Quantcast

crank bros.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I've used them for years. They are light, tough as hell, easy to get into and out of. The best IMO.

However - I have heard from several people that they have trouble getting out of them. I don't know why because they are dead easy for me. I've always used Sidi shoes so maybe its the shoe/pedal combo that is a winner for me.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Also used them for years. I've broken a few sets when smashing them against rocks but never anything that would ruin a ride. I like the candies. The small platform gives my foot a little more support and better control when cornering. I can usually find them really cheap when the go on sale at Performance.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've used them for years. They are light, tough as hell, easy to get into and out of. The best IMO.

However - I have heard from several people that they have trouble getting out of them. I don't know why because they are dead easy for me. I've always used Sidi shoes so maybe its the shoe/pedal combo that is a winner for me.
Egg Beaters + Sidis FTW.

Anyone who's ever gone to teh interwebz to piss and moan about how hard their egg beaters are to get out of didn't take the time to set them up right. Some shoes end up with some interference with the pedal, and then it is kinda hard to get out. The solution there is a spacer, included with the pedals, that gives adaquate clearance. I've got egg beaters, acids, and mallets. I like them. The acids have a bit better bearings than the others (needle bearing instead of a bushing for the inner portion of the axle) but they're all fine. Easy entry/ exit, light, great mud/ snow/ crap shedding, etc.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Don't buy shoes online. Fit is too important. Go to your LBS, try stuff on, and then buy them from the LBS for being helpful and letting you try them on.

moose99ps

Chimp
Jun 11, 2008
bend, oregon
Don't buy shoes online. Fit is too important. Go to your LBS, try stuff on, and then buy them from the LBS for being helpful and letting you try them on.
noted. i was planning on going and getting fitted and trying some on and then buy online.. id LOVE to buy here in town but im poor and online usually has good deals on stuff you know.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
noted. i was planning on going and getting fitted and trying some on and then buy online.. id LOVE to buy here in town but im poor and online usually has good deals on stuff you know.
Sidis are expensive. Worth it IMO, but I wouldn't break the bank to get them.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
When you go into a shop to get fitted, the shop is going to spend some money paying the sales guy to help you out, and is taking a bit of a risk by fronting the money to keep the shoes in stock. The least you can do is buy the shoes from them after that, rather than running to the internet to save a few bucks.

moose99ps

Chimp
Jun 11, 2008
bend, oregon
When you go into a shop to get fitted, the shop is going to spend some money paying the sales guy to help you out, and is taking a bit of a risk by fronting the money to keep the shoes in stock. The least you can do is buy the shoes from them after that, rather than running to the internet to save a few bucks.
yea i deffinately do understand that and i would feel bad doing it. do the sidis have wider sizes? ive got a rather wide foot so im worried about that when it comes to buying shoes that are going to cost me atleast 100 bucks from what ive gathered and the sidis would cost half what my bike cost..

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Three widths.

Honestly, I don't think it's worth buying shoes that cost half as much as your bike. There are better places for you to spend money. You can get some good shoes for 80-100.

moose99ps

Chimp
Jun 11, 2008
bend, oregon
Three widths.

Honestly, I don't think it's worth buying shoes that cost half as much as your bike. There are better places for you to spend money. You can get some good shoes for 80-100.
exactly my thoughts. so they do make shoes that cheap. so far all the ones ive looked at were like 150+ i guess i just need to go searching here in town. hab thanks alot for all your help. now if i get a diffrent pair of shoes i need a spacer or something i read above to make the pedals release right?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
exactly my thoughts. so they do make shoes that cheap. so far all the ones ive looked at were like 150+ i guess i just need to go searching here in town. hab thanks alot for all your help. now if i get a diffrent pair of shoes i need a spacer or something i read above to make the pedals release right?
The shop I work at sells their cheapest model, the Bullet, for $95 IIRC, but there's not much that distinguishes that from most other brands. It'd when you get up towards the Dominators and Dragons that they get extra awesome.

Some shoes have a deeper tread than others, and on those the tread can interfere with the pedal a bit. CB includes a little spacer with all of their pedals that goes between the cleat and the sole to effectively make the tread less deep. Most shoes don't need it, but some do. I've never seen a shoe that still had problems after using the shim.

moose99ps

Chimp
Jun 11, 2008
bend, oregon
The shop I work at sells their cheapest model, the Bullet, for $95 IIRC, but there's not much that distinguishes that from most other brands. It'd when you get up towards the Dominators and Dragons that they get extra awesome.

Some shoes have a deeper tread than others, and on those the tread can interfere with the pedal a bit. CB includes a little spacer with all of their pedals that goes between the cleat and the sole to effectively make the tread less deep. Most shoes don't need it, but some do. I've never seen a shoe that still had problems after using the shim.
what is it that makes these shoes so awesomely expensive? im just trying to learn as much about them so that when my choice is made its the best bang for my buck even if i have to wait longer and go a bit more expensive.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
what is it that makes these shoes so awesomely expensive? im just trying to learn as much about them so that when my choice is made its the best bang for my buck even if i have to wait longer and go a bit more expensive.
Well, for one thing they're made in Italy. That drives up the price a bit. Quality of construction is impressive, materials are top notch, they're incredibly durable, and the uppers are very well designed. They do a great job of wrapping around your foot and just making themselves fit perfectly. Kinda hard to put into words, but they feel like they were custom made for a lot of people. Not saying they're the perfect shoe for everyone by any means, but even though they're the most expensive shoes we carry, they're also the ones that we sell the most of. It's not that we push them either. We just give people shoes without mentioning price much (we won't bring Sidis or other really $$$ shoes for people who clearly can't afford them) and let them try them on. People usually don't bother asking about price until they've tried everything on, and they can tell that the Sidis are going to be expensive. But they're so comfortable for a lot of people that they end up going for them anyway.

That's basically what happened to me. I tried on a pair for grins and I was done for.

moose99ps

Chimp
Jun 11, 2008
bend, oregon
Well, for one thing they're made in Italy. That drives up the price a bit. Quality of construction is impressive, materials are top notch, they're incredibly durable, and the uppers are very well designed. They do a great job of wrapping around your foot and just making themselves fit perfectly. Kinda hard to put into words, but they feel like they were custom made for a lot of people. Not saying they're the perfect shoe for everyone by any means, but even though they're the most expensive shoes we carry, they're also the ones that we sell the most of. It's not that we push them either. We just give people shoes without mentioning price much (we won't bring Sidis or other really $$$ shoes for people who clearly can't afford them) and let them try them on. People usually don't bother asking about price until they've tried everything on, and they can tell that the Sidis are going to be expensive. But they're so comfortable for a lot of people that they end up going for them anyway.

That's basically what happened to me. I tried on a pair for grins and I was done for.
now question next.. is there a mtb shoe and a cycling shoe? or are they the same? ive noticed theres a diffrence in pedals so i figured there was in a shoe? and thanks for all of the info hab.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yes, mountain and road shoes are different.

Mountain:

Road:

Bolt patterns are different, and mountain shoes have more tread and a recessed cleat for walking.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
i run 661 shies and smarties and i agree they are dead easy to get out of! i mean i dont even need to think about it..... although i think shimano and time are better... just alot of money