Quantcast

Crank Length for a DH rig

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I'm just about done building my DHR... aka frankenbike, and I figure it's time to think about the crank length. I have a 175mm mounted right now. Since I plan to race this at fontana, and I really wanna go fast along the wall, that the 175 is fine. I googled the topic and got mixed hits. Some say a 155 is about as short as you wanna go for DH, other say nothing less than 170. So... I'm a bit in the fog. :banghead:

Any input you guys have would be greatly appreicated.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The shorter crankarm has two advantages for dh: clearance and spinning.

The longer arm will hit rocks, particularily when the bike goes through its entire travel.

But shorter crankarms will also spin faster

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
The shorter crankarm has two advantages for dh: clearance and spinning.

The longer arm will hit rocks, particularily when the bike goes through its entire travel.

But shorter crankarms will also spin faster
true, however they have 2 advantages as well: power output and stability.

it's really like anything else, it's going to be a tradeoff either way. if you race on fast, open, not so tight stuff, get 175s or 170s. if you race in tight, rocky, tech stuff, get 165s or 170s. i personally opt to split the difference and run 170s.

i ran 175s on my DHR last year and found they were to long and i clipped nearly every rock, so i'm running 170s this year (i race in the northeast).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
also depends on body size and bb height. i'm 6'1", but since my bb is super low i have to run 165's, and i STILL smash the crap out of my pedals. I'd like to get back up to 170's. right now working with the builders to redesign the rear swingarm to tweak the geometry some.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Being that I'm still a noob at the DH game, I think I need some extra insurance clearing those pesky rocks. I'll be shopping for a set of 165's. Tenks very mucho!:cheers:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
One other thing: It will be most common to find 175mm crankarms, then 170's and finally in a distant 3rd place, 165.

I wouldn't pay extra for shorter arms unless you are absolutely sure that is what you want. I run 175's, btw.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
i am going back to 175's this year.

i have use from 160-175 and for most

i would not go below 170. you just loose

to much leverage.