Quantcast

craigslist ridiculousness of the day

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
It's a Montague bike made for BMW. In 1996, the BMW/Montague Mountain Bike was chosen as the Official Mountain Bike of the Summer Olympic Games in Atlanta. BMW provided thousands of the "specially designed" mountain bikes to the Atlanta Committee of the Olympic Games. The bikes were used for transportation within the Olympic Village and for the closing ceremonies of the 1996 Olympics. Montague bicycles are/were also distributed through high-end consumer catalogs such as Sharper Image, Neiman Marcus, Hammacher Schlemmer and National Geographic.

yeah, it's probably worth no more then 100-150...

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
It always amazes me how deluded people can be about old bikes. I occasionally get hit up because I am a "bike guy", 95% of the time it's horrible crap.

Seller "Take a look at this, it's a good bike. Cost $500 back in the 90s" (Mid 90s low end bmx, 40 lbs of sh!t.)
Me "Uh that's not really anything I'd be interested in"
Seller "But it's a nice bike, look it has pegs! Tell your biking friends!"

I have heard that "It has pegs!" line twice now.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
It always amazes me how deluded people can be about old bikes. I occasionally get hit up because I am a "bike guy", 95% of the time it's horrible crap.

Seller "Take a look at this, it's a good bike. Cost $500 back in the 90s" (Mid 90s low end bmx, 40 lbs of sh!t.)
Me "Uh that's not really anything I'd be interested in"
Seller "But it's a nice bike, look it has pegs! Tell your biking friends!"

I have heard that "It has pegs!" line twice now.
Agrees...I had a freind tell my boss at one shop that he didnt know what he was talking about. Friend was trying to trade in a pair of mid 80s Miyata road bikes (Never ridden, of course...) with friction shifters and suicide levers, on some MTBs. Friend wanted $250 ea...boss offered $2.50 ea.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Agrees...I had a freind tell my boss at one shop that he didnt know what he was talking about. Friend was trying to trade in a pair of mid 80s Miyata road bikes (Never ridden, of course...) with friction shifters and suicide levers, on some MTBs. Friend wanted $250 ea...boss offered $2.50 ea.
Would have been worth a lot more if they had pegs.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There is one of those hanging in the Ducati dealership, I just noticed it last weekend. Had it not been for the awesomeness that is this thread, i would not have known what it was.

<edit> It's a BMW, Ducati, Triumph dealer.