Quantcast

Cracked sx trail chainstay...I'm crying as we speak

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
So I was cruising around mtbr looking for known problems with the demo 8's and started looking at people who had cracked their 05' and 06' enduro's and sx trails. They all started on the left side chain stay and was quite common (I found about 7).

I thought mmm...I better check mine (06'). Went down cleaned off the area and found a dirty big crack. Damn. I bloody love this bike. The 07' sx trail's have a big gusset on the inside of the chainstay. I'll see go see appleby's and see what Specialized can do. It's a known issue, with Jake Wake himself addmitting it on MTBR, so hopefully I can get something done however I am the second owner and although I know the origional owner, the shop he bought it from know's he no longer has it.

Anyone else had this problem? Chances of getting 2nd owner love from the big S?

The crack appears white because I put some fine flour on it to make it pop in the picture.

yetiboyjay

Chimp
Jul 8, 2008
England, Devon
Yeah, its pretty common, like here:

This went snap big style after a road drop, lucky it didnt fall and dig into the dirt, it would be like throwing an anchor overboard!

Spesh' were really good with replacing it though!

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
a lot of SXs cracked there, nothing new.

IMO Speci has some serious cracking issues, o.k everything can break but Specis seam to crack relatively easy, speaking of SXs and the first generation Demo 9 and 8.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
I toasted two sets on my old SX. Then the main frame went on me.

Chances of getting a warranty as it's a used bike are slim but I'm sure they would sell you a new stay.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
a friend of mine (also second owner) got a replacement chainstay for his enduro for 50,- €, which in my opinion is not much. specialized have in my experience always been very helpfull, i got a chainstay for my '02 bighit DH for free, although the frame was then 4 years old.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Seems people have a good experience with Spec on this issue.

Hopefully I can get this fixed reasonably cheap, because I love this frame.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I had it happen on my 05 Enduro. They replaced it no questions asked. the new chainstay is much more burly. I've put an additional two seasons on it now with no signs of fatigue. And that's a record for me, I never had a frame last more than a season and a half without breaking. Specialized should take care of you.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
Good attitude + beer will work wonders in improving the way your bike shop views your broken second hand bike in my experience.
Speak politely, but don't be too disappointed if you end up dropping a few dollars for a new chainstay.
Warranty is why people buy new bikes.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
The magic FSR!

I did that to a Spec Enduro and 3 Jamis Dakar's, seen buckets of bighit stays in that condition.

Demo is the first FSR to avoid this as far as I know, but that subframe for the linkage doesnt hurt.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
its a known issue with the "old" (pre 2009) SX Trail because its basically a toughened up "old" (pre 2007) Enduro frame which means its very light for a frame that is marketed as a freeride frame - the medium SX Trail with DHX coil is 8.9lb

last summer in Whistler there were loads of people riding round on Demo 7s with different coloured swingarms...we asked a couple of riders and they said they had cracked their swingarm where the horst pivot weld was...and were given whatever swingarms Specialized Canada could rustle up

their frames are very good, but have always been a little light (underbuilt) considering the intended usage, they are usually very good with warranty claims for original owners, although they stiffed me when I snapped the driveside dropout / seatstay weld on my 02 Big Hit...ended up with a banshee scream and no problems with that ;)

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Hmmmm... I just put together a new 2004 demo 9 that hasn't even seen a trail yet.

I hope it doesn't crack at the shock mount.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Quit being a little girl, stop crying, and got get a brand new frame for free. Broken frames are a gift from baby jesus. If you have a cool shop, especially one who you buy stuff from, it shouldn't be a problem. If not, lie and say you are the original owner. Specialized warranty is usually no questions asked.