, all vaccinated and boosted. Accepting this 'newnormal™' by just using the word endemic is kind of horseshit IMO. That babbling skeleton we have in the whitehouse ignoring reality doesn't help.

I'm reminded of how after the SARS catastrophe in asia masks just became a thing. I about black out when lifting heavy objects now. Like you, I don't need that compounded.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I got a second booster in June because I thought I was going to get to do something with my summer this year. But a high velocity, fury, meat bag on the highway one night screwed that all up. Shopping for a car during a pandemic was not fun, not at all.

I keep wearing my mask indoors and still have not eaten at a restaurant since this started. Ten years of dealing with one long term disease has been enough motivation for me to continue taking this shit seriously. Long Haul Covid ? Oh Hell no !

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
I finally caught the Rona this week. Got exposed at the IMTS trade show last week. Had been feeling weird, but testing negative since Friday. Tested positive yesterday. Symptoms are pretty mild so far, but fuck this. It was actually the head of our fucking company that got everyone sick. Showed up to a company dinner on Tuesday last week sniffling and coughing.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I finally caught the Rona this week. Got exposed at the IMTS trade show last week. Had been feeling weird, but testing negative since Friday. Tested positive yesterday. Symptoms are pretty mild so far, but fuck this. It was actually the head of our fucking company that got everyone sick. Showed up to a company dinner on Tuesday last week sniffling and coughing.
I have PTSD from IMTS, would rather have the 'rona again.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
I have PTSD from IMTS, would rather have the 'rona again.
I actually shouldn’t hate IMTS as much as I think I do. It’s a pretty easy two weeks for me usually - turn on my out of office response, set up a few instruments, talk to a mix of people from absolute mouth breathers to really interesting folks, disassemble and pack instruments. Compared to a typical week I have very little actual responsibility and have a great excuse to ignore my day to day tasks. There are a million other things I’d rather do, but in terms of “working,” it ain’t so bad…

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I actually shouldn’t hate IMTS as much as I think I do. It’s a pretty easy two weeks for me usually - turn on my out of office response, set up a few instruments, talk to a mix of people from absolute mouth breathers to really interesting folks, disassemble and pack instruments. Compared to a typical week I have very little actual responsibility and have a great excuse to ignore my day to day tasks. There are a million other things I’d rather do, but in terms of “working,” it ain’t so bad…
I was responsible for setting up one of those giants booths full of huge machines and robots. This was over a decade ago but imagine trying to setup a 16,000 sq ft factory in two weeks on a carpet, answer the same dumb questions for 10 days or so then packup said 16,000 sq ft factory in a week. 12+ hour days most of the time without a single day off. All while dealing with lazy surly Teamsters who will rob you blind if you blink.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
I was responsible for setting up one of those giants booths full of huge machines and robots. This was over a decade ago but imagine trying to setup a 16,000 sq ft factory in two weeks on a carpet, answer the same dumb questions for 10 days or so then packup said 16,000 sq ft factory in a week. 12+ hour days most of the time without a single day off. All while dealing with lazy surly Teamsters who will rob you blind if you blink.
Oof. Nope. Took me about 12 hours total to set up my gear - metrology equipment. House air and 110V only. Showed up at 8 and left at 5. Like I said way way easier than a normal week for me.

Talked with some Swiss kids packing up an enormous mill/turn machine that was heading to IMTS. Between breaking down the tool to send to IMTS (it was out here in Oregon), set up and break down at IMTS and then returning the machine to Oregon they were planning to be in the US for 1 1/2 months. Their per diem was something like $50. FTS.