Quantcast

Craftsman Sucks Ass

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I ordered a new workbench 2 months ago and it's been "on backorder." I just called again and they just now told me they discontinued them. Had I not called they wouldn't have told me. :mumble: That'll be the last time I support those assholes. I have been ridiculously disorganized because I haven't had a workbench for that long, and I could have been fine if they had good customer service. :stosh:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
No kidding. I completely destroyed one of their adjustable wrenches by trying to break a stuck bolt loose with a cheater pipe and they replaced it on the spot, no questions asked.

Lame.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
ain't any Sears stores around you? if there are, call around and see if you can find one for cheap, at (a fairly substancially) discounted price.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I have seen them replace sockets that have been "modified" with a grinder to serve as some other type of tool. Horrible customer service.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Sorry bud,
But crafstman is as good as it gets. You break it, they give you a new one, no questions asked.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Lets make a clear distinction. Craftsman hand tools, the ones garranteed for life, rock. You really can break them all you want and keep returning them for new ones.
Other craftsman tools, including benches and most tool boxes (sans ball bearing) and sears stores in general, suck butt.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
but Craftsman boxes are cheap. and when you need to upsize your box yearly, like i've needed to, cheap is good. guess i could just stop buying tools.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
BTW - you know that in 2 months, you could have constructed a really, really kick ass workbench from common building materials...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Who BUYS a workbench? I'd have thought it was pretty easy and normal to fab your own dependant on your personal tastes and the jobs you're going to be doing on it.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
I have broken many craftsmen tools out of sheer stupidity (I am young can you blame me?) and they replaced them.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
I returned a lawn mower to Sears 2 years after I bought it - I had used it a few times, and they gave me my $ back - no question!

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
BurlyShirley said:
Sorry bud,
But crafstman is as good as it gets. You break it, they give you a new one, no questions asked.
Bingo.

Sheared off the peg on a 1/2" drive rachet doing some....automotive work....and they replaced it no questions asked. Snapped about a dozen different sockets....got new ones. Broke a couple open ended wrenches, and they replaced them.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Wait, get with the thread topic here guys, "Craftsman Sucks Ass"...

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I never had any problems with sear or craftman products... they are always more than willing to accomodate me

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
:think: I found a (very) rusted screwdriver in the dirt and they replaced it. I wasn't even the original owner. I just found the thing. Again, their service sucks. Jeez what are they thinking.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
jdschall said:
:think: I found a (very) rusted screwdriver in the dirt and they replaced it. I wasn't even the original owner. I just found the thing. Again, their service sucks. Jeez what are they thinking.
So, they replace rusty tools as well? I call BS.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Damn, I broke a wrench. I guess I can just stop what I'm doing, drive to Sears and get a new one. Wait, it's 9:30 pm on sunday. Hmm, since my car's dismantled, I guess I can ride the bus to work tomorrow and leave early and ride my bike across town to get a new one. Perfect!

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
will Snap-On replace a ratchet that's got a worn ball thing (the little round thing on the male end that is spring loaded).

that's an odd description.

J

JRB

the Inbred said:
will Snap-On replace a ratchet that's got a worn ball thing (the little round thing on the male end that is spring loaded).

that's an odd description.
yes - but it's 400% more for the initial investment.

*My inch pound torque ratchet has a broken dial on it. It seems to work, but it is broken, so you have to make sure it doesn't move. Torque ratchets only have a one year warranty. They are iffy about what they warranty now, but wrenches, screw drivers, hammers and such, they are good about. Power tools, not so much. I do have a good 4 1/2" grinder from them though.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
stinkyboy said:
So, they replace rusty tools as well? I call BS.

Seriously, I found an old craftsman screwdriver in my front yard all rusted to crap. It was very obvious I had dug it out of the dirt. I took and told the guy my story and he replaced it with a brand new one. I kid you not.

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
H8R said:
Wait, get with the thread topic here guys, "Craftsman Sucks Ass"...

well is she hot, cuz any chick willing to suck a...nevermind.

I melted an open end wrench by arching it across battery terminals, I went in with the burns on my hand and they replaced it.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
stinkyboy said:
Damn, I broke a wrench. I guess I can just stop what I'm doing, drive to Sears and get a new one. Wait, it's 9:30 pm on sunday. Hmm, since my car's dismantled, I guess I can ride the bus to work tomorrow and leave early and ride my bike across town to get a new one. Perfect!
Where are you going with this?

For the most part, if you use the Craftsman stuff for what it was intended for, it will last forever. If you abuse it, it will break.

And they will still replace it.

That is like using a SID World Cup for hucking and dirt jumping and trials and having Rock Shox replace it, years later, no questions asked.

Yeah, they suck.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
H8R said:
Where are you going with this?
I think their policy is great business, but it sounds like a lot of people are breaking Craftsman tools which is questionable. Although Robdadingus breaking a wrench while installing reflectors on his bike speaks for itself...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
stinkyboy said:
Robdadingus breaking a wrench while installing reflectors on his bike speaks for itself...
Which tool is defective?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
stinkyboy said:
I think their policy is great business, but it sounds like a lot of people are breaking Craftsman tools which is questionable.
Uh. Tools break. They're often used in high stress situations, and they break. Even Snap On tools break.

Craftsman tools are inexpensive enough to be affordable to the average guy, robust enough to hold up to most tasks, and the replacement policy covers the rest. Yes, they're going to break more often than top dollar, high end tools, but I can give you a yard long list of all the tools that I've had that I've broken, and have never mentioned - they just went in the trash. You hear about the Crafsman tools breaking in threads like these because people appreciate the warrenty.

I had a socket wrench that my dad bought about 30 years ago and gave to me about 6 or 7 years ago. Shortly after he gave it to me, the ratchet mechanism gave out - the tool was 20+ years old and had been used for a variety of purposes, including as a prybar and a hammer. Guy behind the counter looked at the handle long enough to make sure it said "Craftsman" on it, and handed me a new tool.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Park and Pedros should adopt this kind of warranty.

Especially for the Santa Barbara type kids that use cone wrenches to take off pedals.

:blah: