Quantcast

COVID 29 - Trainer for my Unit

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Looks like we’re on lockdown for another month, and I don’t expect business as usual to just resume, so...

I’ve got a Kona Unit that’s from a few years back, and I’m thinking I might want to pick up a trainer for it. It’s got the sliding dropouts and QR rear hub laced to a 29er rim. Current specs suggest a 148 x 12 mm rear hub.

1. Is this worth doing or a fools errand? I can’t get cardio otherwise, and I’m a little worried about riding my bike on public streets given some recent accidents over the last 6 moths. I’ll list some concerns below.

2. What trainer and tire would be worth my while? I’m a little concerned about my ability to do the tire swap given my crippling injury from a decade ago, and resulting left hand weakness. I’ve had trouble changing tires before and I don’t want to buy a bunch of stuff and find out I physically can’t rig it up.

3. Since the bike is a single speed, I’m assuming I’ll need a new gear on the rear. This will also mean a new chain. I have concerns about being able to do this swap without help.

4. Looking around, it seems like I’d be out about $3-400 to rig this all up and get a decent trainer. Any specific suggestions for shops to consider?

Typing this all out has me thinking it’ll be more trouble than it’s worth. But I’ve typed this, so...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Single speed on a trainer would be different. Are you sure your bike is 148x12 as I don't think you'd get sliding dropouts with that.

As you don't want to deal with swapping tires you could look to get a direct drive trainer or another option is a set of rollers.

I think with your SS rollers might be the "better" option, but does the bike have a derailleur hanger at all to add gears?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I've been thinking about setting up my bike on a trainer as well.

Fluid trainers feel a whole lot smoother than magnetic ones, but usually cost more. You will probably need an old school quick release skewer to make it work though.

With all the POV footage of riding singletrack on YouTube, you could watch that while spinning away. Not nearly as fun as riding outside, but it's better than getting coughed on.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Single speed on a trainer would be different. Are you sure your bike is 148x12 as I don't think you'd get sliding dropouts with that.

As you don't want to deal with swapping tires you could look to get a direct drive trainer or another option is a set of rollers.

I think with your SS rollers might be the "better" option, but does the bike have a derailleur hanger at all to add gears?
No hanger.

The design looks the same as the current model at that hub spec. I’d have to research to verify.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I need the all the stability I can get. Smaller devices in my apartment, please. It’s a large Unit and a small space.
That's what she said?

What about just buying a stationary bike? They can be found cheap and might be a better option even if you just keep it for a bit and get rid of it after. Solves all the problems and might actually be good for you longer term...

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I tried the fluid trainer on my old 26” with slicks and knobs. It wasn’t a solution. I’m sharing walls. Through I could set up out in my yard. I’ve got a bit of space outside that’s technically “mine.”

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
That's what she said?

What about just buying a stationary bike? They can be found cheap and might be a better option even if you just keep it for a bit and get rid of it after. Solves all the problems and might actually be good for you longer term...
Thought of it. Was hoping to avoid a thing I’d have to store, or meet a person to buy from.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:stupid:

Bike shop hooked me up with a stationary after I got out of hospital 13 years ago. I went looking for/bike shop recommended a stationary purely because of balance issues post accident. Got a ton of use first year, sat for about a decade, have been putting a ton of miles on it in the last year. Has been great strength training for legs/skiing, been hitting it pretty hard to burn off cornobolaids angst and build miles. Combines well with any number of youtube spin classes. That said, does take up a fair bit of room in the upstairs bathroom while not in use. Friction pad maintenance is kind of a pain in the balls. You're LBS may be less sympathetic than mine. I do not recall what they sold it to me for, but it was at cost. 3 or 5 hundred bucks at the time? I know it's less than ideal, but a stationary would be my recommendation.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I tried the fluid trainer on my old 26” with slicks and knobs. It wasn’t a solution. I’m sharing walls. Through I could set up out in my yard. I’ve got a bit of space outside that’s technically “mine.”
which fluid trainer have you tried? for the price range you're looking at there aren't a ton of options. fwiw, modern fluid trainers are much quieter.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
which fluid trainer have you tried? for the price range you're looking at there aren't a ton of options. fwiw, modern fluid trainers are much quieter.
It’s been a while and I don’t recall.

The update here is that I actually got on my bike yesterday. I couldn’t wait any longer, and it was worth it. I was a little shaky and nervous, but the COVID scare has reduced the traffic in my hood. Hoping that I can keep this up.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Thoughts on this design?

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think your basic generic fluid trainer is going to be pretty good with your current rig. I will say that I enjoyed having gears on mine so I could easily increase or decrease resistance without getting off and cranking the knob. you'll be at a fixed resistance for the entire time on a single speed. I have a generic blackburn/nashbar fluid trainer that occupies low space and is pretty decent for low impact/constant grind activities. I also have a set of rollers- the trainer is so much better for getting a workout in. I should sell my rollers, they are pretty stupid all things considered

Also, I have a sunny health spin bike off of amazon. It was $250 shipped to my door and honestly it's been great. I don't love the seatpost setup but it's liveable once you get it right. https://www.amazon.com/Sunny-Health-Fitness-Resistance-Adjustable/dp/B07T6NNWK4 it does not come with a sweaty blonde girl, but it has been great for doing ghettoton peloton app spin classes. I threw some spuds on there and ride with my MTB shoes. I can't recommend it highly enough- even craigslist spin bikes were the same price. It was easy to set up and so far has only needed some lube on the wheel to keep it quiet.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I loaned a cyclops fluid trainer to HAB the first time he broke his leg. I was dealing with the fifth circle of he'll when he tried to return it and never got back to him and forgot about it. I have no need for it. Perhaps if you paid shipping he would send it to you, hopefully he won't break his legs again.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Should I break down and get a training tube and tire? Could I get away with a lower profile like a Maxxis Hookworm, which I could actually street ride?
I’ve currently got a Maxxis 29 x 2.2 Ikon on WTB i23 speed disc rims rated for 622x23c recommenced 37-62mm tire section width.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Should I break down and get a training tube and tire? Could I get away with a lower profile like a Maxxis Hookworm, which I could actually street ride?
I’ve currently got a Maxxis 29 x 2.2 Ikon on WTB i23 speed disc rims rated for 622x23c recommenced 37-62mm tire section width.
If you already have a Hookworm, then start off with that. If that still proves to have excessive rolling resistance then get a dedicated trainer tire. A cheap one. Or, better yet, a complete, trainer ready, rear wheel if feasible.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
If you already have a Hookworm, then start off with that. If that still proves to have excessive rolling resistance then get a dedicated trainer tire. A cheap one. Or, better yet, a complete, trainer ready, rear wheel if feasible.
I don’t have a hookworm, but have been looking at them as an option.

A full wheel seems to make sense, but...
I just hate dealing with the single speed chain length issue. I don’t want to break a chain and size up a new one. That’s at the limits of what I can do with my hands.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Fack. Finding many of the mag trainers available have limited rear tire tolerance, like 2.0. The slicks I’m finding are generally at that or bigger.

Still shopping.