Quantcast

Crank Brothers Iodine/Opium wheelset reviews?

thinkin' about pickin up a set of the iodines for my Yeti 4X. currently usage is 70% trail riding/30% 4x racing/DJ.

and if they hold up, i'm considering the opiums for my dh bike. admittedly, kinda got turned on to them from the Transition bike videos. I do like the theoretical advantages of a non-pinned/joined tubeless ready rim.

they're not the lightest weight for the price, and getting replacement spokes/parts might be a problem, but if they're durable as advertised, maybe that won't be an issue.

does anyone here run them? reviews would be appreciated.

TankerX

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
The best place Fo Sho
I inquiried about replacement and pricing are pretty high. They do crash replacements, remember it's a special rim as well for those spokes. I personally felt it will be too much of a hassle..just me .02 cents.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I'm planning on throwing a set on my '10 Stumpjumper and haven't found any comments on the engagement. I don't put too much stress on how quick it is as I have plenty of bikes that don't have Kings, just curious really.
Any idea what the freehub/ratchet system is?

-Kevin

guiepinto

Chimp
Nov 17, 2009
Brazil
Anyone has ridden these wheels long enough to share the experience with us?

I wonder if Crank Brothers will ever launch them with 135x10...

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
They may be fine for xc, but if you put a flat spot in that rim there aren't enough attachment points to pull it back to round. They look pretty, but there's a reason the standard spoke system is so popular. It just works.

ride

Monkey
Jan 11, 2005
I've been on a pair of Opiums since around October. Riding dh around 2x a week on average since then. Some more, some less given the weather etc.

It is pretty wet up here in the PNW this time of year, and they have performed great. I ride DH trails that are pretty long, 4-20 minutes depending on trail. So the wheels are definitely subjected to about as adverse conditions they would likely see anywhere. I have had zero issues so far. Both the front and rear rims are as straight as the day that I installed them.

The rear pawl system is based off of 6 offset pawls, so the engageent is very tight. This is one reason I am really looking forward to getting the Iodines for my slalom bike, and Covert.

The build quality is second to none. Also with none of the rims having spoke holes, it is a very simple setup for those folks that are interested in that tubeless thing.

That's about all I have now...

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
If I was going to use a system with proprietary stuff, I'd go I9 before CB. At least with I9, its just the spokes, and not the rim too thats proprietary . I am willing to bet the I9 stuff performs better too, with higher engagement and a stiffer wheel.