Quantcast

Crank Bros Headset Play

MX489

Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
Just installed a brand new Crank Bros Opium C Downhill Direct Set on my brand new 09 demo 8. There is play, I can rock the fork back and forth in the headtube. I installed it exactly as the directions say, step by step part by part. Pressed the headset in with a vice, and made sure everything was straight, all the way in and undamaged. It was really simple and I definitely have everything in the right order. Can't figure out where the play is coming from. Any suggestions? I have not put the top crown, star nuts, top cap or anything on yet but shouldn't it be solid anyways? Shouldn't just get sandwiched together to be held solid.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Just installed a brand new Crank Bros Opium C Downhill Direct Set on my brand new 09 demo 8. There is play, I can rock the fork back and forth in the headtube. I installed it exactly as the directions say, step by step part by part. Pressed the headset in with a vice, and made sure everything was straight, all the way in and undamaged. It was really simple and I definitely have everything in the right order. Can't figure out where the play is coming from. Any suggestions? I have not put the top crown, star nuts, top cap or anything on yet but shouldn't it be solid anyways? Shouldn't just get sandwiched together to be held solid.
You need to use the o-ring and install the top cap. Fully install the fork, headset and stem and then get back to us.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Just installed a brand new Crank Bros Opium C Downhill Direct Set on my brand new 09 demo 8. There is play, I can rock the fork back and forth in the headtube. I installed it exactly as the directions say, step by step part by part. ....... I have not put the top crown, star nuts, top cap or anything on yet but shouldn't it be solid anyways? Shouldn't just get sandwiched together to be held solid.
So, you haven't fully installed the headset then and wonder why it rocks back and forth?