Quantcast

Crank Brothers Iodine C Directset crown race removal armageddon

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
My Iodine C headset is done. Quite the surprise it took a lot of beating for unbelievable 6 years.

I hammered out the cups which is quite a hassle itself because of the super thin cup walls and installed a new headset. All set and ready. Wait, there is another piece, the tiny little bastard of a crown race sitting on my 36. And this little piece of metal gave me something to think about.

How the hell is this going to be removed? See these pics https://goo.gl/photos/HiWAtUfou5idZ6Rk8

There is no groove in the CSU you could use the pry it loose. And the race itself is so damn small too.

The only idea that came to my mind would be using a Dremel or the like and cut or grind it down until it is loose enough to be removed. Of course the crowns fit is very tight and was even a pita to install...

Any ideas :monkey:?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Take it to a bike shop where they should have the proper removal tool.
Unfortunately none of the shops around has a proper tool for this procedure.

The CB race is a special problem here because it's so small an low there is hardly any face where a tool like the Park Tool CRP-2 could go to work. My final try will be a utility knife's blade. If that's not working out too then there will be a rotating device killing it.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
I have hammered razor blades between crown and races before to get a little gap for a proper tool to fit. And progressively used bigger wedge to open the gap, like and eyeglass screw driver, then a pocket knife.

Also, penetration spray is your friend.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Your riding a six year old fork? I'd be retiring that myself. Too old. Having snapped off a steer tube once I do not care to repeat that. Like climbing equipment where a failure will be catastrophic, retire regularly.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Your riding a six year old fork?
No. I ride a 9 year old fork. :banana:

I'd be retiring that myself. Too old. Having snapped off a steer tube once I do not care to repeat that. Like climbing equipment where a failure will be catastrophic, retire regularly.
I had the lowers replaced and the damper cartridge PUSHed in 2009, replaced the 2009 seals and wipers with the SKF low friction ones in 2012, replaced the TALAS 1st gen POS with a Float conversion kit in 2013 and still no CSU creaking. As you can see it's a 1 1/8" straight steerer. So if I was to follow marketing and replace all my working -parts with newer-betterer-boostier-29plusier ones, I would have to replace my ass kicking ahead of its time geo long and slack Pitch as a whole with a new bike. Why?

I'm not the lamest duck on the trails, but I only weigh 66 kg/145 lbs, I don't see this steerer snap any time soon or late.

Blown240

Monkey
Nov 19, 2013
My fork is from 2007 and I've never done anything to it. And I'm fat.

Is it going to kill me soon?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
My fork is from 2007 and I've never done anything to it. And I'm fat.

Is it going to kill me soon?
Me too, me too.

I'm still rocking a 2nd gen Fox 36 Van and it is ever so pleasant to ride. Seriously, it has been a champ. One or two oil changes per year and only once did it ever blow out the bladder in the cartridge; and that was after two days of chucking my fatass on it, down Bromont.

I think my fork is 2008-2009ish?