Quantcast

Cracked 26" Carbon Demo, if I get a 650B replacement....

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I can't speak for Spesh, but a mate who just broke a 26" Giant (lifetime warranty) got given a complete bike replacement, but had to hand in his old bike.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
A mate of mine did exactly what you did, cracked his 26" carbon Demo (just a hairline in the paint which we weren't even sure was actually a crack) and got handed a brand new 650b carbon demo frame. I thought that was pretty good in itself.

I'm sure you could ask your shop / spec rep for a deal to get you rolling, but I'd consider it a bonus.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
what's the BB height on those?
you can probably guess where I'm headed with this, eh?

if the BB is too low with 26s. run a drop crown and drop your stanchions to raise the front*. Slackerer is always betterer here, right? ;)

*a lower rise bar may also be needed with this set up.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

if the BB is too low with 26s. run a drop crown and drop your stanchions to raise the front*. Slackerer is always betterer here, right? ;)

You can also make it steeper with headset cups again which in turn would rise the bb even more if rising the front is not enough.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

Not high enough to win a World Cup obviously....not to mention the Kryptonite effect.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
You should be able to convert the 650B Demo for 26 pretty easily if you wanted too. Between the headtube, offest bushings and press fit BB's you can tweak geometry to fit your needs fairly easily. I think this may be one of the few good things with press fit BB's...

upload_2017-6-16_16-58-27.png

Conversely, given how stupidly stout the alu rear end of the old Demo 8 was, you ought to be able to easily convert up to 650B if you wanted to if you are comfortable with the dremel with all the same things that would allow you to convert down to 26" with the new Demo 8.........

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Those eccentrics move the bb like 2-3mm FWIW
You sure? I'm seeing +/- 6mm. On a long travel bike with offset bushings you ought to be able to address the 12mm difference between 650b and 26inch between those 2 things. If there is any negative effect with head angle slackening you can probably bring it back with an angle adjust headset.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You sure? I'm seeing +/- 6mm. On a long travel bike with offset bushings you ought to be able to address the 12mm difference between 650b and 26inch between those 2 things. If there is any negative effect with head angle slackening you can probably bring it back with an angle adjust headset.
I called one of those companies (one up or on one or something) and that number is crap. It's more like +/- 3mm, or 6mm total range. I wanted to get one years ago to lower the bb of well....every bike ever made and was pretty bummed about it. There might be a bb style/spindle size you can milk some more out of but I do remember thinking those numbers were very misleading.

But yeah, in concert with some other things, it could still be a piece of the puzzle.