Quantcast

Cracked frame C.S. info

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
7,536
20
Montana
Does anyone have any info about customer service on cracked or broken frames? What did the company do for you and all info.


Im curious as I want to know what to expect. I am awaiting a call to see how Foes will handle my cracked Fly, which was cracked at the swingarm under the front derailer and also cracked under the floating brake main frame mount.
 

kidwoo

Celebrating No-Pants Day
Aug 25, 2003
23,629
3,040
In my pants
Every company is different.

Me:

Specialized/Cracked chainstay/Replaced within the week.

Turner/Hairline crack on mainframe/Replaced the next day

Intense/Got a "prototype" frame by accident (not theirs)/replaced within the week.

Karpiel/crack at headtube/"ready in a week"-----actually ready in 3 months
 

Projectpat

Chimp
Oct 26, 2004
26
0
bellingham
i friend of mine had a fly crack on him and he had it replaced within a few weeks. i guess brent foes called him up personally and let him know. so for what i know, foes is pretty good with replacements. generally it seems smaller companies are a bit better as far as warrenties go.
 

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
1,160
0
Cape Cod, MA
Projectpat said:
i friend of mine had a fly crack on him and he had it replaced within a few weeks. i guess brent foes called him up personally and let him know. so for what i know, foes is pretty good with replacements. generally it seems smaller companies are a bit better as far as warrenties go.
minus ellsworth
 

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
7,536
20
Montana
Foes treated me real well today. I had 2 options.
1. Fix the cracked frame for free
2. Crash replacement for an 06 Fly and pay the difference

I decided on a 06 Fly and it should be here in Dec. I wont disclose the price but they treated me pretty fairly.
 

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
2,334
0
Chatsworth
Kanter said:
Foes treated me real well today. I had 2 options.
1. Fix the cracked frame for free
2. Crash replacement for an 06 Fly and pay the difference

I decided on a 06 Fly and it should be here in Dec. I wont disclose the price but they treated me pretty fairly.
Thanks for the update, and I'm really glad that everything worked out for you. It's also nice that you didn't brag or rant about the price of the replacement...:thumb:
 

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
7,536
20
Montana
blt2ride said:
Thanks for the update, and I'm really glad that everything worked out for you. It's also nice that you didn't brag or rant about the price of the replacement...:thumb:
Lets just say I didn't skip up and down the street and I didn't throw anything at the wall. It was fair and thats all I asked for. :D
 

kidwoo

Celebrating No-Pants Day
Aug 25, 2003
23,629
3,040
In my pants
zedro said:
uhh.....yeah, pretty much :drool:
How bous us guys near the coasts get in a drunk fight and wonder why the guy in montana who started this thread isn't into full blown cabin fever yet.

I know kanter is seeing snow.

Hey kanter, quit worrying about bikes. I know the shining is talking to ya.
 

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
7,536
20
Montana
No snow yet. We shuttled the local ski area up to 7000 feet and no snow. Its been in the 60s. We try and ride almost year around. Us Montana boys aren't afraid of snow and cold.
 

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
11,647
470
Groton, MA
cracked norco chainstay - 3 months
snapped scream - 1 1/2 months

dealing outside the US makes it 10x more of a hassle, or so ive heard
 

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
1,213
0
Pac NW
Hey, thought you already had your frame squared away and ready warranty replacement? Well if you feel it's fair that's the most important, always better than feeling you got taken for a ride lol. Good deal, look forward to seeing your new ride.
 

toodles

Turbo Monkey
Aug 24, 2004
2,911
1,247
Australia
norco-freerider said:
dealing outside the US makes it 10x more of a hassle, or so ive heard
Mongoose - Got given the runaround by the rep, got a replacement front triangle after 3 months.
Mongoose (again) - Told I was getting sent a new swingarm. Took 6 weeks to arrive. Obviously 2nd hand (scratches, dirt, peeled stickers) when it arrived.
Avanti - replaced within a fortnight each time (cracked 3 frames).
Turner - hairline cracks in front shock mount. Received new front triangle and bearings within a week, express posted from the US to Australia. Sweet!
 

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
7,536
20
Montana
Monkeybidnezz said:
Hey, thought you already had your frame squared away and ready warranty replacement? Well if you feel it's fair that's the most important, always better than feeling you got taken for a ride lol. Good deal, look forward to seeing your new ride.
Well, it was sort of squared away untill I got the bill and started adding numbers and I was paying a little under Go-Rides prices. I called back and talked directly to the MAN and he helped me out a little better.:thumb:


From what I understand Turner has the best warrenty?

How is Santa Curz warrenty?
 

kidwoo

Celebrating No-Pants Day
Aug 25, 2003
23,629
3,040
In my pants
Kanter said:
From what I understand Turner has the best warrenty?

How is Santa Curz warrenty?
I'd definitely say turner has ONE of the best warranties....kind of unofficially though. Their stated warranty is one or two years on frame defects but those guys usually go out of their way to help anyone on thier bikes, inside of warranty period or not.

But then you have people like trek and specialized that do pretty much the same thing a lot of the time. It's not as personal but just as good.

Santa Cruz from what I've seen has a good system but there is usually some downtime if they haven't done a recent run of parts. I've never owned an SC bike but guys I ride with have been treated well, just not always immediately.
 

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
2,258
0
805
Intense has the best duh! I am really kidding on that one!

From everything that I've read/heard/seen, Turner and Possibly the Iron Horse stuff has excellent CS. I don't think I'd hesitate to get a bike from either company next time around. You don't really hear of cracks and such either with their frames, and if you do, they take care of it. I know Specialized has one of the better warrenties stated, LIFETIME to original owner. Can't beat that.

But anything really from a small bike company, 1-3 week turnaround isn't bad especially if it's a low-volume company. I've heard stories that some companies will build what you broke (mainframe, swingarm) when it brakes, hence why it takes 2 or 3 weeks or more (weld it, head treat it, powder coat it etc...). I guess it just depends what the problem is.

Santa Cruz is the same way, they'll get you the parts, but say they have no more bullit mainframes..........well you gotta wait until they do another run. So it can be some downtime but anything within a month turn around from them getting the part and getting it back to you (depending where you live, hell ground shipping can take 5 days in some places) then things are good.

Being in SoCal helps alot as most of the DH botique bikes are made either south or north of us. So shipping is quick to get there, but turn around time can be what lags.
 

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
700
3
Richmond, VA
after my experience today with specialized, i can say they have a dedicated customer.

i found hairline cracks on each side of the ribcage on my demo 8. went into the shop where i work, called up spec., and they overnighted a new frame with shock and headset and hub to me from ohio. should be here in 2 days. this was all within an hour and a half of me finding the cracks. they said just to use all the parts i need and send back the stuff that i don't use and the broken stuff. they are going to call the shop back when they want my frame. they were more concerned with getting me a new frame than getting my cracked one back. i was only on the phone with the guy for less than 10 minutes too!
 

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
7,536
20
Montana
Ya, I have heard Specialized rocks at CS. They warrentied a rear chainstay for a friend of mine that broke when the the wheel came loose. It was clearly her fault but Specialized replaced it for free.
 

Turd Ferguson

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
223
0
Burbank
Kanter said:
Ya, I have heard Specialized rocks at CS. They warrentied a rear chainstay for a friend of mine that broke when the the wheel came loose. It was clearly her fault but Specialized replaced it for free.

Warranty,
warrantied,
warrantable,
warrantless,
warrantability,
warrantableness.

;)







You guys are killin' me.:heart:
 

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
7,536
20
Montana
Turd Ferguson said:
Warranty,
warrantied,
warrantable,
warrantless,
warrantability,
warrantableness.

;)







You guys are killin' me.:heart:
a instead of e. I get in now. Actually, I dont really care how it's spelled as long as I get one and a good one at that.:thumb: