Quantcast

Cr-mo Sliding Dropouts, who makes em?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I am about to have a frame built and I am having trouble finding a complete set of sliding dropouts. I am after 4130 backplates and alloy front adjusting plates with disc mount and mech hanger.
I have emailed Evil a number of times just to recieve the same message twice and then no reply at all, I wanted a complete set of the D.O.C dropouts(as pictured).

I have looked at the Paragon dropouts but they aren't designed for DH use there is too much leverage applied to the stays.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I emailed Paragon, they said if I wasn't smooth I could break the dropouts, I have seen pics of a cracked frame with Paragons(could have poor framebuilding).
I am also waiting for a reply from IRD as their new dropouts look good, are their any other options or does anyone know how to get in contact with Evil, are they broke? Their phone message says they are in limited production, starting to wonder how limited.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
what is the point of your question? do you want to find the dropouts? just the sliding parts?

Paragon's stuff is top-notch.

you can break anything if you're not smooth. including the stuff Evil makes.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Sorry but Evil is not a fully custom frame shop nor do we sell our frame parts. That is an extremely limited market, plus it would open up a huge can of worms for insurance liability.

-ska todd

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Here are the Paragons. They make 2 different styles now. These are the older, cheaper ones.
There have been some breakages related to braking forces and the fact that the seatstay must be placed quite a distance from the axle. There is a disagreement among builders as to whether a brace (as seen in the pic) helps or not. I argue it does. I haven't seen any dropouts fail, but rather the SS and CS folding directly in front of the dropout.
This bike, as well as it's twin sister, have been through hell and back. A-line, urban, slalom, 4x, etc. No issues yet.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Sorry but Evil is not a fully custom frame shop nor do we sell our frame parts. That is an extremely limited market, plus it would open up a huge can of worms for insurance liability.

-ska todd
Cool, thanks I wish that was in the first email I got back.
I still really don't like the Paragon design, the axle is too far from the stay ends.
I'll just buy the Evil alloy outer plates and get the inner ones made up, they are by far the best I've come across, if only they were post mount.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Sweet. Pretty reasonably price too, considering the casting on the steel drops, machine work on the sliders, and likely very low volume sales.