Quantcast

Crab Season

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
It has begun,along with the Wonderful Pot Harvest. Lovely how the Two come together each year. Anyway,we have the Dungeness Crab here. I have a wonderful Pickeled Crab Recipe,of course you must eat it Cold. I was thinking this year I would have it before the Turkey along with my Collard Greens. A Scooby Snack before Supper to hold off the Insane Hunger. Do Monkey’s eat Crab?

Avy

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Friend of mine worked out on the sound and would pull a crab out of his pot every day during crab season and ultimately came down with gout because of it. Used to mooch crabs off of him but haven't had any since my free supply dried out.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Dungenous kind of tastes like dirt to me. I like snow crab, but too much work for too little payoff. That leaves the king.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Dungenous kind of tastes like dirt to me. I like snow crab, but too much work for too little payoff. That leaves the king.
Jm my Brother,I love the way you make me laugh. Dry,but funny. I have to say this has tobe the worst post I have read by you.

Dungy taste like Dirt? A Beat taste like Dirt Brother. A Dungy has tobe one of the sweetest Crabs on Earth. You don’t need Butter or anything. Like good Corn,just Sweet. Tell me Where you ate the Dungy? How many have you ate? I must know!

Avy

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Jm my Brother,I love the way you make me laugh. Dry,but funny. I have to say this has tobe the worst post I have read by you.

Dungy taste like Dirt? A Beat taste like Dirt Brother. A Dungy has tobe one of the sweetest Crabs on Earth. You don’t need Butter or anything. Like good Corn,just Sweet. Tell me Where you ate the Dungy? How many have you ate? I must know!

Avy
Many, Dungenous was "the crab" to get back in SF, most serious places offering it sold what was caught locally outside the bay. I always would go for it on my birthday. Up in Seattle too. That's where I realized I didn't really like the meat nearly as much as snow and king. Maybe I was spoiled by king, but it tastes far better to me.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
this makes me sad. became allergic to shrimp, crab, and lobster when i was about 30. ironic, as i used to love them and worked as a sternman for a number of summers. people say sometimes the reaction stops when you get older but i'm not willing to test those waters. suppose i could do a test at the dr's....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
this makes me sad. became allergic to shrimp, crab, and lobster when i was about 30. ironic, as i used to love them and worked as a sternman for a number of summers. people say sometimes the reaction stops when you get older but i'm not willing to test those waters. suppose i could do a test at the dr's....
Ouch, that sucks man.

I'm not huge into seafood, but halibut, crab and shrimp are up there pretty high for me.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
What happens,you‘re face blow up? That does suck. I would check with Dr. for sure.

Avy

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
What happens,you‘re face blow up? That does suck. I would check with Dr. for sure.

Avy
no face swelling/throat closing...body just waits an hour or so and then violently ejects everything within until it can no more....it's a lovely experience, let me tell you.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Many, Dungenous was "the crab" to get back in SF, most serious places offering it sold what was caught locally outside the bay. I always would go for it on my birthday. Up in Seattle too. That's where I realized I didn't really like the meat nearly as much as snow and king. Maybe I was spoiled by king, but it tastes far better to me.
Well,you had the Location right. Still, Dirt is way off. No King or Snow this year. Snow Crab is a Joke,Crazy expensive and slim Pickens as you said. You might as well get a Lobster if going King,better and cheaper.

There is so many Crabs I have not eaten. Blue,Coconut,Mud,not to mention many Local ones I know not of? I always wanted the “Claws Only“ Crab in Florida,can’t think of the name? I would still put the Dungy up to the Pepsi challenge on all of them though.

Avy

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Well,you had the Location right. Still, Dirt is way off. No King or Snow this year. Snow Crab is a Joke,Crazy expensive and slim Pickens as you said. You might as well get a Lobster if going King,better and cheaper.

There is so many Crabs I have not eaten. Blue,Coconut,Mud,not to mention many Local ones I know not of? I always wanted the “Claws Only“ Crab in Florida,can’t think of the name? I would still put the Dungy up to the Pepsi challenge on all of them though.

Avy
Stone crabs are the "sustainable" ones from Florida where they pull one arm off.

I'm from Baltimore, so grew up eating blues, but the majority of blue crabs now a days come from the Gulf of Mexico/Texas and are shipped up.

Blue crabs are all about day drinking, and getting Old Bay in your finger cuts (and the heavy metal laden fatty liver mustard, yummy bottom feeders)

One does not move to Montana for the seafood though we get good stuff (fish) flown in 3x week from AK.

Great now I'm hungry for crabs, but alas canned crab meat from Costco is /////lobster pricing due to shortage of pickers / labor intensive...

1667694408733.png
+
1667694439840.png
+
1667694521793.png
= my youth, but I drink ///fancy beer now

ETA: Utz Crab Chips vs. Herr's Old Bay Chips, who you got:

1667694722498.png
1667694738716.png

Last edited:

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Stone crabs are the "sustainable" ones from Florida where they pull one arm off.

I'm from Baltimore, so grew up eating blues, but the majority of blue crabs now a days come from the Gulf of Mexico/Texas and are shipped up.

Blue crabs are all about day drinking, and getting Old Bay in your finger cuts (and the heavy metal laden fatty liver mustard, yummy bottom feeders)

One does not move to Montana for the seafood though we get good stuff (fish) flown in 3x week from AK.

Great now I'm hungry for crabs, but alas canned crab meat from Costco is /////lobster pricing due to shortage of pickers / labor intensive...

View attachment 184290 + View attachment 184291+ View attachment 184292 = my youth, but I drink ///fancy beer now

ETA: Utz Crab Chips vs. Herr's Old Bay Chips, who you got:

View attachment 184293View attachment 184294
I would Love to eat that right now,so many times I have seen such wonders on TV. Old Bay is also the favorite for CrawFish as well I guess? Never had a CrawFish Boil either.

Those Blues are Fried no Brother? No dipping sauce right?
I thought Pabst Blue Ribbon was the choice for Beer?
Why no more Blues where you at?

Avy

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
I would Love to eat that right now,so many times I have seen such wonders on TV. Old Bay is also the favorite for CrawFish as well I guess? Never had a CrawFish Boil either.

Those Blues are Fried no Brother? No dipping sauce right?
I thought Pabst Blue Ribbon was the choice for Beer?
Why no more Blues where you at?

Avy
Crabs are steamed, unless softshell in which case fried.

Some folks dip their lump crab meat in butter but is not necessary.

Picking crabs is very labor intensive so you usually get tired before you get "full"

Natty Boh was THE OG cheap (@ $6/case of 24) Maryland beer growing up, but any yellow beer will do.

Much of the open space around the Bay which formerly allowed rainwater to soak in, has been replaced by subdivisions asphalt / culverts.

That along with overuse of fertilizers and related nitrogen / algae blooms have crushed the crab/oyster production...

1667699801649.png

1667699843030.png

Last edited:

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Crabs are steamed, unless softshell in which case fried.

Some folks dip their lump crab meat in butter but is not necessary.

Picking crabs is very labor intensive so you usually get tired before you get "full"

Natty Boh was THE OG cheap (@ $6/case of 24) Maryland beer growing up, but any yellow beer will do.

Much of the open space around the Bay which formerly allowed rainwater to soak in, has been replaced by subdivisions asphalt / culverts.

That along with overuse of fertilizers and related nitrogen / algae blooms have crushed the crab/oyster production...

View attachment 184300

View attachment 184301
Wow,that is sobering. Though it is the same Everywhere,some worse than others. That is why I have such a Hard time having a Good Attitude. Thank You for the chart’s and time on it. No Kings this year,many of our Dungy season’s have been shut down due to Algae pollution. I think the King‘s went to Colder Waters,which would be Russia. I have no Idea what would happen if this were true? Hopefully I am wrong,but I don’t think I am.

Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
no face swelling/throat closing...body just waits an hour or so and then violently ejects everything within until it can no more....it's a lovely experience, let me tell you.
How does the Dr.Test for this tobe sure? I don’t get it. Let’s give my Brother a taste of Crab and see what happens? You poor Lad.

Avy

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Stern man. Worst job ever. Everyone on the boats is a junkie or drunk.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
my wife is from maryland. she always raved about what a good time eating steamed old bay crabs are. her mom got some once, i did not see the appeal. too much effort IMO.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Lobster is cheaper and better then crab. Between the claws and the tails, you get a better experience in my opinion.
It always tastes kind of rubbery to me. Not sure if it's just shitty lobster that I've had, but that's been my experience. Liked crawdads though, we used to catch them in the CA Delta.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
It always tastes kind of rubbery to me. Not sure if it's just shitty lobster that I've had, but that's been my experience. Liked crawdads though, we used to catch them in the CA Delta.
Are not crawdads just tiney tiny lobsters? mudbugs, Crawfish.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Pot Liqa,The most important part of Proper Greens. You all have no idea what I’m talkin bout. 4 lbs of Smoked NeckBones,and 2 1/2 lbs of Smoked Pork Hock. I was going to get Turkey,but they had no Wings. I will cook that for 2 Day’s before adding the Greens. More details and a Picture to come. Oh,I have to have a Case of Greens,24 Bunches for that much meat,but Crazy as it sound’s,it’s not that much.

Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Pot Liqa,The most important part of Proper Greens. You all have no idea what I’m talkin bout. 4 lbs of Smoked NeckBones,and 2 1/2 lbs of Smoked Pork Hock. I was going to get Turkey,but they had no Wings. I will cook that for 2 Day’s before adding the Greens. More details and a Picture to come. Oh,I have to have a Case of Greens,24 Bunches for that much meat,but Crazy as it sound’s,it’s not that much.

Avy
Well,tommorow morning I get the Greens and Crab. Pot Liqa is ready,just have to drain and clean Bones.

Avy

Attachments

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006

Avy
Crab Heaven,43 of them and Ausi Top Sirloin with Homemade Sausage.
5 Bucks a Pound fresh of the Boat,HalfMoon Bay CA

Avy

Attachments

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
droppin' science like Galileo dropped the orange:

Marine heatwaves, a component of our impact on the Earth’s climate, can bring both expected and unexpected environmental change. Between 2018 and 2021, after a period of historically high crab abundance and a series of marine heatwaves, the population of snow crab in the Bering Sea declined by 10 billion. Szuwalksi et al. used survey data to model the potential drivers of the decline in this ecologically and commercially important species. They found that the temperature of the water was not above the species’ thermal limits, but it did increase their caloric needs considerably (see the Perspective by Kruse). This increase, in conjunction with a restriction in range, led to an unexpected mass starvation event. —Sacha Vignieri

Bummer...