Quantcast

Crampon Ultimates!!!

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I STILL own a set of the prototype Crampons, minus a few pins, they are still just as good as the day i got them. I am not sure when the protos came out, but these take a beating, since then, its been the ONLY pedal i use for any kind of offroad bike riding. (still use balds on the street bike) You dont have to buy them, but its your loss, they are seriously good products. You can save money elsewhere, but why would you?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I think the price thing is a little blown out of a proportion. It might be a little bit cheaper to have stuff made in Asia, but then you have to add in the massive cost of shipping, taxes and brokerage fees, increasing wages of Asian labourers and quite often a middle man (distributer). Then add on the cost of the store itself wanting some profit.

If something is made locally, a lot of those costs can be avoided or at least be much smaller.

But I would agree that prices these days seem to be quite out of hand on many items. How about $150-180 for a plastic chain guide? $60 for a bleed kit? Or how about certain frames not coming with a headset anymore etc etc. Just today I went into the local bike shop to pick up a set of seals for my Fox 36. I tried to get the old ones, but ended up having to buy the new SKF seals for $48.99 + tax ($55.36 total on the bill).

With that said, I'd try these pedals if I had the cash. They look pretty good.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
And no, you pricing isn't good compared to what it used to be. The Jedi used to be a steal, and was priced much more favourably than other companies. Now it costs more than some North American made bikes, and I can't figure out why. I know the bike has gone though a lot of changes, but the point remains that its asian made and more expensive. Wheels and stems are about what i'd expect though.

You are definitely not the only ones doing this though. Seems to be a sad trend in the industry.
There are sooo many factors involved. cost of materials, complexity of machining, forged parts etc. that all influence the price increase, smaller production numbers etc.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Maybe a shop here in the south can come up with a US production pedal. They seem to produce some pretty stout stuff currently. I9 hubs and spokes, Thomson stems/posts and Cane Creek 110 headsets are US made. It just takes a guy with a few hundred thousand extra to throw down on some good hi tech equipment and all of a sudden, you get an awesome product that's US made.

But yeah, it's gonna cost American money to produce. :(

supramk388

Chimp
Oct 20, 2010
Albuquerque
Well thank you Sean (and CB's) for a super fast shipment. These showed up last night so finally got them mounted up :D

From this morn.

First thing you will notice is these are little thinner now. Wow is all I can say. In the past I have heard people comment on the occasional squeak but that is a non-issue now. Also some have stated as well about small bumps on the ends of the pedals but that is gone as well.

I will get in some real DH action this afternoon but so far seems like an awesome pedal just got even better.

Only thing I might change is 1MM loner black pins but other than that life is good.

Eli.

Chimp
Aug 14, 2011
I think eventually we get carried away with making the pedals too thin. My $40 pedals are probably 25-30% thicker than these, but it's really not a huge difference when riding them. Let me know when super thin pedals aren't priced at $300+/season, because regardless of how thin they are they're gonna get smashed into something and damaged requiring replacement.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I think eventually we get carried away with making the pedals too thin. My $40 pedals are probably 25-30% thicker than these, but it's really not a huge difference when riding them. Let me know when super thin pedals aren't priced at $300+/season, because regardless of how thin they are they're gonna get smashed into something and damaged requiring replacement.
Have you spent much time on these pedals to make that comment? And how do you know you'll go through 2 pair a season? :confused:
If you're smashing your pedals that much, maybe you should look into changing your riding style or shorter cranks or something.

Eli.

Chimp
Aug 14, 2011
Have you spent much time on these pedals to make that comment? And how do you know you'll go through 2 pair a season? :confused:
If you're smashing your pedals that much, maybe you should look into changing your riding style or shorter cranks or something.
I have ridden thin pedals, I know what they feel like. No one is debating that they feel nice, but my $40 pedals feel close enough that it doesn't make a big difference.

And as long as these pedals are still aluminum there is still a good chance that they'll get torn up when I inevitably smash them into a rock. It's a function of a low bottom bracket, I'll end up hitting the pedals at least once or twice a season, which is usually enough to bend something or pull a pin out. It's easy to say "just don't hit stuff," but it doesn't quite work out that way for me in the real world.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
I have ridden thin pedals, I know what they feel like. No one is debating that they feel nice, but my $40 pedals feel close enough that it doesn't make a big difference.

And as long as these pedals are still aluminum there is still a good chance that they'll get torn up when I inevitably smash them into a rock. It's a function of a low bottom bracket, I'll end up hitting the pedals at least once or twice a season, which is usually enough to bend something or pull a pin out. It's easy to say "just don't hit stuff," but it doesn't quite work out that way for me in the real world.
If I had to buy new pedals every time I ripped a pin out I would have to buy 30 sets of pedals a year... Thats why pins are replaceable. And I find that with these super thin pedals I dont hit my pedals nearly as often. I dont know what 40 dollar bricks you are using but Im absolutly conviced that my 150 dollar crampons are constructed better.

SCARY

Not long enough
Well thank you Sean (and CB's) for a super fast shipment. These showed up last night so finally got them mounted up :D

From this morn.

First thing you will notice is these are little thinner now. Wow is all I can say. In the past I have heard people comment on the occasional squeak but that is a non-issue now. Also some have stated as well about small bumps on the ends of the pedals but that is gone as well.

I will get in some real DH action this afternoon but so far seems like an awesome pedal just got even better.

Only thing I might change is 1MM loner black pins but other than that life is good.
Man,looks like you put together a really sweet build.What did you get the weight down to?

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I might be giving Canfield a call this afternoon....my old MG-1's are dunfer and I really don't want to put them on my new DH rig.

Still not sure if I want to spend $120 on the old ones or $150 for the new ones though.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO

But you're speculating as to the durability of a pair of pedals that you've never seen in person, much less ridden enough to form an opinion? Have you seen pictures of the ones that their sponsored rider rode for a season? They've taken a lot of hits, and were still going strong.
canfield crmpn resize.jpg

Last edited:

supramk388

Chimp
Oct 20, 2010
Albuquerque
Man,looks like you put together a really sweet build.What did you get the weight down to?
Thanks, I can't not wait to have it done but still working on things. With new pedals and stem the bike sits just under 36 lbs. That is with 2 ply dh tires but that Totem is an air fork. I will be putting a Marz 2012 888 ti to finish things out with Canfield direct mount drop stem.

gollub01

Chimp
Sep 10, 2010
jh wyoming
hah ! Those hammered crampons are Mitch Ropelato's pedals ! Yes, smashed but he never broke them, He also said he never went over the bars all season from pedal impacts. This was when he was racing a Jedi for the world cups!