Quantcast

crank length

rubrduk

Chimp
Sep 8, 2001
la canada
sooooo....i'm looking at some new cranks - what benefit if any would i get from a 180 or 185 arm length on my 26" 33x16 setup or should i stick with my 175 (i have shortish legs if that makes any difference...30" inseam)

i know 5-10mm is not much when looking at a ruler, but how does it affect the crank leverage

also...are the cranks/bb considered to be rotational weight or not - i just don't want this bike to become a pig so i'm keeping it on a healthy diet

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I have similar legs to you, got some 180mm cranks (I've always run 175mms), frankly hardly noticed the difference. Maybe can drag my heel a bit easier now. Supposedly there is more leverage, hence more power, but I think it's nothing you'd notice short of being in Le Tour or ****...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I've noticed(or invented it in my head) that 175s and longer cranks arms REALLY suck fuzzy sac when you have too easy of a gear! So you gotta look more at your gear ratio when choosing length than leg length, IMO.
Maybe hit up a 14t rear and your 180mms...

rubrduk

Chimp
Sep 8, 2001
la canada
I've noticed(or invented it in my head) that 175s and longer cranks arms REALLY suck fuzzy sac when you have too easy of a gear! So you gotta look more at your gear ratio when choosing length than leg length, IMO.
Maybe hit up a 14t rear and your 180mms...

:shocked:

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
I run 180s on all my bikes cept my DH rig. I think leverage gain is there when running 180s opposed to shorter. Also plays a part in balance as well.

Also think about your riding style, clearance can be an issue too. Run a search on this board I know there's past talks about crank lengths.

rubrduk

Chimp
Sep 8, 2001
la canada
Hey man, that's the best I can do for "wisdom" at 5:30 in the AM!

i was more in shock over the 14t remark...that's pretty stiff but if the long make up for it....hmmm

i did just think about it and i do like to ride up stairs alot which means some pedaling...so maybe i should stay on the short side