Quantcast

Covid stress

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
if they want to sell but you don't, you should legally be able to buy them out of the business unless there's something contractual that would prevent that.
it’s much more complicated then buying them out. We have two companies and multiple properties. One company owns part of another. We are selling our largest asset which is the junkyards. It’s what our grandfather started and I grew up at and have been running for the last 10 years. It started as us selling parts (1933) but now we just rent land to junkyards since 1972. So we will just be reinvesting to other property. It might be the smart move or maybe not. I just want to keep it and they don’t. I have no where near enough capital to buy it. I just hate turning my back on an industry my family helped build in our area. I care about these people, it feels like I’m betraying my family of tenants.

I also won’t be able to do this stuff.
916DA967-9C82-4FCC-8F9A-D2D7C9841940.jpeg
D3A266CC-3BEB-4A84-87DE-4D23E67B038B.jpeg
916DA967-9C82-4FCC-8F9A-D2D7C9841940.jpeg

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Well i will admit ive been having a tough time lately. I own my company with my sisters. One of them sucks really bad. She is on the spectrum and is a total narcissist and is one of the laziest people ive ever known. It literally has to be the worst combo ever. Back around Christmas at a funeral for a family friend her daughter punched me in the balls, while dad was standing six inches from me and he just laughed as i fended of the first three blows. Shes 6 and its been an ongoing issue with me, my kids and others. My sister acts like its normal behavior. Anyway when i returned to the table in discomfort and was asked what was wrong. I said her daughter punched me in the balls and it hurts. My sister threw an epic melt down, called me names, made a big scene. This ended up carrying on for over a month until I "had" to apologize to her.

She brought her kid to work a couple months ago and the kid was acting scared of me and avoiding me. Which is fine but also really sucks. I dont want to scare kids or get punched in the balls. But i was guilt tripped hard for not going to her birthday earlier this month. But its just too big a risk. My sister has pulled the "im scared of him" shit since we were kids to get her way.

Now she wants to sell off our 3rd generation business and the younger sister agrees. They dont want to work and also dont want me to do it either. It fucking sucks, I love my work and this place, but they wont stop with wanting to sell it. There are worse positions to be in. I still hate it. Then I think if i dont have work and I am sick of living here in the city and desert, im moving. Current short list is Ashland, oregon or maybe bend.

Still times of uncertainty have me feeling uneasy and depressed.

How much would it cost to be a 1/3rd proxy junker?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
it’s much more complicated then buying them out. We have two companies and multiple properties. One company owns part of another. We are selling our largest asset which is the junkyards. It’s what our grandfather started and I grew up at and have been running for the last 10 years. It started as us selling parts (1933) but now we just rent land to junkyards since 1972. So we will just be reinvesting to other property. It might be the smart move or maybe not. I just want to keep it and they don’t. I have no where near enough capital to buy it. I just hate turning my back on an industry my family helped build in our area. I care about these people, it feels like I’m betraying my family of tenants.

I also won’t be able to do this stuff. View attachment 149075View attachment 149069View attachment 149075
how much capital would RM have to raise to invest? the RM junkyard

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
We’re talking 30 odd tenants on 40 acres in a commercial hot spot in San Diego. It was farm fields when my grandpa bought it.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
You assholes all seem like decent folks. Except @kidwoo. He’s just about a bike thief. Frame only option.

I’m in civil construction and my wife’s a nurse. Both are “essential” so WFH has been a boon for me, and zero effect on her.

I am VERY fortunate. I do worry about my kids and school, though.

And thanks to my super skills, my project is going to end soon, which puts my current situation in peril. No projects=??? Profit?

And my parents seem to have become OLD in the last 4 months. What a crappy way to exit the world... Here’s hoping we reach some semblance of normality before they kick off.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
We’re talking 30 odd tenants on 40 acres in a commercial hot spot in San Diego. It was farm fields when my grandpa bought it.

I am guessing a sale would require an environmental study and possible extensive and expensive clean up making the property not very profitable for resale or repurpose. Or at least I could have my environmental engineering buddy write that up on some fake letterhead for your sisters.
:D

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I am guessing a sale would require an environmental study and possible extensive and expensive clean up making the property not very profitable for resale or repurpose. Or at least I could have my environmental engineering buddy write that up on some fake letterhead for your sisters.
:D
I like the way you think. It’s a reality anyways. But not as much with a cash buyer.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

I also won’t be able to do this stuff. View attachment 149075View attachment 149069View attachment 149075
if you ever come across a old FJ40/45....let me know..

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Having the kids home all the time has been a bit of a stressor. They’re going 100% virtual this whole year. Plus my employer used the crisis to foist extra hours upon us for no extra pay.

But overall my life is not much disrupted, and I’m thankful for that.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Now she wants to sell off our 3rd generation business and the younger sister agrees. They dont want to work and also dont want me to do it either. It fucking sucks, I love my work and this place, but they wont stop with wanting to sell it. There are worse positions to be in. I still hate it. Then I think if i dont have work and I am sick of living here in the city and desert, im moving. Current short list is Ashland, oregon or maybe bend.
Sorry to hear about that. Losing your job and a big part of your family history must be difficult. You cannot blame yourself for this situation though, you can't change other people, family or not.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It's good to hear overall monkeys are maintaining.

I feel lucky that I was able to lock my job down right now. The month to month thing was killing me but trying to look for something else was just awful. The wife is worried work will have them return to the office. Not driving and parking has been about $300 a month "bonus", but we are starting to wear on each other.

I decided to buy a net off Wish and started hitting golf whiffle balls in the back yard. Stir crazy, but I don't go out unless I have to.

Hilarie’s memory and confusion issues are taking a greater toll on me than the pandemic. I'm turning into a full time taxi driver, most of each day a maelstrom of inane repeated conversations to the point that I have trouble keeping focused on what actually needs to be done.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Hilarie’s memory and confusion issues are taking a greater toll on me than the pandemic. I'm turning into a full time taxi driver, most of each day a maelstrom of inane repeated conversations to the point that I have trouble keeping focused on what actually needs to be done.
Sorry to hear that John. I can understand how that must be confusing/scary for her and unbelievably frustrating for you.

Is she seeking treatment? Or are they just letting it play out. I can't profess to be very knowledgeable on the course of action these days.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
@johnbryanpeters that's exactly what's going on with my mom (she's 77) and while it had been developing for a few years, the disruption to daily life and elimination/alteration of most routine social interactions over past 6 months has definitely made it worse. She was already a rather anxious person to begin with, so that doesn't help. They're trying anti-anxiety meds, and finally seem to have found one without side effects, but that only helps so much. And she won't do the cognitive tests that would provide for an official diagnosis. Sucks for my dad-I imagine it's exactly how you feel.

Otherwise, I work in the arts and my wife in educational consulting. We both are very thankful to still be employed but there's definitely a feeling of stress about remaining so always hanging over our heads. And yeah, 2 kids at home for the past 6 months and about to start remote "learning" for at least 4 more is a pain in the fucking ass. I can maintain day to day things, but trying to find time/mental space to focus on bigger writing projects, etc., is really hard.

Glad to hear folks on the monkey are generally doing pretty well.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
additional stress: courts in my county (and surrounding counties) are closed for civil trials until january (officially), but it will almost certainly be longer.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Same, so I'm sure that's helped me as well. I've been remote since 2016, and have worked as a freelancer (effectively remote) on a bunch of occasions before that even. Plus, I don't have kids at home, same as you. Could not IMAGINE what that is like.

Glad to hear it!

Seconded on both of these sentiments: not enough rides with friends and gonna be sad to miss out on a WE rip this fall.
We will be in Moab the third week of October, if anyone wants to ride. Probably Hazard down at that point. Self shuttle...

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
It WAS nice to get to spend those three months at home.

The flip side is that the FTS on work days is much stronger than I could have imagined possible, and it was bad before.
Sounds like you just need to find a new job -- preferably one that doesn't require you to pee in a cup ;)

Sounds like the speculative value of the land (irrespective of the remediation) far exceeds the current use and ROI of the land.

Just find someone with "deep pockets" to help buy your siblings out with a lowball offer.

Remediate the land and then split profits with the investor. It's the 'Merkin way.

+++++

As a WFH misanthrope who was already spending 50% of my time working on (and out of) my shit box in Idaho Covid-19 hasn't changed my routine(s) much outside having the kids around more than normal.

While I won't complain about having my busiest business year (ever) given the economic devastation so much of the world is experiencing, the lack of time in the mountains (and exercise) is killing me.

Every year I "say" it will be different next year, but I'm starting to realize next year will never come, and I need to start now...

Thank the FSM that I'm able to float the river and self-medicate... and I have a tentative plan to grab a campsite at my happy place next week for 7 days of "end of summer" working / camping here:

1598632824014.png

Both my kids are attending school in person after Labor Day but I look after my elderly mom and have my own health concerns.

So I think I'm going to have to socially distance from my own family until that shit goes virtual after the inevitable super-spreader event occurs.

On the plus side it's been good preparation for the (seemingly inevitable) dissolution of my failing marriage...

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
We will be in Moab the third week of October, if anyone wants to ride. Probably Hazard down at that point. Self shuttle...
Wife and I camped at Warner Lake campground mid-October last year and had the place to ourselves.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I find that all of this has increased my anxiety greatly, to the point that I'm finding it difficult to focus on well, anything really.

Thankful to still have a job, but its been a pretty rough learning curve figuring this out from and has me feeling behind, with no resources to turn to. Which increases my anxiety and makes it hard to figure out how to learn, which then ups my anxiety about not being a contributor and getting fired, which makes it even harder to focus. Like one big self defeating loop that I have no idea how to break.

Otherwise, business as usual, just with a mask. Not big into crowds or people in general, so having a built in excuse to avoid going to happy hours, or this and that has been a boon. Pretty much just food shopping, going to home depot, visiting family, and riding my bike.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Ooof, that’s rough. Hang in there. Try to get some time to yourself if you can. We are no good to our loved ones if we are not good to ourselves.

Sorry to hear that John. I can understand how that must be confusing/scary for her and unbelievably frustrating for you.

Is she seeking treatment? Or are they just letting it play out. I can't profess to be very knowledgeable on the course of action these days.
As in @jstuhlman's mother, she has resisted memory diagnosis and treatment. She also has anxiety verging on the severe. She takes some medication to address that; I don't want to see this verging into warehousing drugs, which her sister has her mother on.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
As in @jstuhlman's mother, she has resisted memory diagnosis and treatment. She also has anxiety verging on the severe. She takes some medication to address that; I don't want to see this verging into warehousing drugs, which her sister has her mother on.
My friends parents are suffering from this at the same time. The only upside I guess is that they both seem to be on the same page. They have their own little world and take care of each other but are completely out of sink with reality.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I am sorry to hear that John, hang in there. Just today I thought how nice it would be to ride together here or in VT, I miss those days so much. I wish New England states arrived at a joint covid policy and not the fragmented bullshit we have now.

Sounds like you just need to find a new job -- preferably one that doesn't require you to pee in a cup ;)

Sounds like the speculative value of the land (irrespective of the remediation) far exceeds the current use and ROI of the land.

Just find someone with "deep pockets" to help buy your siblings out with a lowball offer.

Remediate the land and then split profits with the investor. It's the 'Merkin way.

+++++

As a WFH misanthrope who was already spending 50% of my time working on (and out of) my shit box in Idaho Covid-19 hasn't changed my routine(s) much outside having the kids around more than normal.

While I won't complain about having my busiest business year (ever) given the economic devastation so much of the world is experiencing, the lack of time in the mountains (and exercise) is killing me.

Every year I "say" it will be different next year, but I'm starting to realize next year will never come, and I need to start now...

Thank the FSM that I'm able to float the river and self-medicate... and I have a tentative plan to grab a campsite at my happy place next week for 7 days of "end of summer" working / camping here:

View attachment 149136

Both my kids are attending school in person after Labor Day but I look after my elderly mom and have my own health concerns.

So I think I'm going to have to socially distance from my own family until that shit goes virtual after the inevitable super-spreader event occurs.

On the plus side it's been good preparation for the (seemingly inevitable) dissolution of my failing marriage...

Dude. Take care of yourself. You are my plan B - parking a camper in your yard and floating the river every day. :)

I find that all of this has increased my anxiety greatly, to the point that I'm finding it difficult to focus on well, anything really.
Let's ride soon again, Tim.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i can remember when my grandmother had the same issues and my mother refused to acknowledge the it was alzheimers for some reason. i think she's always been terrified it would happen to her. and guess what...

she's taken to making lots of lists/post it notes as memory aides over the years. now she loses them and gets more stressed. even normal things take forever. when they visited last year, i had to walk away in the grocery store because it was taking her so long (5+ minutes) just to pick some yogurt. we lost another whole day when she thought she hadn't brought enough special cream for her rosatia and has to track it down locally.

i'm pretty sure that at some point soon she's going to have to stop driving, as my dad reports that she can't remember how to operate power windows/ac, etc. sometimes. and yeah, john, i know it's gotta be hard/frustrating for you, because i can see it in my dad. he now does the majority of household tasks, banking, etc., because it's just easier. drives her a lot more too. but repeating the same thing to someone many, many times can get super frustrating for sure.

anyway, hang in there man. from all i can tell, getting a diagnosis is important as it can get you access to more resources that will hopefully make thing easier for you as well.

i can remember when my grandmother had the same issues and my mother refused to acknowledge the it was alzheimers for some reason. i think she's always been terrified it would happen to her. and guess what...

she's taken to making lots of lists/post it notes as memory aides over the years. now she loses them and gets more stressed. even normal things take forever. when they visited last year, i had to walk away in the grocery store because it was taking her so long (5+ minutes) just to pick some yogurt. we lost another whole day when she thought she hadn't brought enough special cream for her rosatia and has to track it down locally.

i'm pretty sure that at some point soon she's going to have to stop driving, as my dad reports that she can't remember how to operate power windows/ac, etc. sometimes. and yeah, john, i know it's gotta be hard/frustrating for you, because i can see it in my dad. he now does the majority of household tasks, banking, etc., because it's just easier. drives her a lot more too. but repeating the same thing to someone many, many times can get super frustrating for sure.

anyway, hang in there man. from all i can tell, getting a diagnosis is important as it can get you access to more resources that will hopefully make thing easier for you as well.
Thanks, js and others!

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I am pretty much anti social due to the fact that I won't put up with bullshit and I have a bad temper. Lets just say I used to have a few drinks and beat the shit out of people. Covid? Hell I'm an EMT, I have been dealing with infectious diseases that can eff you up or kill you for the past 20 years. I just keep on doing proper BSI and decon.

I've been working my ass off since this shit started as all the ricky rescue posers quit because shit got real and we are short staffed.

The only real effect has been we save a lot of money by not going out to dinner and the local lakes are shut down for kayaking ( no Quagga Mussel inspections stations open) . I have one or two friends that I go Ride or Kayak with. The rest of my old crowd are all dead , Drugs, disease, suicide, or climbing accidents.

This current shit is no where near as stressful to me as firefighting was. I don't have covid dreams. My Fire PTSD is somewhat under control although I do still have some serious anger issues but at least I don't see screaming mangled people in my dreams every night like I used to.

one of these days we will all crawl out of our holes and face a really changed world and go about reinventing ourselves
Heck I have had to do that 4 different times so far, 3 times the industry collapsed and the forth one I just got too old to physically and mentally do the job....

Hang in there and hope that these aren't the good old days

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Hang in there John. My dad was coherent up until the last few months then his memory and motor skills went to hell. Thankfully he was only that way for about 6 months before he passed away. I deal with many dementia and Alzheimer patients and it can be difficult even in the short 30 minutes that I have them. Stay strong my friend

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

On a semi-related note:
Are we just not going to talk about 'squeeb being a total and complete fucking sociopath?

;)
I know this was said (mostly) tongue-in-cheek, but I happened to be listening to a podcast the other day that brought up the apparent noted phenomenon of a decrease in mental health issues during times of really large crisis or war. Apparently, it's not just depressive assholes like me who feel better when shit gets really weird. Sebastian Junger wrote a book that addresses some of this that I guess I need to go find, and there is this apparently famous study done after WW2 that addresses a "community of sufferers". I'm no scientist or mental health expert, and perhaps there are plenty of holes to poke in the above noted works, but it does seem, at least anecdotally, to be a thing.

https://www.amazon.com/Tribe-Homecoming-Belonging-Sebastian-Junger/dp/1455566381