Quantcast

Cracked the Axle on my DT440

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
Hey guys... well, just like the title says, I cracked the axle on my DT 12 x 150 DT 440 hub cause of the maxle light on my frame. What are my options? can I have a axle shipped here from DT? or should I just have one made from a local hardware store? I heard you need some really tight tolerances and the Alu here in Chile isnt exaclty high grade... I was thinking maybe cromo or brass? Any thoughts?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Brass isn't a good idea. I haven't had one apart in a while, the stock is aluminum, right?

I'd just call DT in the States and see what they can do about sending you one. Machining one wouldn't be that bad if you had the right tooling, but some of it is a bit specialized- I wouldn't want to try it without a sufficiently long 12mm reamer, which I wouldn't bank on any old machine shop having.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Contact DT. They are really helpful. I had several friends they helped for free or little money in situations like these.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
gonna call, see what answer I get. As for the maxle, gonna have a cotoms axle built (20 bucks tops) and slap it on there untill banshee comes out with the new Ti axle!